Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;43

My skin felt like it was on fire as his fingertips traced both sides of the my hip. I grabbed his hands and stopped him. He looked up at me confused but he didn't move as I begun to unbutton them off his body and didn't say a thing as I helped his legs out of his jeans. I let the garment fall to the floor and that's when I realized that this was the first time that I'd ever felt so undressed and defenceless in my entire life.

Both panting, we opened our eyes and stared at each other in the faint light. Beads of sweat had accumulated on his forehead and shoulders, and I leaned forward to kiss him.

“I love you,” he whispered gently and rolled to the side, pulling me to his chest and moving to pull the sheets up to our chins.

“That was amazing, Ty,” I pillowed my head against him and sighed, completely exhausted and quite radiant.

He smiled and kissed me lightly on the top of my head, running his fingers gently through my hair, “That was, and so were you.”

We both sighed contently and drifted off into a light doze, holding each other into the night, not caring about the world, only each other.

The door squeaking open the next morning disturbed my slumber. I grumbled in my near woken state and rolled over in Tyson’s chest. He was still asleep and had one of his arms wrapped around me, resting quite happily on my back.

“What the fuck?”

My eyes shot open and there was no doubt my cheeks now had a definite colour to them while Tyson just sleepily flickered his eyes open casually before yawning, “Hey Nick.”

Tyson sacrificed a bit of his part of the sheets and moved them more over me. He then sat up a bit, completely fine with the situation as Nick stood there awkwardly.

“So, uh, I see you’re back?” He mumbled to the floor.

I was just about to reply when my cell went off. Holding the sheets to my chest, I leant over Tyson and got the phone, “Ugh, it’s my Mom.”

“Oh,” Tyson said, doing a circle motion for Nick to turn around.

Once Nick had turned around, he got up and put his underwear and jeans back on before grabbing the tee on the floor on his way out with Nick, “We’ll let you talk in private.”

I nodded and answered the call, listening to my mother’s ramblings about how worried she had been and just how much trouble I would be in before trying to reason my case with her.

“Mom, I told you I didn’t-”

“Kaitlin! And I told you, you were not the adult!”

“Sorry for talking while you interrupting!” I snapped, the words laced with hatred.

The line went silent. I had a tendency to lash out at only the important moments and that was hardly ever. But when I did, it always came out as hatred.

“Kaitlin, what did I do to deserve this?” She started to sob.

“Mom, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it,” I sighed.

“All I was trying to do was make a better life for my daughter.”

“I’m sorry. I honestly didn’t mean it.”

“That’s not going to change anything, is it? You still don’t want to come with me.”

I sighed again, “O-O-Okay, I’ll come just please, stop crying.”

The sobbing continued on for a while until it died down and I had told her I would still live with her on the condition that we moved to either Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri or New Mexico. I had this all worked out in my head. If we just moved over the state line, technically my mother couldn’t complain about still living in Oklahoma and I’d still get to see Tyson and my friends on weekends.

I got changed into my clothes and went downstairs to find Nick sitting on the floor, sorting through a rather large pile of Tyson’s CDs. The sofa seemed like a good place to sit as I curiously watched Nick. It didn’t go unnoticed.

Nick sighed and put the CD he was looking at down, “Even though you were gone for barely a day, he was a complete mess, Kaitlin, you know?”

“Well, it wasn’t my fault that we had to leave. I came back though, didn’t I?” I asked.

“I never said it was your fault,” he said, with an attitude shining through.

“It sure sounds like that’s what you’re saying,” I replied, crossing my arms.

“Fine, you want to know what I’m saying?”

“Do enlighten me, Nick.”

“I’m telling you know as a warning, you leave again and it’ll break his heart and you’ll kill him. He was a complete mess for thinking he lost you once, imagine twice. Ty looks strong but honestly, he’s just like me when it comes to emotional things but a little more dramatic at times. Unlike you and how you just up and leave, I care about him. So, I’m telling you, as Tyson’s best friend, don’t break his heart,” Nick said, rambling on after the first sentence.

I was a little shocked at Nick’s tiny outburst. Did he honestly think I didn’t care about Tyson? I could not believe he was being so protective of his best friend like that. I went to reply but Tyson came back in.

He sat next to me on the sofa and wrapped an arm around my shoulder and kissed my cheek, “Hey Katie, whatcha guys talking about?”

Nick looked at me and I returned the glance, “Nothing,” Nick muttered.

“Nothing?” Tyson raised an eyebrow.

“No, we were talking about the CDs, right Nick?” I lied.

“Right, the CDs,” Nick nodded, returning to the musical discs.
♠ ♠ ♠
x)