Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;46

"What?" I asked blankly.

"You heard me," she mumbled.

"But Katie -"

"I've made up my mind, Tyson. I'm sorry."

I started to speak, then I change my mind and hurried down the hall to my room without looking back. I leaned against the door, waiting to see if there was any shouting, but everyone was silent. I sighed and opened my closet, reaching for the top shelf. My hand closed around the small box, and I opened it slowly. The ring sparkled in the light from the window. Why had I even bought it? Had I thought we'd make it through high school together? Had I really thought she'd want to be with me forever? I should have known that this would happen. At the time, the silver band and the two small diamonds had looked so perfect. Kaitlin would love it, I had thought. I'd used up all my savings on the stupid ring, and I'd never even get a chance to give it to her.

I heard the front door slam. She was gone now. Gone for good. And I was left with stupid fucking ring.

With a cry of frustration, I turned and threw the box as hard as I could, right out the open window. I hoped that it would hit her right in the fucking face, and she'd pick it up and open it and see how much she fucking hurt me.

There was a knock on my bedroom door.

"Go away," I said.

The door opened, and Nick stepped into my room. "Tyson -"

"Nick, fuck off."

"Ty, listen -"

"Nick, I said get out of my goddamn room right now before I punch you."

"I know you're upset, but this isn't my fau-"

"This is completely your fault!" I yelled. "Maybe if you weren't such a fucking dick to Kaitlin this never would have happened! Maybe if you didn't feel the need to interfere every time something in my love life goes wrong, and maybe if you didn't always blame her, maybe we would still be together and maybe I wouldn't have wasted all the money I had on a stupid fucking ring I never got to give her! Maybe you should forget about your stupid fucking crush on me and stop ruining my relationship!"

"I don't have a -"

"I don't care! I don't care what it is that makes you act like a dick to her, just fucking get rid of it or you can forget about being my friend!"

"I'm just -"

"If you tell me that you're just worried about me I swear to god I'll punch you."

"Okay, I'll just go," he said, sighing.

"Good idea." I replied.

He left the room, slamming the door behind him. I kicked the wall in frustration and collapsed onto my bed. I stared at the ceiling, trying to find some kind of hope for saving our relationship, but this time it seemed like we really were doomed, and now I didn't even have my best friend to help me through it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I figured Tyson needed to tell Nick off for realz this time :P