Sequel: 11:11
Status: Finished

All I Ever Wanted

Chapter Four

“No way, that shirt’s ugly, Lex.”
“This is actually my favorite shirt. Thanks, Jake.”
My brother Jake stands in the doorway to my room looking uncomfortable.
“Oh… Well I mean, what do I know? I’m just a guy.”
“Yeah and you’re all I have right now, so just help me pick out what to wear.”
“Well, I mean, I’m a guy-”
“Are you really? I never noticed. Stop saying that and just take me seriously right now! Please, I need your help with this. Jessica is grounded for the weekend.”
Jake walks further into my room and stares at the pile of clothes on my bed and shakes his head. He’s amused at my suffering.
“Um okay, well this is… nice.” He picks up a cute red top that I actually forgot I picked out. “And wow, this is awkward. This never leaves this room, got it? I will not be made fun of by my friends for helping my baby sister pick out an outfit for a date.”
I don’t remember ever mentioning that I have a date. No, I definitely never did.
“Date? What are you talking about?”
“Please, I heard you on the phone this morning. I had to pee so when I walked by your room to get to the bathroom I heard you laughing and I eavesdropped. Sorry, by the way.”
“Wow, it’s great to know that my privacy is respected. Whatever, so this is okay?”
I hold the red shirt up and he shrugs. I roll my eyes and pick up a pair of skinny jeans. This sends him over the top.
“Okay, seriously, they’re a pair of jeans. All jeans look the same. Pick whichever pair you want, Lex. You’re beautiful no matter what.”
He blushes when he realizes he just gave me a compliment and he’s gone from the room in under 10 seconds. Guys are so retarded.
I only have a half hour now until Alex said he’d be at my house and I’m starting to get really nervous. I have no idea what I want to wear. At least I have my hair and makeup done. My hair’s naturally straight so I really didn’t need to do much to it in order for it to look okay. And as far as makeup goes, I always only wear mascara and eyeliner, so that was pretty easy to do.
I have to agree with Jake about the red shirt he said was nice. I’ll wear that with black skinny jeans and my favorite sandals. When I told Jackie about the date when I woke up she was really excited, but told me she’s grounded so can’t help me out, which really sucks because she helps me out with everything. So I have to manage on my own. Okay, this really shouldn’t be so hard. All I have to do is change and chill out until he gets here.

30 minutes and 4 pieces of gum later, I see a car pull into our driveway. It’s a nice looking car. It’s red and shiny, and of course my brothers are already gaping at it from the window.
“That is a really nice car.”
“Oh my God, that’s like a brand new Honda.”
“Who the fuck is this guy?”
I see Alex walk up the pathway and I think my heart wants to jump out of my chest. This is so ridiculous. I’ve been on plenty of dates before this, why am I so damn nervous? Oh, maybe it’s because 3 of my brothers are waiting to open the door and once they realize who he’s here for, they’re gonna tear into Alex.
“Guys, be nice. I’m going on a date with him, okay?” I say in an attempt to keep them from being total embarrassments.
“What? A date? Good thing I stayed home, this guy looks like trouble, boys.” Max, who’s 20 and the third oldest, says and runs to the door so he can be the first to open it.
“No, please be nice!” I manage to say before the door opens and Max welcomes Alex inside.
He looks even better than he did when I first met him, if that’s possible. I’ve always said guys look better in tight jeans, and he proves my statement. And band tees are just hot. He’s already exceeded expectations, and he hasn’t even spoken yet.
“Hi, I’m Alex-”
“Nice to meet you. I’m Max, one of Lexi’s brothers. I just have a few questions for you if you don’t mind. Um, have you ever been convicted of a crime?”
Max is interrupted, thankfully, by Steven.
“Hi, I’m Steven. Ignore Max, he thinks he’s tough. And uh, this is our little brother James. ”
“Well, it’s nice to meet you. Hey, Alexis.” He says to me and smiles. “You look really nice.”
“Oh, thanks.” I know I’m blushing but I try to keep cool, because if I don’t not only will Alex think I’m a loser but my brothers will never let me live it down.
“Well, you guys have fun on your date. We’re just gonna go watch the playoff game.”
Steven leads them into the TV room so that leaves just me and Alex.
“I was thinking we could go to Sole? Is that alright? Or is there somewhere else you want to go?”
“No, that’s fine. I’ve never been to Sole, actually.”
“Oh, good. It’s really great. I go there a lot.”

The drive to the restaurant was only 15 minutes, and when we got there, there was a long line outside.
“No problem.” Alex says when he sees it. “My best friend works here. He has a table for us all ready.”
We walk in through a side door and are greeted by a tall skinny boy with black hair. Alex gives him a high-five and introduces us.
“Alexis this is my best friend, Jack. Jack, this is Alexis.”
“Oh, hey! You’re the girl he met at that school, right?”
“Yeah, that’s me.” I smile and shake his hand when he offers it and then we follow him to a table in the back.
“Here you go. I got to go man the front desk. Nice to meet you, Alexis.” He says and pats Alex on the back.
“Bye Jack, nice to meet you, too.”
I wave as he walks away. Alright, that was pretty successful. I just met one of Alex’s friends, and I don’t think I did anything too embarrassing.
“So…That was your best friend? He was nice.” I say when we sit down at our table. A waiter pours us two glasses of water.
“Yeah. I’ve known him since I was like 10.” He pauses to take a sip of water. “But seriously, all I know about you is that you go to catholic school, have 3 brothers, and you skip class.”
“Well, actually, I have 5 brothers. You didn’t meet Jacob or Daniel. And I don’t skip class, I promise. But um… I don’t really know what to tell you. I’m pretty boring.”
“I doubt that. Really.”
“Okay, well what do you want to know?”
“What are your parents like?”
I bite my lip and try to think about how to word this. Nobody ever really understands the situation.
“Well they’re never really home. They travel a lot so I don’t see them too much.”
“Doesn’t that bother you, though?”
“Yeah, it did. But I got over it pretty quickly.”
“Are they away right now?”
“Hawaii. They’ll be home soon though. Unless they decide to spend a few weeks in California visiting my aunt. They like to surprise us.”
“Wow… I’m sorry, that must really suck. I don’t know what I would do without my parents.”
“What are they like?”
“Well my mom is really cool. She owns her own store in town. She mostly sells jewelry. And my dad travels a lot for business but that’s only been happening recently, since I’m not a kid anymore. He used to be home all the time.”
“That’s awesome. I wish my parents were normal. But I’ve got my brothers, and they’re good enough… Do you live with your parents?”
“No, actually. Me and my friends saved up and bought a house. My parents helped out with paying for it but it was mostly out money. Jack’s one of those friends.”
“That must be so cool. I would love living with my friends.”
“Yeah, it’s fun. Most of the time, at least. See, we actually have a band together-”
“You’re in a band? You failed to mention that!”
He laughs. It’s adorable.
“Well I’m mentioning it now, aren’t I? Anyway, we have a band and we’ve been trying to get signed for like a year now but you know, it’ll take a while.”
“That’s so cool. When do you guys practice? I would love to watch.”
“Usually Fridays and Saturdays. But not tonight cause Jack is busy with something.”
“Well you got to let me know when your next one is. I mean, if you want me there, that is.”
“Yeah, of course I do. I… I like you a lot already. And I know I don’t really know you that well, but I haven’t felt like this in a long time, Alexis.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I loooveeee comments