Sequel: 11:11
Status: Finished

All I Ever Wanted

Chapter Five

When I walked into my house after Alex dropped me off, that’s when the concern started to sink in. Never once did he mention college, so I’m gonna assume he doesn’t go. I don’t know about you, but education is kind of important to me. Okay, and maybe I’m slightly concerned because my last boyfriend, Rian Allen, had no interest in school whatsoever and was the main reason my grades dropped so much last year. He was a huge distraction and made me feel like I was too into the whole studying thing. And that’s not the reason we broke up. That will more than likely be explained later.
I walk into the kitchen and two things happen. 1, I flip the light switch and they don’t turn on. They must be out. And 2, I notice someone sitting at the table. My brothers are such creeps. I think it’s Jake and he’s just not talking to anyone today. He has these phases every once in a while.
I flip the other two light switches, (they don’t work) and that’s when Jake decides to speak.
“The lights are out, obviously.”
I roll my eyes and glance over at the clock on the stove, which is pointless because duh. The power’s out so the time wouldn’t be displayed.
“Jake, what time is it?”
“Just after 11. Did you have fun on your…date?”
“Yeah, I did. He’s really nice.”
“So what’s wrong with him? You usually offer more details than that. And, nobody’s ever completely good enough for you.”
I stand there speechless because he just nailed me. He’s the only one who could guess that something was wrong, and it’s just my luck that he’s the one I meet in the kitchen.
“Um no he’s a great guy. He’s just … I don’t know.”
I sit down after pulling out a chair next to him.
“Explain, please. What does this guy not have? Health Care? Dental? Life Insurance?”
“Shut up, I’m not that bad. It’s just that he’s not very serious about . . . school. He never mentioned college and I didn’t want to bring it up because I thought that would be sort of awkward. I just like guys who care about education. That doesn’t mean, of course, that I wouldn’t go out with him again. I’m just saying that it could cause problems in our near future.”
“Near future? What, are you saying you like this guy so much he could possibly be my future brother-in-law? Oh but wait, maybe not because he doesn’t take education as seriously as you do? Okay, you need a wake up call.”
“Jake, shut up, I don’t need anything. I’m just, you know, keeping track of his interests and non-interests.”
“Oh man, this guy doesn’t know what he just got himself into.”
“Maybe I am slightly over the top about some things, but I will not let myself fall into the same pattern as I did when I was with Danny. I’m looking out for myself, believe it or not.”
I see Jake smile, or at least I think I do. I can’t tell in the dark.
“I don’t want to see that either. But you know not all guys are the same. Steven said Alex looked like a decent guy when they briefly met earlier. Maybe you could give him a chance. Education wasn’t important to me, and I’ve had a girlfriend for 3 years.”
“True.”
“Actually, make that fiancé.”
My eyes widen and my mouth drops open at the word ‘fiancé’. Fiancé? Fiancé?
“Are you joking me?!” He shakes his head. “You’re joking me! You asked Kasey to marry you?!”
“I did yeah. She said yes. I actually wasn’t supposed to say anything yet. She wanted to be here when I told you guys. She’s coming over tomorrow with breakfast, as usual.”
Every Sunday Kasey comes over and brings us food and hangs out for the whole day. Needless to say, we love Kasey. She provides for us more than Jake does. Or our own parents.
“Oh, so I shouldn’t have shouted that last part?”
“Yeah, probably not. But I think everyone else is either out or sleeping, so we’re okay. But anyway my point was-”
“Who cares what your point was! You’re engaged! Oh my God! This is so exciting! Did you talk about anything yet? A date? Oh, I think that June 3rd is pretty good, cause-”
“Shut up, Lex. We can talk about all of this tomorrow.”
“Fine, be that way… By the way… Why are the lights out?”
“I called the company and asked why. They said they didn’t know. Should be back on in an hour.”
“Oh.”

The lights did not come back on. It’s Sunday morning. 10:46 to be exact. My brothers and I are sitting at the kitchen table with no lights. All of the shades on the windows are open and I’m finding it very difficult to keep my mouth shut. I’m dying to tell everyone that we’re going to be planning a wedding, but I know that Jake would kill me if I do that. I glance to my left where Max is helping Daniel do a crossword puzzle. In reality, though, I think that Daniel, the 10 year old, is getting more answers than Max, the 20 year old who wants to be a lawyer.
There’s a knock on the door and, I swear to God, I’ve never seen 5 boys move faster than the ones in my kitchen did. One of them must have managed to open the door because 20 seconds later Kasey walks in carrying 2 bags. One holds bagels and the other holds a box of donuts. Well, at least that’s what I’m assuming is in them. That’s what she always brings.
“Hi guys. I have bagels and donuts, because, you know, I love all of you so much,” she says, placing the two bags on the counter.
“Yeah, but not as much as you love me, right?” Jake questions. She kisses him in response.
I don’t think I can keep this exciting information all to myself. They better say something during breakfast.

“So um, guys,” Jake starts, and with a glare from me he corrects himself. “Sorry, guys and Alexis. Kasey and I want to tell you something. It’s pretty exciting.”
“Are we getting a puppy?!” Daniel exclaims and he pushes his seat out from the table in his excitement. He’s been asking Mom and Dad about getting a pet for quite some time now. They said no. Of course.
“Uh, no. We’re not getting any animal of any kind. But we’re getting an addition to our family.”
I look down at my hands and chip off some old nail polish. I can’t stop grinning. He really just needs to say it already.
“Oh! Mom and Dad want to come back into our lives?” Max offers, and I cover Daniels ears. Max is so obnoxious sometimes.
“Max, really? Really? Let’s not go there. No, it’s not about Mom and Dad. It’s about me and Kasey. I asked her to marry me.”
You know that look that boys sometimes use that says ‘Oh, wow I’m happy for you, but I refuse to show any kind of emotion over such a girly thing like a wedding’? Yeah, that’s the one covering 3 of the 4 boys’ faces. Daniel is actually clapping.
“Is Kasey our sister now?”
“Sister-in-law, Daniel,” Kasey corrects. “And guess what? You’re going to be our ring bearer.”
“What’s that?”
“You walk up the isle carrying the rings. Sound good?”
“Yep! Is Max in the wedding too? Can he help me carry the rings?”
“All of your brothers are going to be in it. And Alexis, too.”
For some reason, although it would make sense, this shocks me. But only for a second. I completely forgot about wedding parties. God, I have so much to help plan.
Steven stands up from the table and makes his way to where Jake and Kasey are sitting.
“Well, my big brother’s getting married. Congrats, you two.”
There’s a chorus of ‘yeah’, ‘congrats’ and ‘It’s your turn next Steve!’ Steve blushes and quickly leaves the room. We’re a little tough on him when it comes to girls. He never brings his girlfriends home. Not one. And he’s had some pretty long relationships. But they’ve never been to our house. Currently though, he’s single. I think.
The kitchen quickly clears out leaving me and Kasey to do the dishes. But this is the usual.
“So have your parents called this week?” She asks and hands me a plate for me to dry off.
“No, but they’ll probably call sometime today. Or not at all. You know how they like to surprise.”
“Well… how do you think they’ll take the news that Jake and I are engaged?”
“They should be fine with it. And if not, then who cares? But in all seriousness, my mother is a huge fan of weddings. As long as she can help out a little bit with the planning, she’ll be all for it. And, both of my parents like you. It’ll all go over well, no worries.”
“I hope so… I still can’t grasp the fact that I’m engaged. It’s just so weird! I mean, one minute I have a boyfriend, everything’s normal, and then the next he’s down on one knee with a ring and I’m practically hyperventilating.”
“Yeah…”
“So. I heard you had a date yesterday. How’d it go?”
“Oh, you know… It was good. He’s a really cool guy. Really nice.”
“You like him, then?”
“Well, I don’t know him too well. I met him the other day and yesterday was our first date but I think I like him. Too soon to tell though, I guess.”
Kasey smiles and hands me the last dish. I dry it quickly before putting it into the cabinet.
“Has he called you since?”
“No, but it’s only 11:30. He could still be sleeping. No rush, though.”
“Oh please. You’re just waiting for that phone to ring, aren’t you?”
“No Kasey. I’m really not. Besides, the power’s out.”
And that’s when the lights flicker on.

To be completely honest, though, I was kind of waiting for him to call. At least to say he had a nice time. Maybe to ask me out again. Invite me to his next band practice. It’s 1:45 now and I’ve been catching up on homework for the past two hours. So far I’ve managed to write my History paper and do my vocabulary index cards. I’d say it was a pretty successful two hours.
When my cell phone does ring, I hesitate to answer. But only a second.
“Hello?”
“Tell me everything. And hurry, because I’m not supposed to be on the phone.”
It’s Jessica. The one time I don’t want it to be her.
“Oh, hey. Um, it went well. Really well, I think.”
“Where’d you go?”
“Sole?”
“Oh, wow. That’s expensive, and hard to get in to.”
“He knew a guy who works there. But anyway, he’s really sweet and adorable…”
“But?”
“How come everyone thinks I have something bad to say about him?” I wonder, mostly to myself but I say it out loud to Jess anyway.
“Because you always find something wrong with guys. It’s just the way you are, Lex. But it’s not a bad thing, trust me. You see things realistically.”
I roll my eyes. It’s a bad thing. I purposely find faults in most guys I meet so I don’t get too attached. That’s what Kasey says, anyway.
“It’s just that he didn’t mention college. Now, I’m not saying I wouldn’t go out with him again, I’m just saying that I don’t want what happened with Danny to happen again.”
“Trust me, it won’t. I won’t let it happen; your brothers won’t let it happen. You said Alex seems like a good guy. Go on a few more dates to make a final decision on him, Lex.”
My house phone starts to ring, and when I look at the caller ID, my heart drops. It’s my mom.
“Ugh, Jess I got to go. My mom’s calling.”
“Oh. Good luck with that… I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Okay, bye.”
I hang up my cell phone, take a deep breath, and then pick up the house phone.
“Hi, Mom.”
“Oh, sweetie! How is everything? Are you all okay?”
I pull at a string on my sweatpants and pause before I answer her with the same answer I always give for this question.
“Yes, we’re fine. Everything’s fine.” I tell her, and I hope this is going to be quick. Maybe I’ll get lucky and she’ll have a spa appointment in 10 minutes.
“Oh that’s great. I have a half hour before I have to meet your father for lunch.” Fuck. “He went to play golf with a few guys he met. Oh, Alexis, you’ll never guess where I just came back from!”
‘A spa appointment with the girls you met at a book club you signed up for’ is what I want to say, but I know she wants to tell me everything herself.
“Where?”
“I had the most wonderful time. First me and some of the ladies I met at my coffee club – we discuss all different types of coffee – went to breakfast. It was free at the hotel. And then we all went to this wonderful spa. Oh, it was fantastic. I feel so relaxed!”
“Wow, Mom. That’s really great. I’m glad you’re having a fun time.”
“Oh Alexis. It is so much fun. We went snorkeling on Tuesday and scuba diving on Thursday. You know, I was telling your father that for our next family vacation we must bring you kids here. You would all have a blast.”
Yeah, I’m sure we would have a blast. While you and dad go off on some excursion by yourselves and we’re stuck at the hotel, where all there is to do is swim in the pool and attempt to talk to the kids from other countries who don’t speak English. That’s what happened in Puerto Rico. I told myself that I could not ever let that happen again.
“Hey, Mom? When are you two coming home?”
That was a daring question. I shouldn’t have asked.
“Oh, honey. I’m not sure. I was hoping to be home on Monday, but your father is really enjoying himself, so it might be Wednesday or Thursday. But don’t worry, we bought you kids so many things. You’ll love the cute shirts and bikinis I got for you.”
Yeah, Mom. Buy me things and I’ll love you forever, no matter how much you’re away and never there for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you like it =]