‹ Prequel: Wilted and Faded
Sequel: You Made Me Happier

You Could Be Happy

I hope you are

Frank sighed as he shifted in his seat, bored out of his mind. He, Mikey, Gerard, Ray and Bob were on their way back to New Jersey for a week off before they began rehearsing the new album.

Tapping his fingers on his dark denim thighs he looked around the plane for something to entertain himself with. Gerard was drawing, Ray was listening to his iPod, Mikey was playing on his PSP and Bob was sleeping. Frank sighed again, puffing out his cheeks. Glancing over Bob’s sleeping form he noticed the glossy cover of People lying on the empty seat beside his friend.

Frank reached over and began flicking through the pages of the magazine. It was filled with the same old ‘she’s so fat’, ‘she’s so skinny’, ‘she’s so drunk’ until he spotted someone familiar. He smiled as he read the headline on the double page spread of paparazzi photos, ‘Ruby West steps out in style on the streets of Rome.

Her hair was a little longer and the blonde and pink streaks were gone. She had put on a little more weight and she looked better for it, the loose black tube top and tailored white knee-length shorts she wore flattered her figure. His smile grew when he noticed the necklace he gave her was still around her neck.

His eyes landed on the small article at the side of the page.

‘Looking city chic in a casual monochrome outfit reformed party-girl Ruby West has been spending the last three months in Europe, sparking rumours that she has left American soil for good.

The motivation for the trans-Atlantic move, initially back to her hometown of London, England, is thought to have been the sudden, tragic death of best friend and up and coming model, Christian Baker, at the age of 20.

Ruby sought refuge at her older brother, music producer, Johnny West’s $5 million San Diego home where she ‘cleaned up’ her hard partying lifestyle.

The estranged daughter of rockstar Jack West reportedly inherited the estate of her mother, supermodel Rachel Harris, who died 5 years ago after a short battle with breast cancer. The inheritance is thought to be a Georgian townhouse in London, an apartment in Paris, a retreat in Tuscany, Italy and $7 million as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of haute couture gowns and jewellery.

Thought to be spending time with her grandmother in Italy, we wonder if the part-time model will be returning to her American roots sometime soon?’


Frank smiled slightly, glad that Ruby was doing well but feeling guilty that they hadn’t, through neither’s fault, kept in touch as well as they had both hoped. He had last spoken to her the day that she had found out about the huge inheritance from her mother. Scared and unsure she had chosen to call him for reassurance, although he wasn’t sure how much he had helped.

He rolled his head back against the headrest and sighed. After Ruby had left the band had thrown themselves into recording the album so between that, the eight hour time difference and how busy Ruby had been they had played phone tag for a few weeks before the messages became fewer and fewer until they eventually stopped.

Frank closed his eyes as he remembered the time they had spent together at Johnny's house and the kiss they had shared in the airport the day she had left. It was one of the best he had experienced and he badly wanted it again but he was worried that he had missed his chance.