Status: On Indefinite Hiatus.

Falling

Waiting To Ask

Mesamia

I walked around the place, taking in the setup. Not a bad place, not at all. I could get used to coming here. I went up to the bar and ordered a soda. Not one for alcohol. “Thanks.” I said to the barkeep, handing him a five. He looked at my card, which I hung around my neck, and shook his head. “No charge.” I stood for a moment, then shrugged and walked over to the stage. More people were getting here. The place was filling fast. I walked to the edge and spotted Gerard, standing alone in the corner.

“Hey.” I said once I was close. “What’re you doing way over here?” He looked up slightly, and then brought up his head when he saw it was me. “Oh I… I… I’m waiting for the band to start setting up. The first band is usually the best.” It was a lie and I could tell. “And by that you mean you don’t feel like talking to people. I get it. Guess you guys do come here a lot.” He was shocked. Maybe I came off wrong. Bitter maybe. Oh no, that’s not a good way to start off… crap. I wondered what I could say that might show I wasn’t trying to sound rude, but he talked first.

“How can you read me like that?” Huh? Not what I was expecting him to say. “What?” I asked, caught off guard. “I said, how can you read me like that? Frank’s been my friend since like, kindergarten, and he wouldn’t be able to tell you much more than that. Actually, he’d probably explain my behavior as a result of ‘not getting to watch my favorite movie today.’” I laughed. Then I wondered if he was being funny, or sorry for himself. But he smiled, and I relaxed.

We spent the rest of the night like that, Gerard and I, watching a few bands and talking. He talked about people in Monroeville, who to watch out for and who to make friends with. Most of the night he asked about me, though. What was it like in Nevada? Have any friends there? What was your favorite part about living there? Who do you live with?

I answered his last question with a slight cringe. “Just my dad.” He paused, probably debating what to do with this information, and then he asked a different question. “Did you have a boyfriend?” I went a little red, knowing this was a question he’d most likely been waiting to ask. “Ha, uh. No, I didn’t. Don’t.” I watched him for a second, but he didn’t give anything away. He just nodded and distracted himself with the band. Or seeming to. “What about you?” I asked. “Any special someone in your life?” I gave him a crooked smile. He looked shocked at the question. I began to feel like I’d offended him again. “Uh, never m-”

“Nope.” he replied. He may have picked up on my nerves acting up. He gave me a slight smile. His smile must have calming effects, I thought, because it makes me feel so much better about New Jersey.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yo; Comment Please. :]