Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Chapter 13

“Brian!” Angie said suddenly, glancing over the rim of her glasses from the pile of paper work she was quietly working on.

“Yes Angie?” he replied sitting up a little straighter on the bar stool he had been perched on for the past hour.

“For my sake as much as yours, please just say what you have to say soon, you’re driving me crazy.” She replied with a smile as she returned her attention back to the stock list.

“I, um, well…hey how do you know I have something to say?” he asked. Angie shook her head gently and rolled her eyes as she lifted her gaze once again and removed her glasses.

“Honey you’ve been sat there quietly for an hour now, which is strange in itself and then about forty minutes ago you started doodling and even though you’ve thought you’ve been silent the entire time, your lips have been moving ever so slightly as if you’re quietly running over something you have to say in your head. So for the love of Jack Daniels please just say whatever it is you’ve been rehearsing.” She replied rendering Brian speechless and slightly confused. He looked at her for a moment as she once again returned to her work; amazed at how she had noticed all of that when she had seemed engrossed in the paper work she had been busily working through so that she could spend the rest of the shift relaxing.

“Well, actually you’re right, there is something I’ve been wanting to ask you.” he began nervously.

“Keep going.” She said glancing up briefly with a smile on her face. Brian inhaled deeply before continuing, actually thankful that she was seemingly distracted by her paper work, he wasn’t sure if he could be doing this if she was watching him.

“Okay. It’s been a month now since, well since Aimee left and well I was wondering if maybe, well, I thought that you might, um, I was going to ask you if I could, well,” he paused to take another deep breath. “wouldyougoonadatewithme?” he rushed out nervously.
Angie lifted her head from her paper work, looking over at him with a smile. “Pardon?”

“Please don’t make me say it again.” he muttered with reddening cheeks.

“Just say it slowly.” she said quietly, reaching a hand over and placing it on top of his larger one.

“Okay, I was wondering, if you, Angie, would like to go on a…date with me?” he said as calmly as he could manage at that moment.

“Yes, I’d love to.” she replied with a beaming smile.

“What really?” he asked wide eyed.

Angie giggled at the look of surprise on his face. “Brian, you know I like you, so why wouldn’t I say yes?” she replied smiling as she looked into his eyes, her fingers lacing with his.

“I just thought, I guess with what you said after I…kissed you, and with all that stuff with…him I thought that you might not want to…yet.” He replied with a slight blush on his cheeks.

“So where are you going to be taking me?” she asked with a smile.

“Oh, well I was thinking we could go for a meal somewhere whenever you have a night off.” he said.

“Sounds good to me, I’m off tonight if you want?” she replied.

“Um, yeah, yeah I can do that. I just need to go make a few phone calls, book us a table somewhere.” He began with a wide smile, slipping off the stool. “I’ll see you later.” he said letting go of her hand and quickly pecking a kiss at her cheek before turning to leave.

“Bri!” she called after him causing him to stop and turn back to face her. “I finish at five, so anytime after seven will be good.” She said watching him nod before turning back and heading out the door.

She found herself biting her lower lip as she watched him leave, a true feeling of happiness washing over her as the reality of what had just happened sunk in. Brian had asked her out. They were going on a date. That thought put an even wider smile on her face as she turned her attention back to the stock sheet.

“Tell me! Tell me now!” Stuart’s voice demanded startling her from her thoughts. As hard as she’s tried to concentrate on the stock sheet in front of her since Brian had left an hour before, she had found herself day dreaming, thinking about where he would take her and what she would wear.

“Tell you what?” she asked knowing that she was blushing.

“What, or should I say who has put that shit eating grin on your face?” he replied taking a seat on the stool that Brian had been sat on.

Angie felt herself blush more and quickly diverted her eyes, still unable to remove the smile that had seemingly taken residence on her lips.

“Neil! Who has she spoken to this morning?” Stuart hollered down the bar at the barman.

“All I know is that Brian was here earlier and he left with a bit of a spring in his step.” He called back.

“Really now? So what’s Haner done to get you smiling like this?” Stuart asked, narrowing his eyes with a playful smirk.

Angie was silent for a moment, shyness suddenly washing over her, an emotion she wasn’t usually known for. “He asked me out.” she said quietly.

“On a date?” he replied loudly.

“Is that so hard to believe?” Angie retorted with wide eyes.

“No, I didn’t mean it that way; in fact I’m pretty shocked it’s taken him this long to ask you, it’s pretty obvious he likes you. Where’s he taking you?” he replied.

“I’m not sure yet, he went to try and book us a table somewhere.” She replied, still not being able to shake the smile from her lips.

“It’s tonight?” he asked.

“Yeah.” She said with a simple nod.

“Oh My God, what time? What are you going to wear?” Stuart screeched excitedly.

“Okay, firstly calm down, it’s me that’s going on this date not you and secondly the answer to both those questions is I don’t know.” She replied with a chuckle.

“Sorry, got carried away.” he replied.

“You seemed to have had a change of heart about Brian.” Angie said quietly.

“I’ve always thought he was a nice guy.” He defended with a shrug.

“You know what I mean Stu. All those warnings you gave me about allowing myself to fall for him.” she replied sternly.

“That was when he was with Aimee. Over the past couple of weeks, anyone can see how much he cares for you. You deserve to be happy again.” he replied.

“I am happy.” She replied with a smile again tugging at her lips.

“Not like you were before David. He spoilt a lot of your happiness Ange.” Stuart said sadly reaching out to place his hand on top of hers.

“I know.” She replied with a saddened smile.

“Right, okay, I can cover the last hour of your shift; I want you to head home and get yourself ready for tonight. No arguments. Go!” he ordered pointing his finger towards the door.

“And I’ll be up waiting for all the gossip.” He added as she tidied up her paperwork.

“So I can’t go inviting him in for coffee then?” she asked sarcastically as she grabbed her cell phone, keys and purse off the bar.

“Oh hell no! Not on the first date.” Stuart mocked as she leaned up to peck his cheek before heading out of the bar.

***

Slipping the collection of bracelets over her wrist as she stood in front of the long mirror, Angie ran her eyes over her reflection. She’d been glad of the extra hour and a half Stuart had given her to get ready as she’d somehow gotten nervous and had taken over an hour to decide what to wear. Nervously tugging at the material of her top she jumped at the sound of a knock at the front door. Taking a deep breath and one last fleeting look in the mirror Angie made her way towards the front door, pushing a smile onto her lips as she opened it to reveal a nervous looking Brian stood on the other side.

“Wow, you look…. Beautiful. I’ve never seen you look so girly.” He said as his eyes swept over her body appreciatively.

“Thanks.” She replied feeling herself blush again.

“And hey no converse.” Brian replied pointing down at the black pumps on her feet.

“Yeah, so stay close, I’m not going to be walking too steadily in these.” She replied with a small chuckle.

“In that case, I won’t leave your side.” He replied with a smirk as he stepped forward and took her hand in his.

“So where are you taking me?” she asked as he led them out through the door and towards his car.

“Tuna Town. You do like seafood and stuff right? They do steaks and stuff if you don’t, shit I forgot to ask what type of place you’d pref-“

“Brian. I love seafood.” She interrupted.

“Really, you’re not just saying that?” he asked holding the passenger door open for her.

“Yes Really. Now stop worrying.” She replied with a smile. He shut the door once she was settled and was quickly in the drivers’ seat and pulling out of the driveway.

“You know people don’t you?” Angie said quietly over her menu as the waiter got their drinks.

“Of course I do, I know you, and Stuart and M-“

“You know what I mean. Here. You know someone high up.” she replied.

“I’m good friends with the owner yeah. If I’m honest that’s how I got a table tonight.” He replied with an embarrassed smile.

“Called in a favour hey?” she replied with a smile.

“Actually I owe him now.” He replied as the waiter brought over a bottle Sauvignon Blanc.
Cali smiled as he poured them both a glass and placed the remainder of the bottle in an ice bucket.

The waiter took their orders before leaving them to their own company yet again.

“Can I ask you something?” Brian asked sounding slightly nervous.

“Of course.” Angie replied sipping her wine.

“Are you…nervous?” he asked quietly.

“A little yeah, but I don’t know why. It’s weird.” She replied watching Brian relax slightly at her words.

“I was expecting this to be easy what with us being friends, but I just feel like I’m going to say something stupid and ruin everything.” he explained.

“Maybe, all we need to do is forget that this is a date and just think of it as two friends having dinner together.” she suggested with a smile.

“That could be harder said than done with you sat there looking so fucking hot, but it sounds like a plan.” Brian replied smirking as he watched Angie blush.

“You know, this is a little embarrassing to admit, but this actually the first date I’ve been on since leaving high school.” Brian said taking a sip of his wine.

“Seriously?” Angie replied as the waiter brought over their meals.

“Yeah, after I spilt up with Tara, the girl I was dating in my senior year, I played the field a bit, including hooking up with Aimee on a few occasions, which just progressed into a relationship without us even realising it.” He explained with a slight shrug of his shoulders.

“Wow, and here’s me thinking I was a freak for not being on a date for three years.” She replied smiling as she took a bite of her halibut.

“Three years?” he asked inquisitively taking a bit of his Ahi steak.

“Yeah, well, not that I’m proud of it, but before David I played the field as you put it too. And before that I was with Gavin for two years.” She said with a saddened smile. “He was jealous of Stuart.” She added answering the question she was sure was on Brian’s lips.

“What? Seriously? He fucked up a possible future with you because you’re friends with Stuart?” he asked with shock.

“Yep. He just couldn’t handle the fact that he was my best friend. We had an argument one night and he stormed off so Stu came over to be my shoulder to cry on and we ended up falling asleep curled up on the bed together, fully clothed mind. Well anyway, Gavin came back and went absolutely crazy, yelling at us, accusing us of having an affair behind his back. Needless to say I didn’t speak to him again.” she explained.

“He realised that he was gay right?” Brian asked with a bemused grin.

“Apparently that didn’t make a blind bit of difference to him. He thought Stuart was a threat, and couldn’t handle it.” She replied.

“Jackass.” Brian mumbled.

“You’re telling me.” she replied with a roll of her eyes.

“So what made you choose Huntington?” Brian asked.

“After David, Stuart and I agreed that I needed to get as far away from Denver as possible, he’d made my life hell and I needed a fresh start. We job searched across the country and when this job came up we knew we had to go for it, there weren’t too many options that kept us together. This was perfect for us and we were beyond lucky to get it.” She replied with a smile.

“Well, I’m certainly glad that you managed to get the job.” He replied with a smile, his hand reaching across the table to rest on top of hers.

“Me too.” she replied with a blushing smile.

With their meal finished and dessert eaten, Brian paid the bill before driving them both home. He pulled into his driveway and quickly walked around the car to open Angie’s door for her, taking her hand in his as he walked her slowly across to her front door.

“Now see, that wasn’t as bad as what we first thought was it?” she said quietly as they came to a halt outside her door.

“No, I really enjoyed myself, I always do when I’ve got you for company.” He replied as he took her other hand into his, pulling her ever so slightly closer to him as their eyes locked on each other.

Angie smiled up at him, lost in his deep brown eyes. Without realising it she found herself leaning up slightly towards him as he lowered his head with a slight tilt, their lips meeting in a soft yet breathtaking kiss. A small moan passed her lips as they separated, their eyes finding each others again.

“I would invite you in for a night cap but I know Stuart is sat on the sofa waiting for all the gossip or if he’s heard your car pull up he’s probably got his ear pressed up against the door listening.” She said her voice increasing in volume slightly and suppressing a laugh as she heard the sound of footsteps retreating from the front door. “I know him so well.” She muttered with a smile.

“That’s okay; I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks for a lovely evening.” He replied, leaning down to capture her lips with his again. again she moaned as their lips parted, in that moment wanting nothing more than to deepen the kiss, than to take him inside.

“Good night Angel.” He said softly, slowly releasing her hands, noticing how she tensed up slightly.

“Good night Bri.” She replied, watching him walk away taking a deep breath to calm herself before letting herself into her house, ready to receive the Spanish inquisition.
♠ ♠ ♠
After the seriousness of the last couple of chapters I thought it was time for a nice fluffy one :)
As always a big thanks for all the comments after the last chapter, and thanks also to all my silent readers :)
More comments are always welcome :)
Angie Work
Angie Date