Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Chapter 18

“Babe? Babe are you okay?” Brian’s whispering voice broke through her sobs. Slowly she raised her head from where she’d buried it in her knees that were pulled up to her chest, her eyes meeting Brian’s as he squatted in front of her.

“Where is he?” she asked in a whisper. Brian turned his head with a nod towards the ground. Angie followed his line of sight and found David still and unconscious on the floor of the alley.

“Babe, are you okay?” he asked again turning his attention back to her.

“I just need to get out of here.” She replied quietly, turning her head back to face Brian.

“Okay, come on.” He said holding out his hand for her to take.

“Bri, is he…is he dead?” she asked as they made their way past him and back into the bar.

“Unfortunately no. I somehow made myself stop after he fell unconscious. He’s going to be in a bad way for a long time though.” He replied coldly as he locked the door behind him.

They quickly made their way through the bar, Brian taking charge of locking everything up and setting the alarm before he led her out to his Escalade. Brian drove quickly and in silence, his right hand resting on her knee.

He pulled sharply into his driveway and took hold of Angie’s hand as he led her towards his house. He stopped as he was about to place the key in the lock and turned to look at her.

“Would you rather go back to yours?”

“I don’t care where we go, just don’t leave me.” she replied gripping his hand tighter.

“I’m not going anywhere babe, come on.” He replied softly opening his front door and leading her into his living room, shutting and locking the front door behind them.

“I need a shower. Can I take a shower here?” she asked, her voice shaking.

“Of course you can babe; I’ll get you a towel. Do you want me to pop next door to grab you some fresh clothes or something?” he replied quietly.

“No, don’t go, I can’t…” she stuttered gripping hold of his hand.

“Okay, okay, I’m staying. I’ll find you something. I won’t go anywhere.” He replied pulling her gently into a hug. “It’s going to be okay.”

Angie stepped into the shower and stood under the hot steamy water, allowing it to cascade over her body. She could still smell David and she needed to get rid of it. Tears were washed away from her face as she scrubbed soap over her body.

She wasn’t sure how long she was in there, but as she stepped out she wrapped her body in the black fluffy towel that Brian had given her. She then made her way out of the bathroom, finding Brian sat in the kitchen, a bag of frozen peas pressed against his right hand.

“Let me see.” She said quietly as she stood next to him, gently taking hold of his hand and removing the peas.

“Bri I’m so sorry I –“

“It’s not your fault babe, and don’t worry about me, I’ve looked worse after a fight. And at least this one was worth it.” He replied softly. “Not that he did much fighting back.”

“I’m scared Bri.” She whispered. Brian looked up and reached his hand up to cup her cheek, raising her head so that he could look up into her eyes.

“I told you that I wouldn’t let him hurt you didn’t I? I meant that. He’s not in any position to do anything to you right now, and if he’s got any sense then he’s going to leave Huntington as soon as he regains consciousness.” He replied quietly.

“But Brian, he’s…”

“Shh, no more worrying, you need to get to bed.” he interrupted with a smile. “We’ve got a twentieth date tomorrow remember. That’s if you feel up to it of course.”

A small smile broke across her lips as she looked into his shining brown eyes. “I can’t wait.”

“Good, now I found you a t-shirt and shorts for you to wear, I’ll join you in a second.” He replied kissing her cheek, tugging slightly at her towel. She nodded and turned to head to Brian’s bedroom. She finished drying herself, pacing her damp hair into a messy bun before getting into the large bed. When Brian joined her he wrapped his large tattooed arm around her middle and pulled himself as close to her as he could, placing a kiss at the crook of her neck.

She sighed softly, feeling a million times better just from the simple gesture. Brian made her feel so safe and secure. With him there she knew David couldn’t hurt her.

****

Brian bolted upright at the sound of Angie screaming, his arms reaching out to pull her shaking body towards him.

“Shh, baby it’s okay, it was only a dream, you’re okay.” he whispered quietly as she sobbed into his chest.

“You’re okay baby.” He added softly as her sobs subsided.

“He was laughing at me, all I could see was his face covered in bruises, laughing at me.” she replied quietly against his chest.

“Babe, I promise you, it was a dream, just a bad dream.” He replied softly. He held her close for a long while, running his fingers soothingly through her hair and placing soft kisses on the top of her head.

She finally pulled away from his warm, safe embrace and wiped the excess tears away from her eyes. “I’m sorry, I –“

Brian quickly placed the index finger of his right hand on her lips to stop her from talking.
“Will you stop apologising? You’ve got nothing to be sorry for.”

“I’m so- okay; thank you Brian.” she replied with a smile.

“There’s no need to thank me neither. I’m only doing what any normal boyfriend would do. Now I’m going to go make some breakfast. Are you joining me?” he asked with a small smirk playing on his lips.

“Pancakes?” she asked with a smile.

“If that’s what the lady wants, that’s what the lady gets.” He replied pecking her lips before getting off the bed and holing his hand out to help her up.

“It’s been a while since anyone called me a lady.” She giggled as she followed him out to the kitchen. “In fact I don’t think I’ve ever been called a lady.” She added as she pushed herself onto the stool at the breakfast bar.

“Well, the lady’s going to have to wait a little longer for pancakes as I haven’t got any mix here.” Brian replied turning to face her as he closed the cupboard door.

“No, it’s okay, I’ll just have cereal or something.” she protested.

“No, I’ve promised pancakes so pancakes it will be.” He replied grabbing his keys off the counter. “I’ll just pop to the store. I’ll be ten minutes tops. I promise.” He leaned across the counter and pecked her lips.

Before he could reach the front door, there was a loud knock from the other side. Opening the door, Brian took a step back, shocked at the sight of two police officers stood on his doorstep.

“Mr Haner?” the one stood closest to him asked sternly.

“Yes that’s me.” Brian replied.

“Mr Haner, I’m Sergeant Thompson and this is Officer Jenkins, we need to ask you a few questions about an incident that happened last night.” The first one said.

“Um, okay.” Brian replied feeling his heart rate quicken, hoping to any God that was willing to listen that they were talking about an incident that had happened at one of the bars his security company worked at.

“Sir, we have reason to believe that you were involved in a serious incident outside of Beach Front Bar last night after it had closed.” Officer Jenkins said.

“An incident?” Brian replied noticing that Sergeant Thompson was eyeing up the bruises on his knuckles.

“Yes sir, we have a victim in hospital with some serious injuries who’s claiming that you assaulted him last night in the alley way behind the bar.” The Sergeant replied raising his gaze to meet Brian’s.

“Sir, we have to ask you to accompany us down to the station for a formal interview.” Officer Jenkins said removing his handcuffs from his belt.

“No!” Angie gasped from where she’d appeared in the doorway. “No!”

“Baby, it’s okay, I’m going to be fine.” Brian assured her quietly as his arms were drawn behind his back and placed into handcuffs.

“No! You can’t take him, he’s done nothing wrong.” She continued to protest as he was led out of the house where there was a squad car parked on the driveway.

“Babe, I promise you, this will be okay, I’ll be back before you know it.” Brian replied as he was ushered into the car.

“But it’s not you’re fault, it’s David they should be talking to, not you, David!” she yelled with tears falling down her cheeks.

“Angie? What’s going on? What’s happened?” Stuart asked running across to her as the squad car pulled out of the driveway.

“They’ve arrested Brian.” she said through tears.

“Arrested him? For what? What’s David got to do with all of this?” Stuart asked.

“I’ve got to get to the police station. I’ve got to tell them the truth. It’s David they should be talking to, not Brian.” she rambled walking past Stuart and into their house.

“Angie! Wait! You need to explain to me what’s going on!” he called after her.

“David turned up at the bar last night, well outside in the alley when I was taking out the trash. He was about to rape me when Brian arrived and beat him up.” she began as she stormed into her bedroom, grabbing a pair of jeans that she’s discarded on the bed.

“What?” Stuart yelled as she quickly began to get dressed.

“And now he’s told the police and Brian’s been arrested for assault and it wasn’t his fault all he was doing was protecting me. I’ve got to talk to the police, tell them what happened.” She continued.

“Okay, but I’m driving.” Stuart said, taking the keys for the Escalade off the counter before she could grab them.

“Fine, whatever just get me there quickly. Brian could loose his job and the entire business if he gets charged for this crap.” She replied storming off towards the front door.

Angie could feel her anger flare up as the desk sergeant told her that there was nothing he could do about the matter at that moment.

“Ma’am I will gladly pass on this information to Sergeant Thompson and he will surely investigate it, but as I keep telling you there is nothing I can do for you at this moment.” He said.

“Angie, come on, this is not doing you or Brian any good. He’ll pass on the information and they’ll sort everything out. Come on, let’s just go home and wait for Brian to be released.” Stuart said calmly.

After a small moment, Angie relaxed and nodded. “Yeah, I guess you have a point. Just make sure you tell Sergeant Thompson what I’ve told you. It’s not Brian’s fault.”

“I will Ma’am.” The Sergeant replied with a smile and a nod before Stuart led Angie back outside.

“Right, come on, let’s go home and get some breakfast while we wait to hear from the cops or Brian.” Stuart said as she started the car.

“No, there’s someone I’ve got to go see first.” She said coldly as she started the engine.
♠ ♠ ♠
This would have been up sooner, but I've been away for the weekend!
But I have managed to do some planning for this now and almost have the rest of it sorted out :)

As always thanks to anyone who reads, subscribes and especially comments on this story, you're all awesome :)