Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Chapter 24

“Baby, what’s going on?” Brian asked when there was no answer from either of them. “Why are you crying?”

He took several steps closer to her. He looked so worried as he watched her, cupping her cheeks with his large hands and wiping her tears away.

“You can tell me baby. I’m not going to be mad about something you did to help me.” he said with a small smile.

“Oh I wouldn’t be so sure about that Brian.” Stuart cut in angrily.

Brian dropped his hands from her face and turned to look at Stuart. “Is it really that bad?” he asked turning back to Angie.

She nodded before speaking. “Probably as bad as it gets. I’ll probably loose you once I tell you.” she said quietly with tears running freely down her cheeks.

“Baby, don’t say that. I’m not going anywhere. Just tell me please.” He said softly.

Angie took a deep breath, the words running around in her mind. “Okay, but please remember that I only did it because I love you and didn’t want you to go to prison. I thought it was the only way.” Brian nodded and she continued. “I slept with David.”

Brian stared at her open mouthed, processing the words she’d just said. They didn’t seem to make sense.

“Baby please, it –“ she stuttered reaching for his hand, which he quickly pulled away as he turned and walked back out of the house.

“Brian, wait, please let me explain!” she yelled as she ran after him. As she reached her driveway he was already in his car, reversing out onto the street.

“Fuck!” she screamed after him as she fell to the floor, tears streaming down her face.

“Hate to tell you I told you so.” Stuart said from behind her. “Can’t believe you’ve been so fucking stupid and fucked things up with Brian.”

“Shut the fuck up Stuart! I know I’ve fucked up. Just leave me alone” she retorted loudly scrambling to her feet. She wiped the tears off her face and walked swiftly over to Brian’s house, sitting down on the doorstep.

*~*

She wasn’t sure how long she was sat there exactly but it was dark by the time Brian pulled up onto his driveway.

“What the fuck do you want?” he said as he approached her, the smell of alcohol apparent.

“I’m not leaving until I’ve explained everything.” she said sternly taking a small step out of the way so that he could open the front door.

“What’s there to explain?” he asked bitterly as he stumbled over the doorstep.

“You need to know why I did it.” She said following him in and closing the door behind her.

“Go on then. Go ahead and explain why you’re such a big slut.” He growled angrily. Now that they were in the light she could see how bloodshot his eyes were. She couldn’t be sure whether it was due to the alcohol or if he’d been crying but either way it pained her knowing that she was the cause.

“I thought it was the only way I could stop you from going to jail. I couldn’t bare the thought of you being locked up because of him. It would have killed me.” she replied truthfully.

“Do you not realise how much it’s killing me knowing that you’ve slept with that creep?” Brian replied. “I would have happily gone to jail and served my time for beating his ass. It would have been worth it for you.”

Angie’s heart shattered at the sound of his words. “Brian please, you’ve got to see it from my point of view. He told me that if he was going to drop the charges then I’d have to do something for him. I just wanted you back.”

She took a cautious step closer to him. “Brian, I love you so much. I just wanted for us to be able to be happy together.”

“I love you too. And that’s all I want as well. But I just can’t get the image of you two together out of my mind.” he replied.

“I’m sorry, if I could take it all back I would.” She replied quietly. “I don’t want to loose you.”
Brian sighed and took a step closer to her. “You won’t. I just need a little more time to come to terms with it all.” He said dipping his forehead to hers.

Angie instinctively slipped her arms around his waist, closing her eyes as she held onto him, fearful that if she let go of him he’d disappear. She lowered her head to rest on his chest and he kissed the top of her head.

They stood in silence for a long while before they were interrupted by loud knocking at the door.

Brian pulled away and walked over to open the door to find Stuart looking angry and upset on the doorstep.

“He was just fucking using me!” he screamed as he stomped into the house.

“What? Who?” both Brian and Angie yelled at the same time.

“Marcus. He was just all part of David’s little game.” He retorted.

“What? How?” Angie asked.

“David paid him to go out with me, feed me all this bullshit and then took me to that hotel in the hope that we would bump into each other so that I’d find out about you sleeping with David.” He explained.

“Hoping that Brian would find out and break up with me. Fuck that guy is more fucked up than what I first thought.” Angie said.

“Wait a second. A hotel? Today? I thought you slept with him when the police were questioning me?” Brian said calmly. Angie felt her heart skip a beat.

“I did.” She said quietly.

“So why were you in a hotel with him today? Or are you bullshitting me and there’s something going on between the two of you?” Brian yelled.

“Brian no! Believe me there’s nothing going on. I promise. But I was with him again this afternoon.” She began to explain.

“Fuck this shit!” Brian yelled angrily making his way towards the open front door.

“No! You’ve got to listen to me!” Angie yelled running in front of him and blocking the doorway.

“Move Angie. I’ve got to get out of here.” He said quietly.

“No. I need you to listen to me. If you want me to move you’re going to have to use force.” She said standing her ground.

Brian sighed in defeat and took a step back. “You know I’d never hurt you.”

“I know. Bri, I’ve done something so utterly fucking stupid and I wouldn’t blame you for breaking up with me. But you need to understand that I only did it because I was scared of losing you. I love you more than anything.” She said taking a small step closer to him.

“He came by the house this afternoon, he said he wanted to say goodbye that he was leaving town. But then he said that it’d be for good if I, I, -“

“Slept with him.” Brian concluded with a low growl. She sighed, and nodded her head.

“Babe please, you’ve got to understand that I thought it was the only way to get him out of our lives for good. I tried to say no but then he mentioned buying the house down the street. I panicked. I couldn’t stand the thought of him hanging around, taunting me, us, always being there in our lives. I didn’t know what else to do.” She explained as tears streamed down both of their faces.

“I need a drink.” Brian muttered after a short silence, turning to walk into the kitchen. Angie watched him for a brief moment before following him silently.

“I need some time to think. To clear my head.” He said quietly draining his glass down his throat.

“Okay. I understand. I’ll leave you. You know where I am whenever you’re ready.” She said softly turning quietly and walking away.

When she walked back into her house she found Stuart curled up on the sofa with a tub of ice cream and a spoon, tears trickling down his cheeks.

“Stuart I’m sorry. I know how much you liked him. This is all my fault.” She said sitting next to him.

“No, Angie, don’t say that. It’s not your fault.” He replied with a saddened smile.

“It is. I’ve fucked up again and you’ve been drawn into the mess again.” she replied.

“No Ange, it’s him. He’s the one fucking up our lives again. You weren’t to know that he was planning this.” he replied.

“I can’t believe he’s managed to wreak things for us again. All I want is for him to be out of my life.” She said.

“I know. And the first thing you’re going to do in the morning is get a restraining order on the fucking creep.” He told her.

“Yeah. Something I should have done before leaving Denver.” She replied.

“Maybe. So how are things with you and Brian?” he asked passing her the tub of ice cream.

“They could be a lot worse I guess. At least he’s been willing to listen.” she said quietly taking a spoon of ice cream. “He says he just needs a bit of time. To think and clear his head.”

“He’ll come round. He loves you.” Stuart assured her.

“I hope so. I don’t know what I’d do if I’ve fucked things up with Brian.” she replied, briefly wiping a tear off her cheek.

“Hey, he loves you, you know that.” he replied softly.

“I know. I’m just scared of loosing him.” she admitted. “I love him so much.”

Stuart leaned over and pulled her into a hug, holding her tightly for a long while.

“One day soon we will both be happy. You with Brian and me with someone equally tall dark and handsome.” He said.

“Most defiantly.” She replied with a smile.

“Are you okay now?” he asked.

“I will be.” She replied.

“Good. Now I have work in the morning so I’m going to shoot off to bed. Good night sweetie.” He said kissing her forehead.

“Good night Hun. Love you.” she replied with a smile.

“Love ya too babe.” He called back as he disappeared into his bedroom.

With a sigh Angie stood up from the sofa and headed into her bedroom and got ready for bed. She walked over to the window to close the drapes, a small light from Brian’s back yard catching her attention. She could just about make out his outline as he sat on the patio, a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. She watched him for a long moment before reaching for her phone.

“I love you xxx.” She typed and sent, watching as she saw his phone light up. She watched him read it, his eyes glancing up to her window. He waved and she waved back, a small smile appearing on her face. His gaze dropped back to his phone and moments later her phone lit up in her hand.

“I love you too. We’ll talk in the morning. Xx” she looked up to find him looking back at her. she nodded and slowly drew her drapes before climbing into bed, allowing a much needed sleep take over her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much to say :)
Just Thanks and comments? :)