Status: On hiatus again sorry guys.

Poprocks and Coke

Chapter 4

Weeks past and things didn’t get better between me and Brian. And of course he never admitted that I was the one to have given him the black eye he wore for a whole week afterwards. I tried to avoid him as much as I could, which was hard because I was really getting on well with the other guys and hanging out with them also meant hanging out with Brian. it was something I was learning to deal with.

I groaned as I switched off my alarm and pushed off the bed covers. It was Johnny’s birthday and the house needed to be decorated before he got up and ready for the party we were having for him later. I quickly made my way downstairs and got out the balloons. It took me an hour to get them all blown up and another half an hour to put them up along with the banners and streamers.

Knowing that the one thing Johnny could never sleep through is pancakes I went into the kitchen and began to make the batter from scratch, the way mom always did, and it wasn’t long after I began to cook them that I heard him trudge slowly down the stairs. I quickly turned down the heat so that the pancake wouldn’t burn and ran out into the living room.

“Happy Birthday Bro!” I cheered as Johnny walked into the room rubbing his tired eyes.

“Wow, thanks sis. Did you do all of this?” he asked me gesturing to all the decorations.

“Sure did, and I’m making pancakes too.” I told him with a smile as I hugged him. “Come on, before they burn.”

He followed me into the kitchen and sat down at the table as I went back to making the pancakes.

“There’s a pack of choc chip cookies in the cupboard and ice cream in the freezer.” I told him as I slid the pancake out onto the plate.

“Awesome. Just like mom.” He replied with a saddened smile.

“Yeah, I thought you may like it.” I said.

“Thanks sis.” He replied as Zacky walked into the kitchen with his nose in the air.

“Do I smell pancakes?” he asked peering over to the stove.

“You do indeed. I’ll do you some after I’ve fed the birthday boy.” I told him.

“Cool, what have you got to go with them?” he asked.

“The usual stuff, and also choc chip cookies and ice cream if Johnny’s willing to share.” I explained.

“Yeah you can have some.” Johnny replied with a smile as he crumbled a cookie on top of the ice cream.

“Cheers dude, happy birthday.” Zack said as he took a cookie from the pack.

After breakfast Maria insisted that Zack should do the washing up seeing as that I’d cooked so I went back up to my room to try and get some homework done. I’d only been in there an hour or so when there was a small knock at the door.

“Come in.” I called, turning to see Johnny walk in.

“Can I come and hang out for a little while?” he asked quietly.

“Of course you can. What’s wrong? I would have thought you’d have gone out spending the voucher you had off Maria and James.” I replied as he walked over and lay down on my bed.

“I’m not in the mood. I’ve just been sat in my room thinking about mom and Charlie.” He replied.

“I know, I’ve been thinking about them too. I haven’t got any work done.” I replied with a sigh.

“They’re supposed to be here to celebrate my birthday with me.” he replied sadly, my heart breaking. This was when it was really hard. Our birthdays, their birthdays, Christmas, mothers’ day. It always hit home harder that we only had each other.

“We’re going to be okay you know.” I told him with a small smile.

“Yeah I know.” he muttered.

“They’d both hate you moping around on your birthday mind.” I told him.

“Okay, so what do you suggest I do?” he asked raising his head.

“Well, I know you just said that you don’t really feel like going shopping but what about if I came with?” I asked.

“Is that coming with as in helping me find something good for later or dragging me around to look for something yourself?” he asked sitting up on my bed.

“Do you really think I don’t have my outfit for tonight already? Come on, you need to be wearing something other than a Metallica t-shirt on your birthday.” I teased.

*~*

Stood in front of my mirror, I applied a thin layer of lip gloss before checking my hair and outfit. I could already hear the music coming from down stairs and knew that there were already a few people downstairs. Happy with my appearance I made my way out of my room and downstairs.

“It’s about time you showed up!” Jimmy yelled on seeing me walk down the stairs.

“Sorry Jimmy, but it takes a lot of time and effort to get me looking this presentable you know.” I replied.

“And I’ve got to say, you look very presentable indeed, very sexy.” He replied pulling me into a one armed hug.

“Why thank you Jimbo, you look very dashing too.” I replied with a broad smile.

“As always.” He replied smugly with a wink. “Now, we need to get you a drink.”

He took hold of my hand and led me through to the kitchen. Maria and James had been kind enough to buy us a crate of beers for the party, which would only allow us two each, but that was enough considering our ages.

Jimmy found me a beer and we went back into the living room where the others were all sat around talking and listening to music.

A little while later I looked up from where I was sat next to Jimmy at the sound of a door opening, groaning as Brian walked into the living room.

“Be nice.” Johnny warned quietly.

“I will if he will.” I replied.

“Happy Birthday Dude.” He greeted Johnny with a smile. “Where’s the beer?”

“In the kitchen dude.” Zack replied. Brian went and got a beer and sat down with the rest of us, deciding to sit the other side of Jimmy.

“Hey Angie, you’re looking beautiful tonight.” He said turning to face me, shocking me into staring at him open mouthed.

“Um, thanks.” I mumbled feeling myself blush.

“What’s got into you Gates?” Johnny asked with a chuckle.

“What? Can’t I be nice without you guys thinking something’s going on?” he asked and I noticed he too was blushing slightly.

“Not with Angie. Not since she thumped you.” Matt chuckled.

“Maybe I want that to change.” He muttered taking a sip of his beer.

As the party continued I couldn’t help but keep an eye on Brian. He was acting kinda different, not his usual cocky, arrogant self.

“Hey, um can I talk to you Angie?” I jumped slightly at the sound of his voice as I took a bottle of Coke out of the refrigerator.

“What’s up?” I replied as I turned to face him. He looked nervous about something.

“Look, um, I’ve been nothing but an ass since you got here.” He began.

“No shit!” I muttered taking a sip of my drink.

“And I want to say sorry for that and I want us to start over again as friends.” He said sounding more sincere than I’d ever seen him.

“Okay, I guess it’s about time we started to get along, I know the others hate that we’re not getting on.” I replied.

“Good. I’m sorry Angie. And I promise not to ask you annoying, insensitive questions about your family.” He replied with a smile.

“Or pick on my brother?” I asked with a small smile.

“Promise.” He replied smiling back.

“And I promise not to give you another black eye.” I said. “Unless you really deserve it of course.”

“Don’t worry; I’m not planning on pissing you off again. That hurt like a bitch.” He said rubbing the spot under his eye where I’d punched him.

“Sorry.” I muttered.

“I deserved it. But I am sorry and I really do hope that we can be friends from now on.” He replied.

“I’m sure we can give it a go. Come on, let’s see what the others think.” I said with a smile, taking hold of his hand and leading him back through to where the others were all sat talking.

“What’s going on with you two?” Zack asked noticing that we were holding hands with a smile on our faces.

“Well, Brian has apologised for his behaviour and attitude towards me since we moved here and we’ve agreed to put it behind us and be friends.” I explained to the group.

“Well it’s about time you stopped being childish Gates!” Val called out from where she was sat in Matt’s lap.

“Yeah I know. I’ve been a total ass and I don’t know why. But as Angie has said, I’ve said sorry and we’re going to be friends.” Brian said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, is there actually anybody still reading this after it's been on hiatus for 8 months? If you are, thanks for keeping with me.
I finally have this story planned out, so hopefully there will be more regular updates from now on!
Comments would be lovely :)

Angie