Status: On hiatus again sorry guys.

Poprocks and Coke

Chapter 6

I tried to distance myself. It was the only thing that I could think of doing to try and stop anyone getting the wrong impression or hurt. Jimmy and Brian were two of my best friends, and I didn’t want to destroy that. Of course because we were such good friends it made it harder for me to distance myself. Thankfully with school finished for the summer and me working more shifts I’ve been able to avoid them for a little while when I’m at work. And at least there I was getting some male attention that I actually enjoyed and didn’t make me feel awkward.

Mike flirted with me more and more with every shift we worked together and I didn’t mind one little bit, unless of course it was in front of either Jimmy or Brian. I hate the look on their faces when they see Mike flirt with me.

“You can have your break once you’ve taken these to table nine.” Michele said with a smile as I took the two plates of food off the service counter.

“Okay thanks.” I said with a smile, turning to take the food to the customers.

“Here’s your food, is there anything else I can get you?” I said placing the two burgers down in front of the customers with a smile. They shook their heads as they both began to eat their meals.

“Some drinks over here when you’re ready!” an all too familiar voice called out from the other side of the store.

“Get your own, I’m on a break!” I yelled back at Johnny who was sat with the other guys, Val and Zack’s new girlfriend Gena. Somehow they always managed to turn up when I was on my break.

“I’ll bring them over.” Mike called over to me with a smile.

“Thanks.” I smiled back as I joined the others, somehow managing to end up sitting between Brian and Jimmy.

“Haven’t you guys got anything better to do than come and bother me while I’m working?” I asked.

“But you’re not working, you’re on a break.” Zack said matter of factly.

“Smart ass.” I muttered as Mike came over with their drinks. “Thanks Mike.”

“You’re welcome.” He replied with a smile and a wink. I felt myself blush as he turned and walked back over to the counter.

“So what have you guys been up to?” I asked.

“Just the usual shit really. We were thinking of heading to the park with some forties later if you’re up for it?” Brian replied.

“Sounds good to me. I’m going to be here until about five though.” I replied.

“I’ll come back and meet you if you like.” Jimmy offered.

“Um, yeah thanks.” I replied with a small smile.

“Any chance of something to eat while we’re here?” Johnny asked.

“Sure, you know where the counter is.” I replied.

“But then I’d have to pay” he whined, sticking out his lower lip. I rolled my eyes at him and stood from the table.

“Love you sis.” He called as I made my way over to the counter.

“Can I get a basket of fries please Mike, I’ll pay for them at the end of my shift.” I called over to him.

“Yeah, no problem.” He replied with another smile and a wink before I turned and sat back down.

“There’s some fries on their way.” I said as I picked up my drink and took a sip.

“Is that just for Johnny or for us all?” Zack asked.

“Mike, can you make that two baskets of fries?” I called over to him with a roll of my eyes. He gave me a thumb’s up and the guys thanked me.

“It’s okay, you guys will be buying my forty later.” I replied with a smirk.

“I guess that’s fair.” Matt muttered.

“Good, now I’ve gotta get back to work.” I said finishing my drink.

“Thanks guys, see you again soon.” I said cheerfully as the last remaining customers left.

Once the door had closed behind them I walked over and flipped the sign to closed and carried their dishes to the counter.

“Mike, can I leave you two to finish cleaning up?” Michele asked.

“Of course mom, you go.” Mike replied.

“Okay, thank you both, see you tomorrow.” she said with a smile as she left.

“Oh before I forget, I owe for two baskets of fries.” I said taking my purse from under the counter.

“No you don’t, it’s taken care of.” He replied holding up his hand to stop me from giving him the money.

“What do you mean?” I asked confused.

“They’ve been paid for, well actually, they were never put through as an order and mom forgot about them.” He explained.

“No, I can’t do that, that’s like stealing.” I protested.

“Angie, think about it, come here.” He said taking hold of my hand and dragging me through to the kitchen. “Look how many fries get let over at the end of the day. It won’t really matter if you and your friends had a few free baskets.”

“Well I guess you have a point. Thank you. But um, don’t say anything to the others, they’re paying me back with a forty later.” I replied with a smirk.

“Hmm, what’s in it for me to keep quiet?” he asked teasingly.

“Hmm, I’m sure we could come up with something.” I suggested biting my lower lip.

“Oh really now. Such as?” he asked.

“Um?” I said glancing around the kitchen looking for ideas.

“How about you do the washing up?” he asked knowing full well that I hated that job as much as he did.

“Oh no! Not that please.” I pleaded.

“Of course I could just let slip to the guy…” he said feigning innocence.

“Okay! I’ll wash up.” I said with a pout as I headed over to the large sink.
I began to wash the remainder of the dishes as mike began to clean up out front.

“So you guys are off to the park after hey?” he called.

“Yeah, there’s this spot in central park where we can go and be out of the way from everyone else.” I replied. Every time I seemed to get to the last dish, Mike would appear in the kitchen with more. I swear he had a secret stash of them somewhere.

“Finally, I thought I was never going to finish them.” I said as I rinsed the final plate.

“Actually there’s one last one…” Mike called back.

“Oh you are fucking kidding me!” I yelled as he walked back into the kitchen.

“Actually yeah I was.” He laughed.

“Oh your so fucking hilarious!” I yelled, splashing him with water.

“Hey now there’s no need for that.” he replied with a playful smile, stepping closer to me.

“Aw, did I get you wet?” I teased.

He took another step closer to me as I watched as his hand reached out to the sink, scooping up a handful of washing up bubbles and quickly wiping them in my face as I screeched.

“You fucker!” I screamed as I tried to get away from him as he grabbed more bubbles and attempted to get them in my face.

“Aw, have you got a little bit wet?” he mocked.

We were both laughing so much as we both tried to get more bubbles on each other, and then our gaze locked and we suddenly were serious. Before I knew what was happening, his lips were on mine, his hands cupping my face.

“Sorry.” He muttered in a soft breath as he pulled away.

“Don’t be.” I said quietly reaching up to place my lips on his again, gently pushing my tongue into his mouth.

We broke apart suddenly, me pushing him backwards at the sound of Jimmy’s voice calling my name. I looked up in horror to see Jimmy’s saddened face turning to walk back out of the kitchen, muttering sorry as he went.

“Jimmy, wait!” I yelled running after him. He stopped just outside the door and turned back to look at me.

“Jimmy I’m sorry, you weren’t meant to see that.” I said.

“Don’t worry about it Angie. I’ve been stupid and delusional. Of course you’d pick someone like him over someone like Me.” he said, his words crushing my heart.

“Jimmy, no. don’t say that. I love you, just probably not in the way that you want me to. You’re one of my best friends though.” I told him gently.

“Yeah, that’s me.” he said sadly.

“Best friends last longer than boyfriends.” I said with a small smile.

“Hell yeah they do.” He said with a smile pulling me into a hug.

“I just need to go grab my purse and we can head off to the park.” I said to him as I pulled out of his strong embrace. He nodded with a smile and I walked back into the store and over to the counter where Mike was stood.

“Sorry about that. Um, if everything’s done here I’m going to shoot off with Jimmy.” I said grabbing my purse.

“Yeah, um listen, I didn’t realise…I wouldn’t have…” he began glancing in Jimmy’s direction.

“Jimmy and I are just friends.” I replied quietly stepping closer to him.

“And you don’t regret us kissing?” he asked with a smirk tugging at his lips.

“No.” I replied simply leaning up to kiss his lips briefly.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I added with a smile as I turned and went back to Jimmy.

“Come on, we’ve got forties waiting for us.” I said taking hold of my hand and pulling me down the street.

“What took you two so long?” Matt called as Jimmy and I joined them at the spot.

“Well, Angie was too busy kissing Mike to notice I was there at first.” Jimmy said as he opened a bottle and passed it to me.

“What!” Brian and a few others yelled turning to stare at me.

“Yep, I walked in to find them at it in the kitchen.” He explained before having a drink from the bottle he’d just opened.

“I knew it!” Val yelled. “Get your ass over here and give me details woman.”

“There’s really not that much to tell.” I said not wanting to dwell on the subject.

“Oh sush! Come sit and talk.” She said sternly.

With a small laugh I went and sat next to her and Gena and began to tell them what had happened as Mike and I were closing up.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm getting there slowly with this one!
Comments?
Angie

CLICK AND JOIN