Secrets

VII

I guess school wasn’t all that bad. Who would’ve thought I’d make friends on the first day. In a way I suppose I also made an enemy, well, at least I think I did. Although, I hope I didn’t.

We all hung out after school for…I’d say an hour or so. Then we all went to BK, Joey’s treat. But, I insisted he let me pay since he has to take me to and from school and all. He wouldn’t allow it, said that it would make him look like a jerk so I just dropped it.

Finally, I’m home, I thought. I don’t know why but I decided to make cookies. I ran up stairs and got my Ihome and brought it down stairs and plugged my Ipod in. Since it was the first day of school and at a new school I decided I could give myself a little treat. I went to the kitchen and brought out the pre-made cookie dough and put some on a cookie tray. I set the oven for 30 minutes and flopped on the couch.

After 15 minutes of finding nothing to watch I gave up and went to my room and go my laptop. As I walked back down stairs the door bell rang.

“Who is it?” I yelled and waited for an answer.

“Take a wild guess!” It was the sweet sound of Joey’s voice.

“It’s open.” I answered back as I walked to the couch.

I turned around to see Joey standing behind me smiling. “Cookies?” He asked.

“Yesss sir.” I smiled back. He followed me into the kitchen as I went to check on them. I shut the oven of as the timer read two minutes left. Joey stretched out his hand to take one of the fresh, hot, and moist chocolate chip cookies but I slapped it away. “Hey! Let them cool donw first smart one.”

“Okay okay, gosh. Don’t gotta be so rude.”

“Anyways, why’d you come over?” I questioned.

He hesitated, “Well… Jez, do you have a brother?”

I winced at the painful memory of my brother, my best friend, being ripped away form my life. I turned to face Joey. “Umm… why are you asking?”

“Here.” He said, handing me an open envelope that said “To: Joey” on it with a letter inside.

“What’s this?” I asked I bit confused.

“I thought maybe you could…” The house phone started to ring and cut Joey off. The called ID said “private.”

“Hold on, Joey.” I put my hand up to stop him from continuing while I answered the phone. “Hello?”

“Can I talk to Jez Hillmen please?”

“Uh, this is she…” Before I could say anything else or ask who was calling, the person on the other line hung up. “That’s weird, he asked to talk to Jez Hillmen and when I told him that was me he hung up.” I turned towards Joey. “Anyways, whats this about Joey?” I looked down at the envelope.

“Yeah, I thought maybe you could tell me. After I dropped you off I went home and checked the mail, I found this. No return address, not even my address is on it. Just says ‘To: Joey’ so I opened it and read it. I think you might want to read it and possible keep it.”

“Really?”

Joey nodded and looked at the envelope. I walked over to the couch, sat down, and pulled out the note. It read:

Dear Joey,

I’ve recently become aware that my sister, Jez, is going to your school now and you’ve decided to become friends with her. I haven’t talked to her in years. I’m unable to protect her. So I’m making it your job to keep her safe. Please don’t let her get hurt by anyone and don’t let her hurt herself(you’ll know what I mean if you take a look at her wrists). I’ll always be watching over her but for now I can’t be with her. But, I do have someone watching her for me. Although, he’s watching her, I need you you protect her. I’m sure once you read this you’ll go running to her asking what this is all about… When you do, please remind her that I love her and she’s always in my heart. Also tell her not to ever lose that chain with the wolf on it that I gave her. I wouldn’t want my own baby sister forgetting me now.

- Jeremy

P.S. Don’t screw up Joey, the person I have watching Jez is watching you to make sure you protect her. Also, in the envelope is a picture, give it to my sister please.


I opened the envelope and pulled out the a picture. It was a picture of Jeremy giving me a piggy back ride when I was seven. My mom took it the day we moved into this house. I flipped it over to see that he wrote, “Brother and sister forever”.

I felt Joey put his arm over my shoulder and I just buried my head into his chest and cried as he pulled me into a warm friendly hug.

Jeremy has been watching me.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment comment comment
subscribe please :]