Sequel: Suga Babies
Status: Our baby's grown up... :(

The Red Hot Tamales

I'll Keep A Part Of You With Me

Todd

I skipped through my songs on my old, slow mp3 player until I found my favorite song, Slow Motion by Third Eye Blind. I turned it all the way up and wandered downstairs, stomach rumbling. I waved to Ardith and her friends who were sitting on the couch. They giggled and I turned into the kitchen. I was starving and had been since breakfast that morning. It was Saturday and I was avoiding Mom's happy peppy drinking.

I opened the fridge door and searched through the small amount of contents located there. I sighed and screeched when the door was shut, not by my doing. One of Ardy's friends was leaned against the counter. It was Ashley, I think. She was smiling and had her arms crossed across her chest, like she was trying to be consciously shy. I took an earbud out of my ear and said 'hi' and went to find some food.

"Hey Todd." she said. I nodded and pulled open the cabinet. I found a box Chees-Its. I grabbed them and pushed past her, heading upstairs. I stopped and returned downstairs. I leaned over and whispered in Ardith's ear.

"Control your friends, I have a girlfriend." I hissed and left, heading back upstairs for the second time.

I stopped outside my parents' room and listened to them argue a bit before sighing and opening my own door and heading inside with my most likely stale Chees-Its. I sat on my bed and thought about Copper some more. That's all that had been on my mind all day, since last night's dream about Copper and Dehlia. I hit the wall with the heel of my hand and lay back, throwing the box to the floor. Copper would kill me and Dehlia would laugh and go back to kissing me or listening to music with me.

I groaned and my door pushed open. I expected that little pre-teen terror, Ashley to be standing there. But alas, she was not. It was my mom and dad, which scared me even more than if it was Ashley.

"Hi?" I asked, sitting up and pulling my knees to my chest.

They came in and sat on the bed beside me.

"Can I help you?"

"We're... worried." Dad said.

"About?"

"We got your report card today." he said.

Oh no.

"Yeah?"

"Your grades are slipping, Todd."

I didn't expect Mom to talk. She never did in our "family talks". Our "talks" consisted of Dad yelling at me for something bad I did and Mom nodding in agreement.

"My grades are fine." I mumbled.

"No! Todd! They're NOT!" Dad snapped.

Oh, that's just great. Yell at me when I'm already having trouble with my life. That's just wonderful, Dad!

"It doesn't even MATTER! I'm not going to college! I'm going to work at the Quik-Stop until I die just like you and Grandad!"

"NO, TODD! YOU'RE NOT! YOU'RE GOING TO COLLEGE AND DOING SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIFE! I'M NOT LETTING YOU BE LIKE ME! LIKE YOUR GRANDFATHER! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO LIVE THIS LIFE ANYMORE! YOU KNOW THAT!" he screamed.

I didn't flinch.

"Face it, Dad. We don't have the money. I don't have the brains. Hell, I'm not athletic enough to be in sports and get a scholarship. I am NOTHING! I'll always be NOTHING! Because that's what I was born as! I'll never be anything more that that!" I yelled back.

He slapped me and I stared at him, locking my jaw and not showing the shock, hurt and surprise building up inside me. I got up.

"Screw you, Dad!" I barked, grabbed my backpack and left, storming down the stairs.

"Ardith, I don't know when I'll be back. I might never come home. I love you, Ardy." I called. She ran and hugged me. I hugged her back. My eyes prickled with tears and Ardy sniffled. I looked down.

"Take care of yourself, hun."

"I will. Visit?"

"Of course."

I left, heading for the one place that was safe and always welcoming. The willow tree.
♠ ♠ ♠
second chapter today
:D
so...
this one's for NikkiNilly11,
for being a pushy RHT addict...

Tyannie: oh, yeah! your turn, baby girl!

-Kayt