Seized

Fangs?

Rick had his hand over my shoulder the whole time, aware I don’t decide to run away. We headed toward the kitchen. This was a strange house for three men: it was clean, the floor was clean, and it didn’t smell like wet socks or dog, or dirty clothes. I mean, my brother Jacob is a maniac about being clean and organized because he is metro. I’d hate to know if these men were metro as well, because it means that they’d be too careful not to break a nail and obsessed about it. Although... If they were metro, they wouldn’t risk getting dirty and sweaty when they chase me. So there’s a chance an escape would be successful. Ha-ha! Genius, Shery.

“We are not going to kill or hurt you, but you need to listen to us while you’re here.” Rick handed me a cup of water. I watched Rick and Lucas all the time, being careful they don’t put something in my water. I didn’t see them do anything, but I was still careful even if they seemed nicer. I listened to Rick for instructions as I drank my suspicious glass of water. “What Brandon said is too threatening, but if you give us a hard time, running away or trying to kill us, we need to take measures and we’ll probably end up locking you up.”

I almost choked with water. It hurt my throat badly.

“Just lock you up, not hurt you.” Lucas corrected him by making it sound less threatening.

I couldn’t figure out which was worse. “I don’t care of what you do to me, as long as none of you eat me, like Brandon almost did.” Since they were already being nice, I felt the need of bringing up a little bit of humor to calm myself down and get along with them. I sure hoped nothing happened until they decide to let me go. And after that.

Rick and Lucas glanced at each other. Lucas pursued his lips and shrugged his shoulders. Rick pulled his mouth to a side. “I suppose you know that. I’m really surprised you’re not shocked.” He lost me right there but I didn’t say anything. “If he had recognized you earlier, he might not have bitten you. So, forgive us. We’ll hide our fangs while you’re here.” He smiled showing his teeth. His bright, long teeth. I stared at them, stunned. I could have said out loud, “Why do you have big, pointy teeth?” but I really didn’t want to know the truth. I knew the truth was frightening.

Boy, do I wish those teeth were rubber Halloween fangs! I furrowed my eyebrows. “Fangs?”

Lucas cleaned his throat and whispered to Rick, “I don’t think she knew anything.”

He stared at him widening his eyes, but remained calm. I imagined he was having an awkward moment. “Oh,” he said recognizing his awkward mistake and grimaced. He looked at me. “What have you noticed about us?”

I found suspicious facts about them that would lead me to this ridiculous truth. Clues are based on their physical characteristics, like their color of skin –pale snow-, the color of their eyes –burgundy, Rick’s and Lucas’s eyes were lighter than Brandon- and their strength... Brandon pushed a large drawer without making much force... and he bit my neck... And... “Are you... vampires?”

Both men remained silent and didn’t answer immediately. Their unhappy eyes didn’t want to admit. They expected the only reaction that they would get from me, since I might have guessed right. I knew I was right. I didn’t have to ask, but their reaction at that specific word answered me. Neither of them thought I was crazy; in fact, their faces didn’t hide the answer. It was obvious anyways.

“She’s smart.” The voice that entered the environment was the one I feared and was starting to hate. Brandon entered the kitchen without looking at me. He just headed toward the garbage disposal and threw in a plastic bag. The sound of crystals rang against each other as they reached the bottom. He stood next to Rick, behind the counter, who was already glaring at him.

I noticed the red eyes and the pale skin. And I remembered what Brandon did to me that night in the alley. There was a strong base in believing that they were vampires... But did it ever make sense? Really. They don’t exist.

I noticed myself believing they were vampires. But I realized it was insane to believe such absurd idea.

I shook my head and, as stubborn as I was, denied it. “Are you mad? That’s pathetic.”

“You suggested we were,” Brandon said in an insolent tone. It didn’t take long for Rick to elbow his rib.

Brandon already attempted to drink my blood. He might try it again, even if he seems so calm and like he’s not going to do it again. Fangs, red eyes, pale skin, extreme beauty, and strength...

I began stepping back slowly. Now there’s a pretty good excuse to run away. They can’t stop me. Rick noticed my attempt to escape and he nudged Brandon slowly so I wouldn’t notice. But I did anyways. When Brandon stepped forward, I sprang out of the kitchen and hoped I headed the right direction towards the exit. But Brandon was too fast, like a vampire should. Right when I exited the kitchen he caught me. He pushed me and I fell. I started crawling my way out of his grasp, but his grip on my foot held me back.

“Rick, don’t you think we should bury her so she doesn’t get away?” Brandon suggested. I sensed the smirk on his face even when I couldn’t see it.

I widened my eyes at the sound of his words. I kicked the air with the foot he held to get away from his grip, but it was useless. All this time, I didn’t scream. I don’t scream; I panted desperate, but desperate times need desperate measures, and I kicked and moved like a maniac just to run away.

“No.” Rick sighed and slapped Brandon’s hand away. He took my shoulders and pulled me up. “Shery, calm down. We promised we wouldn’t hurt you and we won’t. But we need you.” I jerked away his hands and stepped back a couple of feet away.

I shook my head nervously. In fact, my whole body was trembling: my fingers were running cold, and the nerves from my stomach condition were killing me. I didn’t feel like puking, but I felt a cold wind. I was desperate, fearing their fangs on my neck, sucking my blood and draining the life out of me. The three of them acted like they weren’t going to do anything, but Brandon’s threats seemed like Rick’s words were nothing. “I can’t believe you,” I said at a fast pace.

Neither of them stepped forward to get me, but I didn’t walk backwards either.

“Will you let us explain, please?”

I didn’t say anything but wait for them to tell.

Rick started. “Our Master, Deangelo, has ordered us and many other vampires to find you. Over the years, he’s been tracing you. He wants you for something really special. Now that we found you, we must get you to him.”

Deangelo... I heard Rick said earlier that he ordered them to treat me with respect. At least, this Deangelo guy has ordered them to have good manners. But uh... That’s stupid. How do they know it’s me? “Oh, right,” I laughed in a sadistic way, “and when he tried to kill me, you realized I was it. It was dark and you could have taken a random girl.” I pointed at Brandon. If only pointing could kill, I’d send him thousand daggers coming from my finger.

“Miss Coleman, we’re not making this up as we go. We’ve been sent on this mission and we had to search all over the world to find this girl that only Deangelo has seen in visions. He drew us a perfect painting of your face to know who to look for, your name, and many other exact pieces of information that let us know it’s you. You can’t deny us that easily.” Damn. They were all well-informed. They know it’s me.

“What about you being... vampires?” I had some problem with that word. “You won’t be able to turn me in to him if I’m exposed to you. You’re very dangerous.”

Rick sighed annoyed. “I swear I won’t bite nor devour you.”

I stared at him scrutinizing his expressions (checking if he scratched his nose, if he didn’t look at me or anything like it). He was being honest. I turned to look at the other two. Lucas raised his left hand at the side of his face and smiled. “Me too, I promise I won’t harm you in any way.” I nodded approvingly. I stared at Brandon, glaring as if I was squeezing the promise to come out his mouth. (I know, I’m really creative.)

We both had a glare battle for at least three seconds. With his glare, he told me how stupid I was acting, and with my glare I pushed him into making a promise.

It reminded me of how much my classmates disliked me. They see me hanging out alone or just sitting down writing in Lunch alone, and they find it fun to tick me off. And in order to get them away, I punch those that won’t get away when I warn them to. Of course, I punch guys. Except this one time, which I punched a girl who slapped me because I didn’t look annoyed or scared by her threats. She felt threatened by me more than what I felt threatened by her. Just because I defend myself, they hate me and they glare at me when I’m not looking –but I glare at them back and they usually run off. At least, one of those classmates doesn’t hate me. It’s that friend I was talking to you about, but I still can’t remember her name. I’m sure it starts with an L...

After glaring at each other, he finally gave up and sighed defeated. “I don’t care anyway. You’re not that appetizing.” Brandon turned away and left upstairs. I narrowed my eyes after him and glared the deadliest glare I could. Idiot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Preview of next chapter:

That was a risk I'm willing to take, for my freedom. They might send me to a dark abysm, but I'm not going to let this chance pass. [...] When he wasn't looking, I left the kitchen and dashed toward the exit. I didn't know which way was it, but there was a large door by the end of the hallway I was running through and I thought this might be it. I could smell freedom. But just as I was inches away from grabbing the doorknob, someone's grip was on my wrist and they pulled me back to face them.