Sequel: Walls
Status: finished. the story continues in the sequel.

Story of a Girl

Hating My Reflection

Once they met up with the others, Sydney noticed the air was different. they all seemed to be shocked that they were only there as friends. Sydney ignored the stares she was getting.
They all got their guns and chest plates. Kara, Rian, Alex and Sydney were on one team, Jack, Amanda, V and Zack were on the other. They all went into the dark, black light lit room.

The groups scattered, Alex and Sydney remaining together.

Sydney was walking stealthily around and she could hear someone humming the Mission Impossible theme. She rolled her green eyes and shot at Jack.

"Hey!" he shouted. Sydney took off in the opposite direction. "That's not fair!" he shouted after her.

They were annihilating the others. once the game was over, Jack looked at Sydney bewildered.

"How are you that good?" she laughed.

"Ash and I would come play all the time when we were younger."

They all nodded, and then the group of them walked out into the cool early-November air. Sydney shivered some, wishing she had worn pants. They all went their separate ways, and once Sydney and Alex were in his car, she turned up the air. He laughed, shaking his head.

"Cold?" she rolled her eyes at him.

He drove them to his house and they went to his room. they laid on his bed. He looked at her, and then got up, turning on the T.V. He was flipping through the channels and it landed on an oldies channel.

"Wait! I think that...yeah. It's Dinosaurs!" he looked up and then smirked.

"I love this show." he said, plopping down beside her.

"Me too. Ash and I would always watch it." Alex pulled the blanket over their legs and glued their eyes to the screen.

"Alex, tomorrow....would you come with me somewhere?" he raised an eyebrow. "I want to go see...Marla and Jesse. But it's hard for me to go on my own."

He raised an eyebrow again.

"Marla and Jesse?"

"My....sister-in-law and nephew." he looked shocked for a minute.

"Sure I'll go with you." he smiled and she smiled back.

"You'll have to skip school." he grinned

"That's fine" she shook her head and then began to watch the show again, unaware of the brown eyes fixated on her.

They watched the screen until extremely late, when Sydney told Alex she should head home. Alex was inwardly disappointed, but he didn't let it show. they walked out to the car and he drove her home. At her driveway, they stayed in the car, talking.

"Thanks for taking me out, Alex." he smiled.

"I'm glad you had fun." she nodded.

"I'll come by your house at around eleven-thirty." he nodded.

She shot him a smile and got out of the car. He waited until he saw the light in her room turn on to leave. Sydney stood at her window until she saw the car disappear from her sight. She stripped off her clothes and got into the shower. she relaxed away her tension in anticipation for the following day. Sydney was surprised when Marla had called, saying that Jesse wanted to see her. Most of the time, Jesse's other grandparents would deny Sydney any contact with him or Marla; saying that it caused them too much emotional stress. Sydney washed the suds from her body, and got out, wrapping a towel around her frame.

She looked at herself in the mirror, and shook her head, hating how she looked like him.
He may have had bright blue eyes, and black hair; but facially they were identical. Jesse had Ashton's black hair, but Marla's honey eyes. The five year old boy reminded Sydney so much of her brother, it made her want to break down and cry. But she didn't in front of them. But...she wasn't sure if she could still handle it on her own. Which is why she had asked Alex to come with her. He was her rock, and as much as she hated to depend on someone, she knew she should. And she knew Alex would always be there for her when she needed someone.

_______________________________________________________________

Alex laid in bed that night, recalling how vulnerable Sydney sounded when she asked him to go with her tomorrow. He guessed that it was hard for her. He didn't know she had a nephew. But Alex was sure that there were some more things about Sydney Maxwell that he didn't know. He shook his head, clearing all thoughts of Sydney from his head, closed his eyes and fell asleep.

_______________________________________________________________

Sydney woke-up the next day, annoyed that she had only fallen asleep three hours ago. she got out of the warm, comforting, safe feeling bed and walked to the bathroom. she took another shower and stepped out, plugging in her hair dryer and straightener. She walked to her closet, pulling on her undergarments. She stood there fora few minutes, then pulled on a pair of ripped up skinny jeans, and a Blink-182 shirt. she walked back to her bathroom and did her hair. she walked back out to her bedroom, and did her make-up. she slipped on some shoes and looked at her reflection in the mirror in her closet. she grabbed her cell and keys and ran down the stairs.

When she was in her car, she had the music blaring. she went to Alex's house, and he was waiting outside. He got up and got into the car. He noticed that she was shaking a bit.

"Syd. You'll be fine."