Sequel: Walls
Status: finished. the story continues in the sequel.

Story of a Girl

Girls Day Out

"Alex, go up to the attic and get the rest of the decorations, please." Alex tore his eyes away from the screen which was playing "A Christmas Story." he groaned and got up, leaving Sydney to watch it by herself. "You'll shoot your eye out!" she said quietly, a small smile on her face. Alex laughed quietly and then made his way up to the attic.

Sydney had been living with them for a few months. Even though she had her own room, she often slept in Alex's arms because she felt safer. She had confessed to him that once her parent's divorce was finalized, that she'd go back home to live with her dad. He remembered the conversation as he searched for the totes. It had taken place about two weeks after she moved in.

"I've always hated my mom. She was so controlling. Ashton didn't really like her either. But my dad loved her, so we put up with her."

"Wait...isn't she your biological mother?"

"Yeah. But she told us when we were younger that she never wanted to have kids, and she only did it for our dad. So we disengaged ourselves from her. She...she's a bitch." there was silence for a second, "My dad called me two days ago. Told me that he was filing for divorce. He finally saw her for what she was. She only liked Daniel because of his family's money. She refused to see how he really was, even when I was dating him. But my dad saw. And that's when he realized that maybe she wasn't all that great. When she slapped me, that's when he lost it. Apparently she had acted the same way when Ashton joined and got married."

"Where do you think your mom will go?" the chestnut haired girl shrugged, her bright green eyes meeting his own chocolate ones, "I don't know. Or care. She's been nothing like a mother should be to me." she then turned around to look at his mom who was cooking in the kitchen, "Unlike your mom. She's an amazing woman, and you're lucky to have a mom like that." Alex smiled and he looked at his mom, finding new appreciation of her.

"So when your parents finalize the divorce, you'll move back with your dad?" the girl nodded.

"Yeah. He needs me. And after all, he's all the family I've got, besides Marla and Jesse." Alex nodded, and then his mom said that the cookies were done.


Alex brought down the tote and looked over, Sydney still sucked into the movie. When he sat down, she looked over and smiled, squeezing his hand. Her feet had thick socks on them, but she still had on shorts. Right now, a blanket covered her legs. She was wearing a long-sleeved shirt.

"Are you ever going to get out of your p.j.'s?" he asked her with a smile. She shook her head, "Probably not. Not unless I have to go out for something." as if on cue, her cell rang. A small laugh escaped her lips.

She picked it up and Alex just watched as she talked. When she got off, she stood up, stretching. The blanket fell and revealed her slender legs. Alex shook his head, and knew that living with her had only strengthened his feelings for her.

"Amanda just invited me to go Christmas shopping with her, Kara and V." Alex nodded and then Sydney walked over to the room she had. Alex sighed quietly and then got up, helping his mom get out the decorations.

"Alex, son, why don't you just tell her that you love her?" Alex was thankful the fragile decoration he was holding was wrapped in bubble wrap, and that they were on carpet. Because the crystalline angel hit the ground. He quickly picked it up and inspected it, all the while replying, nonchalantly,

"Of course I love Syd. She's amazing." his mom shook her head, "You know what I mean by that. She's single, so are you."

"Mom...." He said, trailing off. she sighed, "Alright. I just don't want to see you-" she stopped when Sydney walked into the room. Alex looked over, and a smile tugged at his lips. Her legs were clad in skinny jeans, and she had on a parka with her snow boots. A knit hat covered her chestnut hair, hair that had grown longer since she had moved in three months ago. Her face was free of all make-up except for mascara. Her lips had balm on them, and she had a glow surrounding her.

"You look cute, hon." his mom said. Sydney smiled, the smile lighting up her eyes. Alex was glad that her eyes got their sparkle back. He had been so scared that they wouldn't.

"Thank you!" she said, a smile plastered on her face. She waved, and walked out the door.

When he turned back around, his mom was looking at him. "Don't say anything." he mumbled. He sat on the ground, untangling the house Christmas lights.

____________________________________________________________

Sydney was walking around the mall, with Amanda, Kara and V. The other three were shopping for their boyfriends. Sydney was going to buy gifts for her dad, Jesse, Marla and each of the Gaskarth's.

Amanda was laughing while telling the group one of Jack's latest antics. "He's a dork, but so adorable." she said, a small laugh escaping her lips.. Sydney smiled, and she could feel the happiness radiating off of the three, while they each talked about their boyfriends.

"What do you think you're going to get Zack, V?" Sydney asked, as they passed by a skateboarding accessory shop. The black haired girl bit her lip, shrugging.

"I don't know. I suck at buying gifts." Sydney laughed and shook her head.

"I honestly think he'll love anything you give him." the girl shrugged again.

"We've only been going out for two months. I mean...it took him a month to ask me out. Maybe...maybe he-"

Sydney cut the girl off right there, "Zack loves you. Or if not love, then he's pretty close. I can tell." the black haired girl looked at her, her blue eyes filled with hope. The group stopped at the Smoothie King, "You really think so?" Sydney laughed and nodded, "Yeah I do. I can tell. I've known Zack for a few years and he's never looked at a girl like he does you. He's never acted the way that he does around you." the girls pale cheeks reddened some and she smiled widely. "Really?"

Kara, Amanda and Sydney nodded. "Granted I don't know him as well as Amanda and Kara do, but from what I've seen the kid is head over heels in love with you." the grin on the girl's face widened. she nodded and got her blueberry and strawberry smoothie. Sydney knew that her grin said it all. That V was happy that they all saw that he loved her. Sydney also noticed some hesitation in the girl, but decided to ask her at a later time. Not in front of the other two. The four girls sat at a small round tall table, setting the shopping bags they had acquired by their stools.

"If you don't mind me asking, where did you move here from?" Sydney asked V. the girl smiled and swallowing the demi-liquid that was in her mouth, replied,

"Texas. Houston and Dallas." The three girl's jaws dropped slightly and she laughed, "I know. I don't have much of a southern accent." which Sydney noticed sounded a little southern.

"You must be freezing then!" Amanda said, her green eyes wide. the black haired girl nodded, "Yeah. But I've always wanted to be around snow. I've only seen...well actually it wasn't even snow. But the great ice storm of '98 is the closest I've ever gotten."

"Wow." Amanda said which made the girl laugh slightly, and she shrugged, "There's just different weather there. I mean, I could wear shorts halfway into November sometimes."

The conversation drifted to the boys, "Jack is pumped for the show that they're going to play in Halifax in a few weeks. He's been talking about it non-stop."

"Rian has too. He's excited. I'm glad that they're extending their reach."

"Zack's excited too. I'm happy for them. Their music is so genuine." Sydney smiled and nodded, agreeing with the other three girls. "Alex talks about it a lot too. He really wants to get their music out there for others to hear." they then drifted off to school, which is when Sydney found out that V was homeschooled. Sydney was glad that someone else didn't go to school. Made her feel like less of a bum.

The four girls shopped for a bit longer, then the other three had to go off. Kara had to meet her brother so they could buy their joint gift for their parents, Amanda had a date with Jack and V had to help her parents decorate. Sydney stopped V as she walked out to her car.

"Hey, can I have your cell? Maybe you and I could do something while the other are at school?" the black and blue haired girl smiled and nodded.

"Yeah. Sorry, I thought you already had it." Sydney smiled and keyed in the numbers that V gave her. "Just when you text, let me know it's you. I don't normally text back when I don't know who it is." Sydney nodded, and texted her right away. the girl saved her number and then walked out of the mall into the cold early December air.

Sydney smiled and then got in her car. She drove to the local Guitar Center, and walked inside. She smiled at the guy at the counter, "I'm here to set up my payment plan for a guitar."

"Name?" the brunette asked, as he eyed Sydney. she ignored his stare and stated, "Sydney Maxwell." his fingers tapped away at the keyboard and he nodded, "Ah yes, well we actually just got the guitar in. Would you like to see it?"

____________________________________________________________

Sydney was laughing, the cappuccino foam on her nose. Alex made a face at her and leant forward licking it off. The two froze, then she began to laugh again. He smiled and then sat back, their shoulders touching. she was back into her thick socks, shorts, and long-sleeved shirt. He was wearing a tee and sleep pants. the only sound besides their talking was the soft crackling of the fireplace. Their legs were covered by a blanket, but Alex knew that Sydney's feet got cold easily.

"You do know, that coffee is counterproductive to sleep?" he asked, their faces lit up by the firelight. she laughed and nodded.

"Yeah. But, it's fun to drink by the fire. I never had before. My mom never allowed us to. Hell, I've never had a fire. Besides one Christmas shortly after Ashton and Marla were married." Alex shook his head, amazed that Sydney could still have such a positive outlook, after all that she had been through.

"How was shopping?"

"It was fun, I've never really had a girls day. V and I made vague plans to do something while the rest of you kids are at school learning." he laughed, taking a sip of his cocoa, "What learning?" a laugh escaped both of their lips, Sydney shaking her head while taking another sip of her warm beverage. "Is it sad that's the truth?" she asked.

Alex laughed and made a face at her. "Probably."
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: why hello mr. longerthanexpected chapter. how are you feeling today? No drama? well that's a relief.

ha ha. anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts?

there probably won't be too much drama for a few chapters.

but Idk, they aren't typed up yet. so we'll just have to see.

{I just realized how many of my girl leads have Y's in their names. First it was Gavyn. Then Sydney. Then Aydin. and maybe next it'll be Corey. (maybe. I'm still debating on whom I want the lead guy to be. It's a toss-up between two... and I'll have to finish one of these first. lol. can't have TOO many stories going at once!) Hmm...none of those were planned out. I just write (as in pen and paper write) down the descriptions of the girls and then the names just flow out....}

and one more thing. the reason I don't put a disclaimer in any of my summaries is because if I owned ATL, do you HONESTLY think I'd be writing about them? (I don't own BMTH, PTV, The Maine or FTSK either.)

I do, however, (just so everybody knows....) own all female leads, (Gavyn, Aydin, Chelle, Sydney, Evangeline {let's hope I do, unless somehow someone bought me on the black-market, eBay or some other crazy shit.... O.O}, Elaine, Brooke, Annelies, and Maverick. {shit there were more than I realized....}) and then some secondary characters, Taylor (because he's my biffle. :]), Steven (another close friend, though not nearly as close as Taylor), Manny (check my MySpace beyotch. XD), The Masenfer Family, The Wallace Family, The Maxwell Family, Embry Sykes and Bristol (yet to have a last name....).

this got completely off topic....wow. it's late and my mind wanders easily.

*ahem* if you've read this far down you deserve a cookie. I'll give you a virtual one if you comment. ha ha.

obtain cookie here.