Sequel: Walls
Status: finished. the story continues in the sequel.

Story of a Girl

Feeling Like Christmas.

Alex smiled at his group of friends that were all in his living room. He held a cup of eggnog in his hands and he could smell the Jack in it. The three couples were situated in different places in the room. V was sitting in between Zack's legs, and his arms were around her, his left hand on her right hip. She laughed at something that he had said, and then he nuzzled his head in her neck. The black and blue haired girl took a sip of a dark liquid in her cup. Alex figured it was a Jack and Coke. The girl did NOT like eggnog.

Jack and Amanda were closer to the tree, his head in her lap. Her fingers were playing with his hair and a smile was on her face. She had obliged to be the sober one, as to try to control things if, or more so when, they got out of hand. His best friends’ eyes were shut, and he was talking about something, a smile on his face. She rolled her green eyes and laughed, shaking her head. His hand reached up and brushed her cheek, then he lent up and pressed a kiss to her lips.

Kara and Rian were sitting on the couch, their eyes glued to the screen. They had a blanket around them and there were two cups of cocoa were on the coffee table in front of them. A Christmas Story was playing on the screen. Sydney wasn't off of work yet, and Alex didn't feel like joining the couples.

Before you get any thoughts, no. Sydney and Alex aren't together. Nothing happened after the ice skating. Much to Alex's displeasure. He knew that as the days passed he was falling more and more for the green eyed, chestnut haired, girl. He stood in the kitchen, the cup of eggnog becoming shallower and shallower as the time ticked by. Finally he heard the door open, and in came Sydney. She had a smile on her face, and her cheeks were red from the cold.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. They got short staffed and I volunteered to work over." She said a smile on her face. She helped herself to a cup of orange juice and gave Alex a hug. She walked into the room where the other three couples were and sat down by the fireplace. Alex grabbed a water bottle and walked into the room. He sat down on the overstuffed chair, and turned his attention to the T.V. Sydney got up and walked to her room, "I'll be right back. I'm just going to change." Alex watched as the girl walked to her room. He then sighed.

Sydney would be going back to living with her dad in late January.

Alex wasn't really looking forward to it, and he knew his mom was going to miss Sydney. When Sydney came back, the eight decided that they would play Twister. Alex found the game and he laid it out. "I don't think we all can fit on here...." Amanda said, observing the eight people, and the small mat. Alex scrunched his eyebrows together. "Ne. Do you have a Twister mat?" Sydney thought then nodded, going back into her room and getting the game.

The black haired girl put the two mats together, and then it was big enough for all of them to play. Soon, everyone but Zack and V were out. "V, babe, how are you able to keep yourself up that long? I mean no offense, but you have basically no muscle" he asked. She laughed, "I'm used to playing with my older brother and his friends. All of which are Marines."

The silence was awkward, and minus Kara still calling out the moves. Finally V's legs gave out, and she fell, bringing down her boy with her. "Oof." came from both of their lips. the two then burst into laughter and Zack kissed her softly. They then hopped up, and Zack walked to the kitchen, getting them each a drink. Sydney was just sitting down, a faraway look in her eyes. the black haired girl sat down beside the chestnut haired girl. "I know that you miss your brother. I'm sorry that he died." Sydney shook her head.

"It's okay." V sighed, "For what it's worth he was a nice guy." Sydney looked sharply at her. "Excuse me?" V sighed.

"Our brothers were in the same platoon. And later on were roommates in the barracks in Twenty-nine Palms." Sydney looked at her, her bright green eyes wide.

"How do you know it was my brother?" V sighed, and then looked over, "Ashton Charles Maxwell. Even if I didn't know his full name, you two look so much alike facially." Sydney's eyes widened. "What...what's your brothers name?" V smiled slightly.

"Damiean Alan Hall." Sydney's eyes widened, "Wait....you're Damiean's sister? The...the aspiring photographer?" the girl blushed, "Yeah. I used to be...so ambitious. But....I haven't really been inspired to take photos in a while." the girl replied hesitantly. Sydney smiled, and V grinned slightly back.

"Thanks. It honestly means a lot." she nodded and then the tension was broken by the others piling on top of the two girls.

"Zackkkkk." V whined and then giggled. he picked her up and tossed her over his shoulder, his hand resting on her butt to keep her there. Sydney laughed as the skinny, but seemingly strong, boy tossed his girlfriend onto the couch.

Alex sat beside Sydney, handing her a cup of egg nog. she took a sip and smiled, reaching over and ruffling his hair. "How was your day?" Alex laughed and shrugged. "It was okay. all of us just hung out." she stuck her tongue out at him, "Sorry that I have a job. Jeeze." Alex laughed again and pressed a sloppy kiss to her cheek. "Ah it's cool." the group sat around and watched A Christmas Story twice, and it was about to start again. "No no no no! No more of this bullshit." Alex said. V giggled, and Amanda gasped.

"I love this movie!" she said. the group laughed and Amanda rolled her eyes. "Fiiine. Anyway, I should get going. I told my mom I'd be back around eleven to do our Christmas eve thing." Jack stood up with the girl and they said their goodbyes. "Merry Christmas." she said as she walked out the door. Alex debated what they were going to do next.

"Drinking game?" Alex suggested. Which was answered by some cheers. a few hours later, a buzzed Evangeline and a drunken Zack said that they had to go. "I have visit with my grandparents tomorrow." the girl said, a look of impending doom on her face. Alex laughed, "What's so bad about that?" she rolled her eyes.

"Let's just say, when I wore a shirt that had skeletons and teased my hair when it was all black; my dad's mom said I looked like a witch." all of their jaws dropped, and the girl shrugged, "Yeah. And my mom's mom is just too huggy. and I can't talk to either one, because we have nothing to talk about. Oh and they don't like the fact I don't eat pork. So it makes Christmas day dinner awkward because that's the main course."

"Oh." he said. she laughed and nodded, "Yeah. Anyway, I gotta get Zack home first. Bye." she said walking out the door, Zack's hand attached to her own. He gave the occupants of the house a drunken smile and wave as the door shut. Alex blew some air out of his cheeks, and then looked at the clock. "Shit. I'd better start cleaning up. my parents are supposed to come home at like two." the clock on the wall read, 1:20.

Kara, Sydney and Rian helped, then left. Sydney sat on the couch, and turned on the classic stop-motion version of Rudolph. "There's always, tomorrow, for dreams to come true. Believe in your dreams, Come what may. There’s always tomorrow, with so much to do, and so little time in a day." Alex smiled from his spot on the couch. she sighed, and got up walking to her room, coming out in a dark blue thermal, and a pair of light blue shorts that had white snowflakes on them. Alex shook his head, smirking. "What?" he only laughed slightly and shook his head again. "Shut up you." she said, throwing a pillow at him.

Sydney walked to the kitchen, and sipped some orange juice. "I thought you said your parents were coming home at two?" Alex laughed and shook his head, "Nope. They're going to be home around three or four." she laughed softly and shook her head. "Boy, oh, boy." he laughed again and then she started walking out of the kitchen, towards where Alex was sitting. she stopped after a few steps. "I think I'm going to go to bed. Santa and all." Alex laughed and shook his head. "Whatever you say." Sydney stayed where she was in the kitchen, a distant look on her face. "Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank-you for all you've done for me. I'll always appreciate that, even though you haven't known me as long as the rest of your friends, you did the same for me as you would for them."

Alex looked up and smiled, "Of course I would. Syd, you've shown me a side of you I know you haven't shown anyone before. And that...that's just amazing. if everyone knew the Sydney I knew...well people would be shocked." Sydney laughed and shook her head, "Whatever you say, Alex." Alex watched as she sipped more of her orange juice, around the kitchen, and then looked away. Suddenly Alex walked over to where Sydney was standing, between the kitchen and living room. He looked up and half smiled at the carefully taped plant."Syd?" the girl looked up, and met his brown eyes. "Merry Christmas." he said softly, and then his lips met hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's short.

I was waiting to put this out. and I've been sick for about a week.

thoughts?

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays. :)