Sequel: Walls
Status: finished. the story continues in the sequel.

Story of a Girl

On The Road

So a few weeks later, the eight teenagers piled into an eighteen passenger van, and were off. They had map quested the directions, and decided on shifts, like the boys did on tour. The first shift belonged to Rian and Kara. Then it was Zack and Evangeline. Then Jack and Amanda, and lastly it was Alex and Sydney.

“A thirty-seven and a half hour drive.” Evangeline said dryly, getting comfortable in the furthest back seat with Zack. “Whoo fucking hoo.”

“Stop complaining.” Alex said, sitting in the seat in front of them, “It’s an adventure.” She narrowed her eyes at him.

“Just look at it this way, V. You only have to drive a little over four and a half hours.” Amanda reasoned. The girl sighed and nodded.

“Okay. That sounds fair.” She paused, “Are we going to drive straight there?” they van grew quiet. They weren’t on the road yet, they were waiting for Rian and Kara. When no one answered, she sighed, “Okay, well then it’s decided. We will, except for the two days we’re spending in Chicago. More time to spend in Vegas.” They all agreed and Alex pulled out his cell phone.

“Rian, brah, where the hell are you?!” there was a pause, “Well hurry up. We’ll stop for food on the way man, we’re all here waiting for you.” another pause, “Yeah, ALL of us except you and Kara.” A last pause, “Okay man. See you in a few.”

He fell back into the seat, his head falling into Sydney’s lap. She laughed and messed with his hair some. He opened one brown eye and smiled up at her. “So, Syds, you excited?” she laughed and nodded.

“I guess. It’s an adventure, that’s for sure.” Alex sat up and gave Evangeline a pointed look. She rolled her eyes and turned her music up, then rested against Zack.

A few minutes later, Rian came up. He, Alex and Jack quickly put his and Kara’s bags in the back of the van, and then he climbed into the driver’s seat, Kara next to him in the passenger’s seat. “You have the driving instructions, right?” Amanda asked. Rian held up the sheets of paper and then she settled in with Jack.

“Ready?” he asked, revving the engine.

“Ready.” Everyone said back.

“Pit stop!” Rian called, once his shift was over. The few that were sleeping were awakened, and all eight filed out of the van, stretching their limbs.

“Where are we?” a sleepy Evangeline asked.

“Pennsylvania, I think” Sydney answered, walking with her to the bathroom. Zack was already inside getting some snacks along with the rest of the group, sans Rian. He was left standing at the pump.

Fifteen minutes later they were walking back out to the van. Kara got into the driver’s seat, and they started off again.

“V, will you read this guide and tell me what you think we should do in Chicago for the two days we’ll be there?” Amanda asked, giving Sydney the book to hand to the black and blue haired girl.

“No.” she said flatly. Amanda raised an eyebrow, “Okay...why?”

“Reading makes me carsick.” She said, shrugging, “And it is not pretty. Or enjoyable for anyone involved. Trust me.”

They all laughed some, Zack shaking his head, unable to stop the smirk from coming to his lips. She made a face at him, which caused him to try and stifle a laugh, “Don’t be mean to me, mister.” She said, poking him.

“I didn’t say anything!” he said, still smirking. She narrowed her eyes and stuck out her tongue. He laughed and shook his head, then leant in and kissed her briefly.

Sydney laughed at the two. They always seemed to be flirty with each other still, and she guessed comparatively; they did have the freshest relationship. As opposed to the others that had been together for a few years now; Zack and Evangeline had only known each other for six months, and been together for five of them. Alex caught her looking at them, and he narrowed his eyes. He sat up suddenly and tackled her to the seat. Sydney squealed, and Kara looked at them like they were crazy.

“What the hell...?” Rian paused looking back, “Look, Alex...if you’re that horny we’ll get you a stripper in Vegas.”

Alex laughed and shook his head. Jack and Amanda remained asleep, and Zack and V were watching a movie on her portable DVD player. They didn’t even bat an eye. “I’m not. And I’m not doing anything to Sydney. I just wanted some of her attention.” He admitted.

Sydney gave him a smirk, “Awwwes, is wittle Alex all lonely?”

He smirked, “Yes! You’d rather pay attention to Zack and V than to me! I’m your best friend!” she laughed and shook her head.

“I’m sorry Alex. I’ll pay more attention to you.” he nodded, satisfied and then got off of her. She sat up, and straightened her tank top, and then rested her head against his shoulder. “But I’m taking a nap first.” He nodded, and put in some ear buds, and she closed her green eyes.

The next thing that Sydney knew was Zack in the driver’s seat, and Alex was lying with her on the seat. She sat up, and Alex murmured in his sleep. Jack and Amanda remained asleep, and Rian and Kara were watching a movie. The music was playing softly in the van, and Sydney spied the girls hand on his forearm. She pulled it away and readjusted herself in the seat, turning away and curling up some. The seat had been reclined some. Sydney yawned and sneezed. Zack looked at her through the rearview mirror.

“Hey.” She said softly, the atmosphere of the van really quiet.

“Hey.”

“How long was I out?” he switched lanes.

“Well I’m about three and a half hours into my shift. So about eight hours?”

She felt her eyes widen. “Shit.” the boy chuckled.

“It’s easy to fall asleep on long car rides.” He paused, and looked at his girlfriend, “Or short ones if you’re Evie here.”

“Shaddup you.” She mumbled. Sydney laughed, “You too Sydders.” Sydney laughed and shrugged. She dug through her bag of snacks and pulled out a bag of sour gummy worms.

An hour and a half later, they rolled into Chicago. Sydney woke-up the sleeping people and the group chose a place to eat. They filed out, and went into the restaurant. Sitting down, and ordering drinks the group yawned. It was called ‘Chicago’s Pizza & Pasta’

They sat down and looked at the menus. “So what does everybody want?” Amanda asked

“Mmmm...just cheese for me.” They looked at her, while Zack and Sydney didn’t bat an eye.

“So wait...you don’t eat any other type of pizza besides cheese?” Jack asked, his brown eyes widening.

“I do.” Zack coughed, and she rolled her eyes, “I eat spinach sometimes. I’m not big on pepperoni or anything like that. And so I eat cheese. Is it that big of a deal?”

“No...It’s not.” Sydney said giving the group a look. Jack shut his mouth, while Amanda shook her head at her boyfriend. They all agreed to get a small cheese, a medium Chicago Supreme, and a Pesto Lovers Pizza. The Pesto Lovers Pizza was Shrimp, mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, sweet onions, parsley and sliced tomatoes in pesto sauce.

“Zack-” he smiled at her, “Don’t worry I won’t eat the Pesto pizza.” They gave them looks again, minus Sydney. She already knew all of this about Evangeline. They had really gotten to know each other in the past few weeks. Evangeline had gotten a job at the make-up section where Sydney worked, so they worked side-by-side daily.

“She’s allergic to shrimp.” She said, taking a sip of her soda.

“Oh.” Jack said, looking down.

They ordered the pizza’ s and talked amongst themselves. “I’ll finish the drive to the hotel. You can take up in a few days.” Zack said to his girlfriend, when they were walking out.

“No. You already drove over-”

“Who has the van keys?” he asked, jingling them over her head. She made a face and huffed, getting into the passenger’s seat.

Alex tackled Sydney into the seat and she made a face at him. “I’m starting to think that you like tackling me.” She said, raising an eyebrow. He laughed and shrugged, “We cuddle. And we talk and drink together. Tackling can be a part of it too.” She laughed and shook her head.

“Whatever you say, Alexander.” He laughed and she suddenly rolled over so he was on bottom. He raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“Well now-”

“Don’t you finish that sentence Gaskarth, or it’ll be your last.” He laughed and then she climbed off of him.

Zack pulled into the hotel parking lot, and they unloaded. Walking up to the desk the guy frowned. “Sorry, if you’re-”

“We have a reservation.” Sydney said, walking up. she flashed her ID which he checked it.

“Oh. Well okay. Here are you two room keys. Just so you know, they’re adjoined.” They smiled and walked to the elevator.

Once inside, the girls chose one room, and the guys had the other. But as soon as their bags were in the rooms, they opened the separating doors and it was like one huge room, instead of two medium sized ones.

After a few hours of drinking some and watching movies, they all laid in their beds, all the boys and girls in separate rooms they went to sleep.

Sydney was laying in the quiet, when she felt the body of V leave the bed they were sharing. She heard the soft footsteps walk to the balcony door, and then it opened and shut quietly. She waited a few minutes before following the girl out.

“Hey.” She said softly. The black and blue haired girl looked up, “Oh, hey. Did I wake you?”

“Nah. I wasn’t asleep yet. What’s up?”

“Insomnia.” She said shrugging, “No big deal.”

“How long have you been suffering with it?”

She bit her lip, “About five years? Give or take.” Sydney nodded and then they watched the night sky.

“Anything particular on your mind?” she bit her lip again, and then faced Sydney.

“Do you ever wonder what would’ve happened if you hadn’t met Daniel?” it took Sydney aback, she wasn’t expecting that.

“Sometimes. I’m sure that I wouldn’t’ve done weed, or partied as much. But then I think that if it wasn’t for Daniel, I wouldn’t have one of the best friends I’ve ever had.”

“Alex?” she clarified.

“Yeah. Alex.” V looked out at the night sky again, and Sydney was more confused as ever. “Any particular reason you were wondering?”

She bit her lip again, and Sydney waited for her to reply. Because she knew the girl well enough that she knew she eventually would. “It’s just that...you’ve been in at least one relationship that wasn’t good. And it got me thinking, that maybe Zack and I should slow down. You know, because of Joshua and Brad. It’s just...”

“You’re scared.” Sydney finished. V nodded and Sydney sighed, “Look, like I’ve told you, Zack thinks the world of you. He’s even told all the guys that. And I know it’s scary, but the way you two look at each other, it’s clear that it’s love. Just trust yourself, and you’ll do fine.”

The girl laughed slightly and nodded, taking a sip of her ‘sleepy time’ tea, and the two sat in silence for a while longer.

“Thanks Sydders.”

Sydney smiled, refusing to admit she was just as afraid to love as V. and that was why she would ignore everything that she was feeling for her ‘best friend’. Because she was good at giving her advice, but had a hard time following it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Today is just an updating day. Cheers.

comments and/or subscription?