Sequel: Walls
Status: finished. the story continues in the sequel.

Story of a Girl

Afternoon Band Practices

Sydney was sitting on her front porch. She couldn't stand the screaming that was going on inside. And if she wanted to leave, then she'd have to go inside to get her car keys. she cursed her luck. She sighed getting up and walking away, only having her cell phone in case one of them left early and she needed to come back to help clean up whatever mess happened with the latest fight.

She was walking around, her yellow sunglasses perched on her face perfectly. Her chestnut hair was pulled into a low side ponytail. Her legs were clad in a pair of purple cut off shorts, her feet in her tattered black low-tops, and a green v-neck covered her torso. she looked at her cell phone, and sighed, wishing that it was later. She heard a car following her and she slowed her pace to see if the car slowed too. When it did, she turned around and the car pulled up. She waited for the driver to roll down the window and when they did, she was relieved that it was a familiar face.

"Hey." he called. he gestured to the side of his car.

She shook her head smirking. She walked over to the passenger side and climbed in. She looked to her left, cocking her head to the side.

"Shouldn't you be in school, Mr. Gaskarth?" he smiled and shook his head.

"Early day." she shook her head.

"Early for you? Or for the whole school?" he laughed and shrugged.

"You caught me." she rolled her eyes behind the yellow frames.

"You sure are colorful today, Syd." she nodded.

"Yeah. Felt like a colorful day." he nodded and they continued to drive.

"Where exactly are we going?" he smirked.

"Wow. That's responsible. Getting into a car and not even knowing where you're going." Sydney rolled her eyes.

"Seriously."

"Our practice space." she raised an eyebrow.

"Practice? As in a band?" he nodded and she smirked.

"So you're in a band? Let me guess? Lead singer?" he laughed and nodded. she rolled her eyes.

"Figures. You don't seem like the type to let someone else be in the spotlight." he scoffed and turned up the music. Sydney recognized it immediately as Blink-182.

He drove them to a Panera Bread. They went in and got their sandwiches to go. Then Alex took them to the docks where they had gone after the last party. They ate while just talking some. When they finished they got back into his car and went to the practice pad.

When they got there, Sydney got out and followed Alex inside. Once there she recognized Jack, and Amanda was sitting next to him. The guy behind the drums seemed vaguely familiar, and the girl on his lap did too. The only one who looked nothing like anyone she knew was the guy with the bass strapped to him. Sydney walked over to the couch and sat down. Amanda shot her a smile and pried herself from Jack and took a seat next to her.

"Hey." Sydney smiled at the dirty blonde haired girl.

"Hey."

Sydney could feel four sets of eyes on her. she took off her sunglasses and placed them on top of her head. Her bright green eyes scanned the room and she tried to think back to where the two at the drums were familiar from. Her eyes widened at her realization. She nudged Amanda.

"Hey, those two are Rian and Kara, aren't they?"

Amanda nodded. Sydney nodded to herself and then she looked over. Now that she thought about it, she had seen the other guy at a few parties. His eyes were focused on her and then his eyes widened with recognition.

"Sydney Maxwell?" he asked. She gave him a funny look.

"Maybe?" he smiled and she remembered him.

"Zack?" he smirked and she laughed.

"Wow. I haven't seen you in a while." he said. she sighed.

"Yeah. I haven't really been invited over to any parties over there. I've been staying close to my old stomping grounds." he laughed.

"Well, I think that Brock is still annoyed that you wouldn't talk to him."

"Ugh. He threw up on me." they both laughed and then they noticed the funny looks that they were getting.

"So....you've met?" Jack said slowly. Amanda snorted.

"Sometimes I wonder..." she said softly under her breath. Sydney laughed and Amanda smiled at her.

"Yeah. We've partied with each other a few times." Sydney replied casually. Alex couldn't help but smirk.

There were so many different things about Sydney that nobody outside of the parties would guess.

"Anyway, time to practice." Alex said finally.

Kara got up and walked out, Rian telling the group she had something to do with her mom. Amanda and Sydney watched the boys practice. After about thirty minutes, Sydney got the urge to move. She was also craving some coffee. She nudged Amanda.

"You wanna come with me to get a drink?" she nodded and got up giving Jack a kiss.

"We'll be back babe." Alex kept his eyes on the chestnut haired girl until both were gone.

Once outside the two girls walked just down the street from the closest coffee shop. While waiting for their coffees, Amanda stood beside Sydney. Sydney knew Amanda was about to start asking questions. That's always how people were with her. They just stood closer and the air always changed.

Except when she was with Alex.

"So....you and Alex?" Sydney laughed.

"We're not doing anything. We talk." Amanda raised an eyebrow.

"Talk?"

"Talk."

"See...Alex doesn't 'talk' with girls." Sydney rolled her eyes.

"Well that's all we do. We talk." Amanda gave her a wide eyed look.

"So...you guys talk?" Sydney had to hold in a laugh. Honestly, she'd be shocked if she hadn't reacted that way. She was wondering if the guys were reacting the same way, only instead of being shocked that Alex was talking it was her.

Scratch that.

Most people would be surprised that the two of them would only talk to the opposite sex.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?

this story is one of my favorites. : )