Chain

One Mistake After Another

"You should have forwarded the email."

Charlie's mouth dropped open with an audible pop. How in the... she thought. Brier wasn't clever enough when it came to the computer to have figured out how to restrict her email from showing up. Nor did she know anyone who could help her figure it out. And Bartholomew... He wouldn't risk it. At least, she didn't think he would.

She went to walk away when her inbox received another message from "Anonymous Sender." Charlie's heart beat picked up it's pace despite herself. "Oh, be quiet you," she said to her heart, trying to break the silence in her room. The comfort of it had vanished. Now it felt like it pressed around her, reminding her how alone she was. Her parents were on a second honeymoon. They wouldn't be back for another week. Suddenly, she wasn't so happy that her parents trusted her enough to let her stay home alone for so long.

"Charlene Matherson!" scolded herself, throwing her arms in the air. "You're being ridiculous! Watch, it's going to turn out to be one of your friends playing a joke. If you let them get to you, you'll look like an even bigger idiot!" Still, her heart would not quiet.

Palms sweating, Charlie opened the message.

"Sorry Charlie,

This isn't that great oaf Bartholomew. Quit insulting me by thinking such things. No, I am much greater then silly old Bart. I am a spirit, sweet Charlie, assigned the task of taking those who do not foreword this message along. It is dirty work, Charlie. A job I don't particularly enjoy. But you see, you are the last one, then my quota is filled. Of course, someone else must take my job. Someone else must collect the souls. That will be you, I suppose. That's how I got this horrid job. You see, Charlie, I didn't pass the message along. And I payed for that decision. Just as you will pay. I'll be seeing you soon.
"

Charlie felt a burble of nervous laughter in her throat. She let it escape. Then, she went into her deleted message folder, silently thanking God that it hadn't emptied itself yet. She found the stupid email and sent it to ten random people from her address book, making sure to skip Brier and Bartholomew. That would help her test how truthful this supposed spirit was while at the same time keeping Brier safe. At the moment, she didn't care much for that stupid Bartholomew.

Again she received a message. She wanted to cry at this point. Instead, she opened it.

"Don't be a fool. I gave you a time limit. You ignored it. Time ran out. You've done nothing to help yourself, except maybe in finding yourself future spirits once you've replaced me. Did you honestly think it would help? No, it wont. I suggest you prepare yourself for when I come for you."

"Th-this has to be some sort of joke!" Charlie shouted. "Some cruel stupid joke some hacker is playing on me."

She laughed. "Yeah, that's it. Some hacker is watching my email, getting a kick out of scaring me. I am a fool, not because I didn't send the message, but because I did."

Still, Charlie couldn't keep the fear from snaking it's way into her heart. She could feel it's icy grip all up and down her spine. She ignored it with a fierce determination, but she couldn't keep it from making itself known on the edges of her consciousness.

Charlie glanced at her clock and saw it was almost time for her to make her way to the theater. With a sigh Charlie stood and changed into more comfortable clothes. She slipped on her sneakers and headed out of the house, locking the door behind her.

Brier's tall frame instantly stood out to Charlie as she walked up to the movie theater and she let out a sigh of relief. With Brier next to her she would feel less alone, even if the feeling would only last as long as a movie. She walked up to Brier and gently tugged one of her chestnut curls. "Open your eyes, Dork."

Brier opened her deep mahogany eyes with a smile. "Hey, Charlie. What movie are we seeing?"

Charlie shrugged. "Whatever's soonest. I need the distraction."

Worry creased Briers forehead. "What has you irritated. Nothing gets to you."

Charlie laughed. "I'm not a god, Brier." And then she explained everything as they bought their tickets. "I don't know why, or how, or any of that. But it's freaking me out, damn it."

Brier nodded. "Trust me. I'd be just as freaked. What are you going to do? "

Charlie sighed. "I don't know, Bree. I'll just ignore it, I guess. What can I do?"

Brier nodded to acknowledge that she understood. The two girls walked in a comfortable silence. They stayed that way through the whole movie and on the way to Brier's car. Then Brier broke the silence. "You want to say at my place tonight? My mom won't mind."

Charlie shook her head. "Nah. Thanks, though. But I really should go home in case my parents call or something. I'll be fine."

Brier nodded climbing into her car. Charlie gestured for her to drive off and that she didn't want a ride. She watched as Brier drove away then turned to walk towards her house. Charlie was old enough to drive, but to lazy to take the course.

As she walked along the dark street she noticed something. It was silent. Not normal middle of the night type silent, but completely silent. No crickets chirped, even though it was cricket season. The cars that constantly drove down the highway couldn't be heard. The owl that lived in this part of the neighborhood wasn't giving a hoot. Nothing. She couldn't even hear her own breathing, though she could feel it. And it was still. There wasn't a single movement, save for her own.

Wide eyed, Charlie glanced about her. This is so surreal, she thought. It's unnatural. Charlie quickened her pace, desperate to get home where she could at least lock her doors. She had long since been regretting her decision not to go home with Brier. Stupid, stubborn, prideful brat! she scolded herself silently. You were scared out of your wits before, you thought. Now how are you feeling. You should have gone with Brier, you idiot. You should have gone with Brier!

Then the streetlights went out. Every single light on the road. It was pitch black for a moment. Not even the stars were shining. Not even the moon. Charlie bit her lip to hold in a scream and tasted blood. Tears were streaming down her face, not from pain, but from anger. When she thought she couldn't take the blackness anymore a single light turned back on. Underneath it stood a young girl, her face shrouded in shadows.

"Hello, Charlie."
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think? Am I doing at least a halfway decent job at creating some sort of eerie feel to it?

I welcome criticism. I just wanna know, you see.