Call it what you like...

meeting the man

Ava stepped off the plane, into the hot Californian sunshine and followed the other passengers through the terminal gates and into the airport, where she saw many people anxiously waiting to see their friends and relatives again. Her parents had sent her to meet her father, and she knew exactly who to look out for. Ava looked around at the crowd of people, reading the various signs for her name, just in case her spineless father had sent someone to pick her up instead of coming himself, but no such luck. In her mind, an airport full of loving families and cheerful reunions was not the perfect place to meet the man that had abandoned you all those years ago, the man that would possibly expect you to call ‘dad’ in the very near future.

She had been standing there, on her own, for over ten minutes, in a very empty terminal, before she looked over at the exit to see a small, scrawny man run through.

*Ava’s pov*
He ran towards me, and I could tell it was him. He stood there wearing black drainpipes, a black and blue striped t-shirt, big black sunglasses, and a black trilby covered his curly auburn hair. If it had been anyone else, she would have thought that he was quite dashing, and that his style of clothing suited his features and bone structure, but since it was him, I could already feel anger building up inside me.
“Ava?” he asked hopefully, I nodded and his face beamed. God how I would love to wipe that smile off his face.
“I have been waiting for years to see you again.” He smiled again and hugged me tightly, my arms hung loosely by my sides.
“Well, you could’ve at least been on time. I’ve been standing here on my own, looking like an idiot, for ages.” I said coldly. The smile dropped from his face as he removed his sunglasses, revealing sadness in his eyes.
“I’m sorry about that. Adie doesn’t know about you, so I had to explain the whole situation to her before I could come get you, and she kept asking me questions that had to be answered there and then. Just to let you know, the atmosphere in the house may be a little frosty for a while.” He said sadly, then lifted my suitcase and walked towards the exit. After a few steps he stopped and turned to me,
“You coming?” he asked, with half a smirk. I nodded slowly and followed him out.

The car journey was quite horrible. I sat in silence, as he kept trying to start meaningless, pointless conversations. He had decided that it would be best, for both of us, if we had a chance to talk, before we headed back to his house. I suppose it would give him a chance to explain everything, so he pulled into a small diner, just off the freeway, ‘Rudy’s’ something or other. He walked in, holding the door for me, and ushered me on through to a back room, mumbling “two” to the waitress on the way past. We sat down at a small table and he flicked on the lights. I looked over at him, and smiled uneasily. A few minutes later the waitress walked into the room with two mugs of coffee.
“This one’s a bit young for you, don’t you think doll.” She laughed, he smirked, shook his head, and laughed,
“Enough of that Judy” he laughed and took one of the cups off her. She smiled at me and left.

“So, what is it that you want to talk about then?” I asked, he looked over at me,
“Well, I know that Jack and Sally have filled you in on a few bits of information, but I have reason to believe that what they’ve told you is complete bull, so I just want you to know the truth, and you can ask me anything that you want to know.” He smiled sadly.