Sequel: She's Dancing Alone

Dark Eyed Dreamers

The Lady Luck

“Whoa hold up. What is this?” Kara quizzed gripping onto my hand.

“Jack got her an engagement ring,” Louise sang kneeling on the bed beside me. I pushed her torso backwards sending her toppling to the floor with a scream.

“I’m not getting married,” I clarified as Carolyn took a place next to Kara and examined my finger. “It’s a promise ring. My birthday present from Jack,” I smiled as my eyes landed on the small band.

“Awe,” they gushed in unison.

“That’s so cute,” Carolyn began before biting her lip. “What did he say when he gave it to you?” She asked. I shrugged and rolled onto my back resting my feet on the wall behind me.

“Nothing much just if he were ever a dick or whatever he does he wants me to know he still loves me,” I shrugged. “Why?” I asked looking back at them. Louise sent Kara a cautious look and Carolyn continued to play with the bed sheets and bite her lip. “Is something wrong with that?” I asked frowning at all the look on their faces.

“No,” Carolyn answered quietly shaking her head. Unfortunately for her the looks on all of their faces gave me enough evidence to grow concern.

“What’s going on?” I asked clearly worried.

“Nothing, it’s just really sad thinking that you’d ever fight or anything. You know, because of how close you are,” she explained. I let out a heavy sigh and sat back up.

“I think you’re just missing the guys. What are we even planning to do today?” I asked tilting my head.

“I was supposed to go pick up some things from the mall with Alex,” Louise sighed sitting back up with the rest of us.

“Could Jack and I come along?” I asked looking between the other girls.

“Please do. I can’t deal with long walks with only Alex for conversation,” Louise groaned. I laughed and looked to the others.

“You guys wanna come?” I asked.

“I would but I have a ton of college stuff to sort out,” Kara sighed. “God I hate my mom,” she groaned burying her face into the bed sheets. Carolyn giggled at her before turning back up to look at us.

“I’m all for it. Zack can’t come along though. He promised he’d spend today with his dad,” she nodded. I let out a soft ‘aw’ and smiled to myself at the thought.

“Yeah should we go then?” Louise asked looking between all of us.

“Yep. Sure. Go have fun without me,” Kara scowled at her causing us all to laugh.

“Come on. I’ll drop you back at your place on the way,” I insisted. She nodded once and we all stood up making our way from my room. We all piled into the car, Kara and Louise sharing a back seat whilst I drove and Louise called shotgun. As I pulled out of the driveway Lisa began playing with the radio, taking requests from the two hecklers in the back until they finally settled on a CD I could care less about. When we pulled up outside Kara’s house I heard her sigh to herself. As I turned around she was looking out the window at her home. “We’ll call you back later if you? In fact,” I began turning in my seat so I could face all of them. “Why don’t all you guys come over tonight? We can invite the guys too. We could have a movie night,” I suggested looking at the faces. Kara’s face was smoothed over by a warm smile as she looked at the other girls and nodded. They all agreed before Kara waved us off and left the car. Returning her wave we set off once more to meet the other guys.

If there was one thing that bugged me about that day it was the lack of conversation between Jack and me. As if he had suddenly changed overnight he seemed reluctant to speak to me. All conversation was one sided and the most I’d receive in reply would be a one word answer.

“So,” I began sitting my hands on either side of me on the bench. Jack was sat to my side with his chin resting on his hand. “Me and the girls were thinking about having a movie night tonight,” I said softly studying his expression despite the fact he wasn’t facing me.

“Hm,” came his answer.

“Well. Do you want to come?” I asked uneasily. At this point he turned to face me.

“Sorry, what?” He asked. I let out a frustrated sigh and ran my fingers through my hair.

“Forget it,” I replied in a stern tone. He didn’t shift for a moment as I dropped my eyes to my shoes.

“Sorry. Yeah, I’ll come along,” he mumbled. I never looked up, simply shook my head in confusion. I didn’t know what I’d done or what had happened. It seemed that he was only distant as far as I was concerned but perhaps I was just being paranoid. I felt his hand take a hold of mine and I leaned into his side. Neither of us said anything to each other or anyone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey darling, I hope you're good tonight
And I know you don't feel right when I'm leaving
Yeah, I want it but no, I don't need it
Tell me something sweet to get me by
'Cause I can't come back home 'til they're singin'
La, la la la, la la la
'Til everyone is singin'


-THE RIPPER