Sequel: She's Dancing Alone

Dark Eyed Dreamers

One of the Boys

“I’m sorry Bri. I’m spending today with Alex,” Louise replied quietly with more than just a tinge of sadness to her voice.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it,” I replied letting the disappointment slip into my tone.

“I’m really sorry,” she replied seeming even more upset.

“No, don’t worry about it,” I sighed letting my eyes slip shut. “All of us can go meet up or something some other time,” I half smiled.

“Yeah, I suppose. I should go though, he’ll be here soon. Love you Annie,” she murmured.

“Okay, love you too sweetie,” I replied before we both hung up. I let out a low sigh. I’d been unable to sleep, my eyes glancing anxiously towards the glowing red letters every other hour with my heart pounding at an irregular pace. When I’d woken I’d gone over several different outcomes of the scene in my head, pre-planning what I wanted to say as I got dressed.

Carolyn was spending time with Zack today, his suggestion and was taking her to the beach with some friends from their high school so they could spend time together before college. Kara told me she was sick and I had no idea what Rian was doing. I sighed as I scrolled through my phonebook, wincing as I passed Jack’s name until I reached a familiar name and smiled. I pressed the call button and waited for the reply at the other end. It only rang three times before the noises ceased.

“Hello?” Came a female voice.

“Jamie,” I whispered in a positive tone.

“Oh hey baby girl, how’s it going?” She chirped.

“Great,” I lied. We spoke for a little while more. Soon enough we were discussing moving to college. I told her about all of my plans to board with Carolyn and how I’d visit her on holidays if she came down with the rest of my family. Midway through conversation I caught sight of the time and bolted upright on my covers. “Oh, Jamie I gotta go and meet Jack. Is it okay if I ring you back later?” I asked keeping my eyes on the clock.

“Of course it is. But make sure you do ring me or I’ll be checking up on you,” she giggled down the phone.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll call,” I smiled. “Love you James,” I grinned.

“Stop it, that’s a boy’s name,” she began with distaste in her tone. “Bye love you too,” she finished and we both hung up. I slowly placed the phone back on the sheets, taking one last glance at the clock before standing and flattening out my shirt. I fastened my coat and made my way from the house. It was a long walk but it gave me time to perfect my questions. I felt my palms begin to sweat from inside my pockets and took the last few corners before coming face to face with two parted trees. I took a deep breath and swallowed my anxiety as I stepped forward. I kept walking until I saw Jack sat on a wooden table. His phone was in his hands and his fingers were moving swiftly over the pad. I let out a sigh and approached him. When I got close enough he slipped his phone into his back pocket. I took a seat opposite him and sent him a weak smile.

“Hey,” he muttered as I sat down.

“Hi,” I replied even quieter as I bit down on my lip and sat as if I were unwelcome on the perch of my seat.

“I’ve got some stuff I need to tell you,” he began playing with his fingers.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you can wait 'til I get home
Then I swear to you that we can make this last
(La la la)
If you can wait 'til I get home
Then I swear come tomorrow, this will all be in our past
It might be for the best


-THE RIPPER