Status: 23/10/2010 - I'M WRITING THE NEXT UPDATE. Stupidly long wait, but it's almost there. C: ♥

He's an inspiration

Two!

I finish off my set with a cover of Geek In Pink, a Jason Mraz song, of course, and leave the stage. The slight sound of applause from the small audience gives me a boost in confidence. I smile. It’s small things like this that make me carry on doing what I love to do most - music.

I stand a few feet from the makeshift stage, holding my guitar in it’s stickered guitar case, and watch the newest edition to the small club’s solo act list. Her name is Lauren, she sings, and plays the guitar. She reminds me of myself a little bit. I carry on watching her set, usually I would’ve been half my way to my house, and my bedroom with my nice, warm bed and stereo, by now, but something about her voice has stopped me in my tracks. It’s transfixing, she puts everything into what she sings, and plays, you can see it in her face. The way her eyes close, delicately; the way her head tilts to one side in concentration and happiness, and the way there’s that small hint of a smile as she sings. Transfixing, definitely.

I wait for her to finish, walk off the stage and put her guitar into its case. I watch her movements, she does it all swiftly and with the most delicate touch. She glances up and smiles, she’s caught me watching. I smile back and she beckons me over.

“Yo, I’m Lauren. I saw your set before; your voice is amazing. And your cover of Geek In Pink - wow,” She smiles again and I can’t help but think that this is a start of something.

- - -

“Yo! Edd! Get your ass over here you lanky… Person!”
I chuckle lightly to myself - Lauren. I’ve known her as little as a week and already we’re as close to best friends as I’ve ever been with a person in this forsaken place I’ve called home for 17 years of my life.

She sees my smile and grins back, telling me to hurry up. I quicken pace and stop abruptly in front of her waiting form. She pokes me chest and playfully tells me off for being late. I just smile my simple smile and she rolls her eyes at me, smiling nonetheless.

“Lau, we’ve got ages to get there. The solo show doesn’t start for another half an hour you know,”

“I know, I know. But I’ve got a special surprise!” She grinned. I raise an eyebrow and she just grins wider, “We’re doing a duet!”

My eyes must have gone wide and popped out of my head or something, because never have I seen someone that small laugh so loud! I stuttered, trying to find the right words to say.
“Oh come on Edd, it’s not that bad. You like the song, you love the artist. All will be fine! I promise you,”

“It better be something good then,” I smile warily. “Now, tell me what it is Lau!”

She grins and shakes her head, running towards the entrance of the club. “You’ll find out when everyone else does, Edd!”

I sigh and shake my head, following her into the club to set up, muttering to myself, “You’re going to kill me one day, you really are.”

- - -

I smiled up curiously at Lauren on the stage, who had just winked at me. She finished her song and stood up, grabbing the spare mic.
“This may be solo hour, but my friend here, Edd, another one of the solo stars, has agreed to do a duet with me. Admittedly, he has no idea what song he is going to be accompanying me in, but he will get it as soon as I start playing. So, Edd, get you skinny butt up on this stage right now!” She finished her little speech and grinned at me. I rolled my eyes, gulped, and walked up onto the stage, grabbing my guitar and the mic. This could be fun…

Lauren winked at me and started to play the beginning chords, I instantly knew what it was. I felt my whole body relax as I started playing along, with a smile planted firmly on my face. And as soon as that, I found myself singing,
“Did you get my message
The one I left
While I was trying to condense everything
That I meant in a minute or less when I called to confess
And make all of my stresses go bye-bye,”

Then Lauren was singing, we both know this song oh-so well. I found myself constantly enjoying myself throughout the whole song, the atmosphere around us was amazing. I look over at Lau and find that she’s smiling too. This has to be one of the best performances of my life; she creates such a light feeling to everything. Now, as soon as I know it, we’re singing the last two lines of the song and I feel myself put everything I have left into, just like I knew she would do.
“Why, did you get my message,”

“Why don’t you answer the phone.”

That last line that Lau sung had everybody in the whole club clapping her, us, for the duet. No-one had ever got every single person clapping - until now. I think I could get used to this…
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment / subs? (:

I worked quickly on this one, Edd is a pushy sod. :D

Lau, ♥