Status: Completed

Trust or Kill

Chapter 2: The kid Jacob wouldn't take his eyes from

He kept his promise, he came the next morning.
"Hi!" I greeted him brightly.
"Hey, so you ready?" Jacob asked. I nodded and told him definitely, that's when he finally noticed me for the first time, "You look good" he said with a smile and raised eyebrows.
I grinned, "I love black". He nodded since that explained why I was covered head to toe in black, even my combat boots were of that color. "Where's Seth?" I asked curiously, he hadn't come back with us yesterday, he said he was sleeping over.
"Exactly where we are supposed to meet him," I heard some uneasiness in the tone.
"Something wrong with him?"
Jacob frowned, "No... only that's he's been acting weird ever since last night."
I nodded, not wishing to converse, I got on the bike Jacob came over by and kick started it. Then I twisted the throttle slightly so that it was moving slowly.
I could handle this easy.
"You know, you're pretty good for a first timer," Jacob laughed.
I blinked, "I'm not a first timer, I've just ridden smaller ones."
"Oh, right, sorry, I forgot." My heart sank; it's obvious that he wasn't interested in me a single bit. But it didn't really matter I suppose, "Need a ride?" I teased.
He laughed and got on behind me and I took off.
Something about him was strange... he was so... warm. Too warm.
The moment I asked him if he had a fever or something, he stiffened. My eyebrows pulled together on that. I wasn't the type who let natural reactions pass my eyes easily. There must be something Jacob was hiding... was he sick? But why would he want to hide that?

We finally reached the beach and the moment I parked, Jacob got off the bike and ran towards a young kid, probably a few years younger than me, Seth seemed to have been taking care off. I also noticed that the moment Seth saw me, his eyes widened.
Strange.
"That your kid or something?" I asked, struggling to keep enthusiasm in my voice. For some reason, Jacob looked incredulous, I didn't miss that Seth poked him in the ribs before he smiled and told me the kid's name was Renesme, and she was the child of his best friend.
But something was wrong in the way he looked at Renesme. It was all almost as if... as if he loved her, as in really was in love with her... so freaking weird.
Maybe Jacob wasn't the guy I thought he was, maybe he was some sick psycho.
I felt Seth's gaze on me, and quickly looked away from Jacob.
"You like him, don't you?" he whispered.
I stared at him coldly, I was planning to deny it, but something about him made me receive the urge to tell him the truth, and only the truth. "Yes."
He nodded; it bothered me much more than it should that I couldn't read his expression... disappointment? No, it couldn't be, we've barely met. "It’s weird, isn't it? The way they're always together."
I looked and Renesme, one look was enough to tell me that she felt something for Jacob as well. I shuddered, "Yeah."
Seth sat down beside me, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"
I snorted, "Hell no."
"I didn't too, but something these two do seem say that love at first sight is something strong, doesn't it?"
I looked into his eyes. They were beautiful. But nothing like Jacobs, "What do you mean?" I wanted to know.
"Do you know what Imprinting is? You know, in terms of mythical creatures and stuff like that," he asked. I frowned, then nodded. As a student journalist, I have come across people who believed in stuff like werewolves and vampires. Yeah, right, it's totally absurd.
"When you look at them, don't you think it feels a lot like they're meant to be together, like one side had probably imprinted on the other?" I suddenly felt warm. Really warm and funny.
I raised my eyebrows and got up, "I don' know, but I guess it's none of my business. I think I'm going to go-"
"What do you see when you look at me?"
I looked and frowned, I had never really looked at him. It's almost impossible when Jacob was around. And at that moment, I tried. Oh believe me; I tried to look at him. See the inside of him... but I just couldn't. Never had I fallen for someone to the level that I couldn’t even look at other guys. Never.
I shook my head and ran back to the bike.
That’s when I noticed something was wrong. A moment ago, when I was sitting beside Seth, I was so warm, but now I was cold. So cold.
The same thing goes with Jacob. When I’m around him, the chill of Forks never get to me.
And there’s the fact that practically the whole Clearwater's house was always warm. That’s a connection between the Blacks and the Clearwaters.
There is something going on with the people here. Something very weird.
I glance at Jacob and Renesme, building a sand castle together, laughing, and talking. Seth was looking at them too, his head then dipped and I could see pain in his features, but I didn't understand why. Though I knew at that instant that there was something Seth wasn't proud of, something he was keeping from me… or everyone for that matter. Goosebumps formed on my arm, for the first time in many years, I felt scared... but I manage to recover myself...
I knew what I had to do. Something was strange. I felt it, I knew it, and I know that I had to get to the bottom of this. Because at the bottom, lies my chance for fulfilling my dream. The chance that I had once declined thanks to my parents.
Now, all I want is truth and honestly. I hated secrecy, I hated lies, my parents taught that much. Right now, I hate them. Them and the games they play, them and their cowardice.
I want the truth of this place.
Then I had to let the people know.
And stay away from Forks or the people possessing this area.
...Because Forks has a dark secret... but soon… it wouldn’t have one anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it sounds stupid. But once it gets to um... Chapter 5, it starts getting better.

Love,
Em (Jj)