Status: Completed

Trust or Kill

Chapter 3: My kind of luck.

Did you know that I have had two abilities that had helped me with school’s journalism in the past?

I had good instincts, intuition, senses, whatever they called it. I could see right through people, and I could tell if something fishy is going on.

I had a good memory. If I wanted to remember something, I remembered.

And of course, I could write… passably.

But where talent lies, flaws also dominate. What I happened to be doing, lost, in a forest where there was no sight of any human beings was part of my flaw: bad luck.

As if my luck couldn’t get any worse, that was the day I met my first vampire… first two vampires actually. It started when I was riding my bike to get as far away as I can from La Push so that I could think... and grieve over Jacob, I suppose. Before I knew it, I was riding through a meadow, and then I came to the forest where, surprisingly, the track seemed to have been cleared enough for my motorbike to run through.

But I was sure no one came this way… ever.

Then I heard a swift swoosh of the wind.

I spun around widely, but not stupidly. Once was enough. Something was out there, and I knew it.

I clenched my fist and crouched into a springing position. That always been my best form of attack.

Looking around, I spotted him. One minute there was nothing, the next he was there.

My breath caught, he was the most beautiful creature I have ever met. He was different from Jacob and Seth. Jacob was manly, tough, bad… more human than this person was. He was strong, and seemed like marble thanks to his pale skin and body structure. I could tell that his body was cold, just how cold I didn’t know.

But for some reason, I didn’t fall for him as I fell for Jacob at first sight. Well that proves that looks do not mean anything to me.

He growled.

“Who are you?” I asked defensively.

“I should be asking you that question,” he said in a musical voice, but it still seemed like he was snarling… or at least trying to.

I grimaced, “Tis’ your property huh?” I get really pissed when people do that.

“No.” I realized that was the only answer I was going to get, the man turned to the trees “Alice how did this happen?”

A slim, happy-looking girl came out from the trees. Her beauty was a lot like his, pale, marble-like. But something about her made me like her already. She seemed like the type of person I’d like to get to know. And I did, I wanted to know her, she was just irresistibly cute and friendly.

I saw the guy turned his head to my direction and cocked an eyebrow.

They whispered something, and I caught two lines before they lowered their voices future; “I couldn’t see her coming,” the girl called Alice said, to which the man replied, “Jacob got something to do with it?” and I did hear something like, “Whatever make you think that?”

After that, there was a silent exchange between them. Then Alice eyes seemed to go unfocused for the slightest second.

I stared, startled.

The guy frowned at me. Attempting to distract me? His frowned deepened into an obviously disgusted expression.

I looked at him with hate, how could he be so mean? He blinked then asked in a softer voice than before “What’s you name?”

I looked at him and decided that I would answer to that tone, “Kanie Park.”

“You’re new to Forks?” I nodded. “Where are you staying?”

I stared at him. A year of student journalism had taught me something, “I’m not answering that until I know you name and check with the local Sheriff if you’re psycho or not.” He blinked a few times then chuckled deep and low, “Trust me, if I really was a psycho, you would be dead.”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m not scared.”

“I think she’s telling the truth,” Alice cut in, they looked at each other, another silent exchange. Damn! How did they do that? “After that its blank,” I head Alice whisper, then she lowered her voice into a pitch that I couldn’t hear at all.

I needed to have my ears checked.

Suddenly, the man chuckled again as if he read my thoughts and Alice raised her eyebrows then turned to me, “Hi! I’m Alice, Alice Cullen. This is my brother, Edward.”

Alice and Edward… that sounds familiar. Cullen. Oh.

Something clicked, “You know Mike Newton?” I asked somewhat excitedly. Alice and Edward looked confused, “Yes,” they said in union.

I laughed. Last night Mike called in, and refused to listen to my truthful accusations, before hanging up he said, “Oh, and Kanie, don’t forget to write a story on the Cullens. They’re the freakiest weirdos in town.”

Edward’s eyes met mine, and I could tell he was holding back his own laughter.

Strange. It was almost as if he could read my mind.

Then I realized it was getting late, so I told them I had to go back to La Push. The last part sort of slipped out, then Edward told me he was married to the sheriff’s daughter, and he swore he wasn’t a psycho.

Married? Wasn’t he a little too young for that?

I got back to the Clearwater’s by the time the sky had turned dark. “Welcome back, Kanie,” Sue said as she opened the door, “I was starting to get worried about you.”

That touched me, “Thank you,” I said. Sue looked confused, “For worrying,” I added. She smiled warmly at me. I was really starting to like Sue.

Leah passed by and wrinkled her nose, “Urgh. You smell like them.”

“Who?”

“No one, just go take a bath, you really stink.”

“Gee, thanks, Leah.” I said sarcastically, but I did note the “them”. Leah smiled, “Anytime”. And I smiled back.

I went to my room and grabbed towel then headed for the bathroom.

As I turned to open the water to fill the bathtub, I head the door open and close behind again.

“Seth?” He looked angry. “You met the Cullens, didn’t you?” he demanded. I nodded. “Stay away from them.” That sounded like an order.

I narrowed my eyes at him, “You can’t tell me what to do.”

His features softened, “I’m sorry… but please they… they are dangerous.”

“Isn’t Edward married to the chief’s daughter?” I asked. Seth smiled, “You know a lot for just one day out.”

I shrugged, “We crossed paths and I thought he was a psycho, it all went down from there.”

He smiled, but then as immediate as his smile had come, he smile had left and his features darkened, “You aren’t in love with him yet are you?”

I stared at him, “For your information I’m still in love with Jacob.”

Seth seemed relief then hurt. Hurt? “Can’t you change your mind about Jake?” He came closer to me

“Um. It’s not me, it’s my feelings which… I can’t control?” I backed until I hit the wall.

He still kept coming closer, “Is he even good enough for you?” we were literally nose-to-nose now. Seth closed his eyes and started to lean in, at the same time the door opened and Leah was looking at us.

“Oh, sorry to disturb your cozy little meeting, but Sam’s looking for you Seth.” I blinked, Seth nodded, then left.

Then Leah turned to me, “Don’t worry. I have NO objections at all. It was about time he found someone.” Then she left, closing the door behind her.

My head swam, what had just nearly happened?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, they aren't going to get cozy just yet!