Status: Have moved primarily to FictionPress.. Will update this too when I get the chance.

Kindly Unspoken

Chapter Three.

The last few days had dragged by. She hadn’t been able to bring herself to look back into the box that contained her entire childhood. She hadn’t been able to bear looking at those eyes boring through the picture into hers. On the morning of the day of her departure Eva got up at seven am and double checked she had everything packed. Her three large suitcases stood by her bed containing all the clothes she owned. She had a large rucksack containing her personal hygiene items and a big cardboard box that contained the rest of her belongings. She checked again that she hadn’t left anything else out other than her small travel bag which contained her iPod and a bottle of water and settled down on her bed and sighed heavily. She knew it wasn’t going to be easy. She knew was going to have to go to a new school to finish her last year in secondary education. She’d been asked several times since her parents death if she wanted to remain in a mainstream school. She had honestly contemplated saying no and letting herself be sent off to a school for children with psychological problems. But in the end she agreed to continue at a mainstream school. She was bright. In fact she was probably smarter than an average seventeen year old and she just didn’t think she could handle people being so condescending about her.

She sat upright as she heard footsteps down the hall. Her stomach lurched as it came closer to the time of her departure. Her mind had been working overdrive for hours the night before. As well as not speaking Eva didn’t sleep well. She had recurring nightmares about her parents death. The accident scene - or how she imagined it - had played over and over again in her heard every time she did try to sleep so she had now become somewhat of an insomniac. Maria’s face appeared in the doorway and motioned to her that it was time to leave. Eva hauled as much of her luggage with her as possible and Maria helped with what was left. She approached the large reception area to see Lucie and Michael Kelman standing before her. They were smiling warmly as they spotted Eva making her way towards them.

“Good morning Eva” Lucie said with a small smile and nod to Eva.

Eva nodded and smiled in return. Michael remained silent with his eyes fixed ahead. Eva couldn’t help but feel that Michael felt slightly more uneasy about this morning than both Eva or Lucie did. Eva’s belongings were packed into the back of the Kelman’s car and Eva returned inside to see Maria for one last time. Upon stepping back into the reception area Eva was engulfed into a firm embrace by Maria. She smiled at this and pulled back to look at Maria.

“As much as I care for you, I hope I never need to see you back here again unless you‘re just visiting” Maria said in a whisper with a hint of emotion in her voice.

Eva nodded and waved her final farewell to Maria as she stepped outside into the mild June air. She opened the back door to the Kelman’s car, placed her iPod headphones on and began to watch the place that she had spent more of the last year in than anywhere else fade away as they drove off down the street. Eva contented herself on the journey by watching the route they were taking and trying to guess which area the Kelman’s lived in. In which, she was now going to be living. She hadn’t been told this. Maria had asked if she wanted to know but she shook her head firmly declining the information. She had been too used to playing this game on her journeys to new homes for to want to know her destination and deprive herself of her only other source of preoccupation. After driving for what she guessed must have been an hour and a half they had stopped at a petrol station. Lucie turned in her seat and told Eva that she had permission to go into the shop and get herself some refreshments. She also extended her hand to Eva and placed a five pound note in her hand. Eva smiled in thanks and nodded to Lucie before letting herself out of the car and going into the small petrol station shop. She picked up a bottle of water and some sweets and crisps. She paid for her items and then decided to use this opportunity to use the bathroom before continuing on the journey.