NYC

Unfaithful

My eyes stung so much that another three drops of tears came flowing down. I'm tired of crying. I did it all night long without stopping, without my mom by my side...It's been three months, and I can say that I'm the only one who hasn't still got over it. And since then, my life has turned upside down. I'm no longer the party-loving, popular girl in the city that everyone knows. I know that people talk about me behind my back, thanks to the newspapers and paparazzis who follow my every move. It's also because of my dad who owns the local newspaper. So then I'm known as the, "royal newspaper girl". Ugh.

I sat up in my bed, wondering what the day would bring me. Probably more drama. Sigh.

***

"Hey, Amanda.", my dad said. How could he even have the guts to greet me after what he did last night?
"Hi.", I replied. I was surprised at how lifeless my voice sounded.
"So, what are your plans this Saturday?"
"I don't know."

I played with my breakfast as I looked down to hide my tears.

"What's up with you?", he asked, confused.
"Nothing."

He held my hand and looked at me sincerely.

"Honey, I'm so, so, so ,sorry about last night."

I didn't speak.

"I know you miss your mom, Amanda. I miss her, too. A lot. Even more than you could imagine."
"Yeah. Whatever."
"I'm leaving for today. Some press conference for the paper."
"Bye.", I said. I didn't know what else to say.

He left the table.

***

I blankly checked my e-mail to let time pass, but there's no mail. So I browsed the internet instead, searching for myself.

Photos, rumors, parodies, I'm so sick of it.

I looked at Billy's column for today's paper, and surprised at what he had written about my dad.

"...these things are fairly connected to Marcus Leigh, owner of the NYC Post newspaper, and engaged to the owner of Charms fashion line to be shown at New York Fashion week, Miranda Jacobs..."