Sequel: Do I Dream Again

Disregard the Lies

Long Day

Sadie walked into the Ice Girls audition, not able to believe that she was actually there. She looked around at all the skimpily dressed girls, and then looked down at her own outfit of yoga pants and a red tank top. She put her blonde hair up in a pony tail as she pushed her way through the crowd, trying to get to the sign-up table.

Finally, she saw a man sitting between two women at a table. The man’s eyes roamed over her body, and then turned his attention to the girl standing beside her, who was wearing extremely short shorts and a sports bra. Sadie rolled her eyes as she spoke to one of women. “I’m Sadie Richards,” she told them.

“Fill these papers out,” the brunette woman said in a monotonous tone. Sadie grabbed the clipboard out of her hands, and quickly filled out the forms before handing them back to the woman. “Have a seat over there,” she said, pointing towards a wall where most of the other girls were crowded.

Sadie walked over towards the wall, listening to all the girls’ conversations along the way. Nearly every single one of them was saying that they were doing it so they could hook up with players. Well, that’s a good thing to put in my story, Sadie thought to herself as she accidentally ran into someone.

She looked up at the girl, surprised to see her dressed in spandex with a pair of shorts on top of them and a green tank top. “Sorry,” Sadie apologized.

“Oh, no, it was my fault,” the red-haired girl told her before holding out her hand. “I’m Kyra,” she smiled.

“Sadie,” Sadie replied. “So, I have to say, you don’t exactly look like all the other girls here,” Sadie told her, pointing towards Kyra’s clothes.

“Well, I could say the same thing about you,” Kyra joked.

“Touché,” Sadie told her with a raised eyebrow. “So, Kyra, where are you from?” Sadie asked, trying to make conversation while she waited to be called so she could go audition. She still couldn’t believe that you actually had to audition to pick up some ice shavings and twirl around on the ice!

“I was born and raised in New York, but I moved here four years ago when my daughter was born, and I was offered a job at a PR firm,” Kyra told her. Sadie’s eyes widened a bit, and Kyra continued. “And, this is the time that you quickly walk away from me, not wanting to associate with me anymore, because you just found out that I have a daughter.”

“No!” Sadie exclaimed, and Kyra spun back around to look at her. “That’s not it at all! In fact, I want to talk to you even more now that I know all of that.”

“Really?” Kyra questioned, not believing her.

“Yeah!” Sadie told her, nodding her head. “I’m just trying to figure out why you’re auditioning to become an Ice Girl if you’ve already got a good job and you have a four year old daughter.”

“My job doesn’t exactly pay me that much. So, I figured since I can skate, that this would be an easy job on the side. Plus, my neighbor already offered to babysit Sophia if I got this job,” Kyra explained.

“Sophia? Is that your daughter’s name?” Sadie asked.

Kyra nodded her head. “Yeah,” she smiled, and Sadie could already tell that Kyra was an excellent mother, and that the two of them were going to get along just fine. Now, she was just hoping that both would become Ice Girls.

Sadie was about to ask about the father when an executive came into the room, saying who he wanted to come out onto the ice first. “Okay,” he yelled. “I want anyone whose last name begins with the letter A to follow me out onto the ice!”

“Great!” Sadie exclaimed sarcastically. “This is going to be a long day!”

“Does your last name start with a Z?” Kyra asked her.

“No, an R. Sadie Richards.”

“Oh, well, then we’ll be together. Kyra Rivers,” she told her.

Over the next two hours, the two girls learned a lot about each other. Sadie learned that the father of Sophia never wanted anything to do with either one of them, and he had fled before Sophia was even born. Kyra had tracked him down the previous year, having him sign over all rights he had to Sophia. Now, Kyra was living in the apartment complex that was right down the street from Sadie’s, and Kyra’s neighbor, Melanie, babysat Sophia whenever Kyra was working.

Their conversation was interrupted when the executive came back out into the room, finally calling the R’s. Kyra turned around to Sadie, wishing her good luck, before the two girls walked out onto the ice.

Sadie looked around, and she noticed a group of guys standing in the stands. She knew they weren’t judges or anything, and upon further inspection, she realized that they were various Red Wings players. She couldn’t believe that they would allow the players to watch the auditions!

She turned towards Kyra, pointing out the guys. Kyra let out a little laugh, saying, “Honestly, I’m not that surprised. I mean, what guy would turn down the chance to see a bunch of scantily clad girls?”

“Did you just say ‘scantily clad’?” Sadie laughed.

“Yes, I did. And, don’t make fun of me for it,” Kyra told her as the executive told the girls that he wanted to see what kinds of figure skating moves the girls could do.

Sadie watched on as each girl did their best moves, with at least half of them falling on their butts in the process. Sadie tried to stifle her laugh each time, but by the sixth girl that had fallen, she couldn’t help it any longer. She looked up to see all but one of the players staring at the girl who was picking herself up off the ice. The other player was staring at Sadie, however.

Sadie stared into his chocolate eyes, trying to see if she could figure out who he was. She wasn’t the biggest fan of the Red Wings, so it wasn’t as if she could immediately recognize a player. They continued to have a staring contest, with the man smiling slightly, up until Sadie heard her name being called.

She reluctantly pulled her eyes away from his and went to center ice, getting ready to perform her tricks. She looked over at Kyra, who mouthed “good luck” to her, and she gave her a quick smile before she started skating, quickly picking up speed.

Sadie decided to show off a little, knowing she would still be able to pull off all the difficult stunts she worked so hard on all those years before. When she had finished, she looked up and saw all the girls with shocked expressions on their faces. She looked over at Kyra, who was beaming, as if it had been her that had just completed those jumps. Finally, she looked up at the players, who just seemed to be standing there, speechless.

Sadie’s eyes once again locked with the dark-haired guy’s eyes, and he smiled at her. Sadie gave him a small smile back before turning her back on him to watch the last two girls do their routines.

After they were finished, the executive announced, “Okay, ladies, you all did a wonderful job. We’ll let you know who made the cut tomorrow. Thank you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Comments?