Sequel: Do I Dream Again

Disregard the Lies

Stay

Sadie heard the doorbell ring as she tried to pack her clothes, and she sighed as she ran out into the living room to answer it. “Kyra, I told you I’m not leaving until the morning,” she began, swinging the door open. “You’re not Kyra,” she said when she saw Henrik standing there.

“No, last time I checked I was not a gorgeous red headed woman,” Henrik joked, walking inside her apartment.

Sadie looked over at him as she comprehended his words. “You think she’s gorgeous?” she asked, and she saw Henrik blush a bit while he refused to answer her question. “God, you two are perfect for each other. I don’t get why you won’t just go out already!” she exclaimed.

“So, you really are moving?” Henrik asked, intentionally changing subjects.

“Yep. Seattle here I come,” she said in a bored voice.

“You don’t sound happy,” Henrik observed.

“I am,” she told him with a fake smile, and he looked at her skeptically. “It’s just, I’m going to miss Detroit and everyone here. You, Kyra, Soph…” she trailed off.

“Jon,” Henrik filled in.

“Jon,” she agreed.

“He told me that you two are trying out this new thing of not being friends,” he told her, and she nodded her head. “Whose stupid idea was that?”

“His,” Sadie mumbled.

“Is he the reason why you’re leaving?” Henrik asked.

“Partially,” she admitted. “But, that’s not all. I mean, I have no job here anymore. The paper in Seattle offered me a spot. I couldn’t turn it down,” she told him.

“Do you really want that position, though?” he asked her.

“I have no choice,” Sadie told him.

“You always have a choice.”

“Hank,” Sadie groaned.

“Okay, I’m done trying to convince you to stay. I hope you have success over there. I’m going to miss you, Sadie. But, you know where to find me. Call me anytime you want to talk,” he said, leaning over and giving her a hug.

“Thank you, Hank,” she said, tears forming in her eyes. “You have been amazing to me, and I don’t know how to thank you.”

“Well, you could stay,” he joked. “Alright, I’m off,” he told her, making his way through the maze of boxes to the door. “Goodbye, Sadie.”

“Bye, Hank,” she told him, watching as the door shut behind him.

Later that evening, she heard the doorbell ring again, and there was a small part of her that believed it would be Jonathan. She walked over to the door, opening it to reveal Kyra on the other side. “You look disappointed to see me,” Kyra said with a laugh, noticing Sadie’s facial expression.

“I just…” she trailed off.

“Were wishing that I was Jonathan?” Kyra asked.

“You know me too well,” Sadie said with a laugh.

“You are my best friend, after all,” Kyra told her. “Are you sure there’s no way that I can convince you to stay?” she asked.

“You sound like Hank,” Sadie sighed.

“Hank?” Kyra asked.

“Yeah, he was over here earlier,” she told him. “By the way, he thinks you’re a gorgeous red head,” she added with a laugh, remembering what Henrik had said when he had first walked in. Kyra gave her a confused look, and she clarified. “I mentioned your name, and he said you were a gorgeous red head.”

“Sadie, nothing’s going on between me and him.”

“Not yet,” Sadie countered.

“You know, if you stayed here in Detroit, you could try your matchmaking skills on us,” Kyra laughed.

“You’re really desperate to get me to stay here, aren’t you?” Sadie asked, knowing how much Kyra would hate it if Sadie tried to set her and Henrik up.

“I don’t want to see my best friend go to Seattle. Besides, you’ve already told me that this isn’t your dream job,” Kyra reminded her.

“Yeah, but it’s a job,” Sadie pointed out.

“What if I could find you a job here?” Kyra asked suddenly.

“What do you mean?”

“If I could find you a journalist job here, would you stay?”

“I guess, but you’re not going to find one,” Sadie told her. “I’ve already looked here.”

“Give me a month.”

“What?”

“Give me a month. I’m sure I can find you one in a month,” Kyra claimed.

“You want me to turn down my job in Seattle and stay here for a month while you try to find me a job?” Sadie asked, trying to make sure she had understood Kyra correctly.

“Yes,” Kyra said, nodding her head.

“Fine,” Sadie sighed.

“Seriously?”

“Yes, I’ll stay, but only for a month unless you can find me a job,” Sadie told her.

“Oh my God, I love you!” Kyra exclaimed, embracing her best friend. “Okay, I’m off to find you a job,” Kyra told her. “But, how about we go get lunch tomorrow?”

“Sure,” Sadie said with a laugh, not able to believe how happy she had made Kyra by agreeing to stay there for one more month.

***

Sadie went out to the local deli, planning on getting some food since she had absolutely nothing in her apartment since she thought she would be gone the next day. She stood in line, waiting for her number to be called when she turned to her right and saw a very familiar face.

“Jonathan,” she called out, and he turned around at his name.

“Sadie,” he stated, giving her a nod.

“Jon, I just wanted to let you know that I’m going to be here another month. I know we’re not friends, but I just wanted to let you know in case we ran into each other or anything,” she told him.

“Okay,” he said dismissively, walking off in the opposite direction.

“Okay,” Sadie sighed. “This is going to be one long month,” she muttered under her breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, that’s the end for this story, but don’t worry, there is a sequel. It took a lot of convincing for me to write a Red Wings story (actually, it took me losing a bet—thanks Kristina). But, I have to admit, I had a lot of fun writing it. I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

And, now about the sequel. The first chapter’s already posted, so if you want to read it, just click on the button at the top right of this page.

Thank you to every single one of you! I loved hearing what you had to say about this story. I’d love to hear one last comment from each of you on this story =)