Sequel: Do I Dream Again

Disregard the Lies

Some Guys Have All the Luck

Sadie breathed in the scent of baking cookies as she stood outside of Kyra’s apartment. She had called her earlier wanting to talk to her about Jonathan, knowing that she couldn’t keep her relationship with him a secret much longer. She had tried not to tell anyone about it, but she needed to confide in at least one person, so she called Kyra asking to talk to her.

The door whipped open, and Sadie found herself eye-to-eye with Kyra. “Hey, come on in,” Kyra smiled. “I’m just baking some cookies for Sophia right now. She’s got a bake sale for her preschool,” she told her, making her way to the kitchen where a small, red-haired girl was standing. “Sophia, this is my friend, Sadie. Sadie, this is my daughter, Sophia,” Kyra introduced.

“Hi, Sophia,” Sadie smiled.

“Hi!” Sophia said excitedly. “Do you like to bake, too?” she questioned, looking up at Sadie.

“As a matter of fact, I love to bake,” Sadie told her.

“Soph, sweetie, why don’t you go into the living room while Sadie and I finish up these cookies?” Kyra asked her daughter. “You can go watch Dora the Explorer,” she told her, and Sophia quickly sprinted into the living room, and seconds later, the sounds of Dora filled the apartment. Kyra turned around to look at Sadie. “Well, she’ll be preoccupied for a while,” she smiled. “So, what did you need to talk about? It sounded important on the phone.”

“Um,” Sadie began. “What would you say if I told you that I might have possibly sort of went on a date with one of the Red Wings players?” she asked quickly.

Kyra stared at her for a moment, trying to distinguish what Sadie had just told her. “Who did you go out with?” Kyra asked excitedly, a smile spreading across her face. “No, let me guess! Ericsson?” Sadie nodded her head, and Kyra squealed with excitement. “Oh my God!”

“You’re not angry at me, and you’re not going to stop talking to me or anything like that?” Sadie asked, surprised by Kyra’s reaction to her confession.

“Did you hook up with him?” Kyra suddenly asked.

“No!” Sadie exclaimed, shocked that Kyra would even question that. “We went out for lunch.”

“Okay, then why would you think I’d be angry at you or stop talking to you? I mean, if you would have hooked up with him, I might have done that, thinking that Amber and Macy brainwashed you or something,” Kyra joked. “But, you’re dating a hot hockey player. There’s no reason for me to be mad at you for that.”

“Oh, thank God!” Sadie exclaimed, and Kyra gave her a confused look. “Okay, you’re going to think I’m crazy, but I’ll tell you anyways. You’re practically my best friend. And, I know, we’ve only known each other a couple of weeks, but I wasn’t exactly swarming with friends beforehand. And, I didn’t want to lose your friendship because I was dating a player,” she confessed.

“Sadie, to tell you the truth, you’re my best friend, too,” Kyra told her. “I mean, a lot of my friends left with Sophia’s father. So, I know how you feel. And, seriously, there’s no reason for me to be upset with you for dating Ericsson. Jealous, yes, maybe a little,” she laughed. “But, you’re not going to lose my friendship over it. Though, Amber and Macy may hate you,” she added.

“You can’t tell them,” Sadie blurted out.

“What? What do you mean?” Kyra asked, grabbing the last batch of cookies out of the oven and putting them on the cooling rack.

“Jonathan and I decided to keep it a secret. He’s not telling his teammates, and I’m not supposed to tell any of the girls,” Sadie explained.

“But, you just told me,” Kyra pointed out.

“Yeah, that was part of our deal, though. I told him that I had to tell you, and he agreed,” Sadie confessed.

“Well, I feel honored to be the only other person that knows about your relationship,” Kyra told her. “But, right now, I want to know all the details of what happened. I mean, how did you end up going to lunch with him and come out in a relationship?” she asked, and Sadie sat down at the table, telling her exactly how everything had happened.

***

Sadie walked into the arena, making her way to the Ice Girls’ locker room so she could change into her outfit for the night. As she walked past the girls to her locker, Amber’s voice stood out, and Sadie listened to her conversation with Macy, which consisted of Amber’s plan to get into Jonathan’s bed. Sadie laughed to herself, knowing it was never going to happen, as she unlocked her lock.

“What are you laughing at?” Kyra asked, stepping next to Sadie, getting into her own locker.

“Oh, just Amber,” Sadie told her, shaking her head, as she grabbed her outfit out of her locker and slipped her tennis shoes off.

“What’d she do this time?” Kyra asked.

“Oh, she’s just planning out how she’s going to sleep with Jonathan,” Sadie said, laughing as she put her short shorts on. She hated the outfit so much, and she wished that she could just burn the skimpy shorts and shirt.

Kyra laughed along with her. “You know, I wish I could just tell her the reason why that’s never going to happen,” she said, and Sadie gave her a look that reminded her that she wasn’t allowed to. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to,” Kyra assured her. “I just said that I wish I could!”

“You wish you could what?” Amber questioned, walking behind Sadie and Kyra. “Actually get a man to stay in your life?” she asked, cackling, as she continued walking out of the locker room.

“Have I ever told you how much I fucking hate her?” Kyra asked Sadie.

“Hey, you’re not with her during the game,” Sadie pointed out, still angry at the fact that Maria still hadn’t changed the groupings of the girls, so she was stuck with Amber for the time being.

“Yeah, but in case you forgot, I’m with Macy,” Kyra reminded her.

“Touché,” Sadie told her. “Let’s get out there,” she said, grabbing her skates and then Kyra’s arm, pulling her out of the locker room. “I’ll see you later,” she added as they walked in opposite directions.

As Sadie made her way to the seats, she was suddenly stopped by a Red Wings jersey in front of her. “You know, you look awfully hot in that outfit,” she heard the person say. She looked up into the ever familiar eyes of Jonathan, and she couldn’t help but laugh.

“You know, I hear that line from like fifteen guys a night,” she told him, and the smirk that was on his face quickly fell. “You really should get some new pickup lines,” she joked. “I really better get out there before someone realizes I’m missing,” she told him.

Ignoring her comment, he pulled her close, pressing his lips to hers. Sadie’s eyes went wide before they slowly fluttered shut. Jonathan pulled away, and Sadie’s mind started reeling. She quickly looked around, making sure no one else was in the hallway. “Jonathan!” she scolded, hitting him in the chest.

“What?” he questioned.

“You can’t do that here! You never know who’s going to walk by!” she exclaimed.

“So, if I can’t do that here, can I do it at my place?” he asked her.

“What?” she asked, confused.

“Why don’t you come over to my place tonight after the game?” he asked her. He could see she was hesitating, and he quickly added, “Don’t worry, I’m not planning on doing anything. I just want to spend some time with you, and that’s the only place I can think of without anyone having the chance to catch us.”

“Okay,” Sadie told him, nodding her head. “I’ll meet you back at your place after the game,” she smiled. “Now, I’ve got to go. But, good luck,” she told him, taking small steps backwards towards the entrance that she needed to get to the seats she was assigned to.

“Don’t worry. We’ll win,” he assured her.

“You sure are cocky, aren’t you?” she asked jokingly. “I’ll see you later,” she told him once again, turning around and walking off in the opposite direction.

“Where the hell were you?” Sadie heard Amber question as soon as she reached the seats. “You’re late!”

“Um, Amber, look around,” Sadie ordered, and Amber did as she was told. “No one’s here. So, it doesn’t appear that I’m late,” she told her, as Maggie started laughing from the seat she was sitting in.

“Whatever,” Amber said, turning around and facing the bench.

Sadie and Maggie chuckled as they made their way down to the bottom, close to the ice, as the first few fans began to arrive.

During the third period, she watched as Jonathan scored a goal to make the score four against one, with the Red Wings winning. They went to a commercial break, meaning it was Sadie’s time to go out onto the ice to pick up the ice shavings. She made her way out, and she could immediately hear the yells from all the drunken guys in the arena. She hated being treated like a piece of meat, but she knew that’s what was going to happen when she signed her contract. She had to keep telling herself that this was all for her big break. This was going to be the thing that took her from The Detroit News to The New York Times.

As she skated off the ice, Sadie swore she heard something come from Jonathan that sounded an awful lot like “I told you I didn’t need luck.” As she spun around to look at him, she saw him smiling at her. Sadie rolled her eyes, going back to where Maggie and Amber were standing.

“What did he just say to you?” Amber questioned.

“What are you talking about?” Sadie asked, intentionally being oblivious.

“Ericsson. I saw him say something to you. What did he say?” she questioned.

“He cracked a joke about me picking up ice,” Sadie easily lied. “What does it matter anyways?”

“It doesn’t,” Amber told her, turning her body so her back was facing Sadie, as Sadie rolled her eyes at how immature Amber was being.