Fall Away

Reminiscing

If Kirian noticed my lack of eye contact, he didn’t care – or at least, didn’t comment. I had barely stepped outside the door before he was next to me, matching my steps as we walked down the sidewalk. “Is something wrong?”

I sighed. Why were people always observant at all the wrong times? “It’s nothing. I’m fine.”

“You don’t look fine,” Kirian replied, still matching my pace as I turned to head to my apartment.

“I am.”

He nodded, but I knew he wasn’t convinced. Still, as long as he wasn’t asking questions, I was happy.

Neither of us said anything as we walked the empty streets. After a few minutes, the total silence began to bother me. I was used to someone talking to me, even when I didn’t reply. Kirian’s quiet calm was unnerving.

“So what have you been doing?” I finally asked, desperate to break the silence.

He shrugged. “Nothing realy.”

“I take it you’re done with school?”

Nod.

“So are you working?”

He shook his head. “Not at the moment.”

I stared at him, slightly confused. How could he and Soren afford such a big house, and the cars, and God knows what else, if they didn’t work? “How do you manage that?”

Kirian shifted uncomfortably. “We have a decent amount of money saved up.”

“You’re like, twenty-four,” I cried incredulously. “How have you had time to get this money?”

He looked away, and I suddenly got the feeling I was pushing a touchy subject. “I’m sorry,” I forced myself to say. “You don’t have to-”

“We inherited a lot,” he interrupted. “When our… parents died. They left us everything.”

“Oh,” I murmured, nodding quickly while trying to think of something to say, some way to change the topic. I didn’t need this right now, didn’t want to hear about parents that remembered to acknowledge their kids or-

“It was the only thing they ever did for us,” he shrugged.

Or not.

“We weren’t really a close family. I don’t even remember them that well.”

I nodded quietly, lost in my own memories. We had been a close family – really close. And then everything had just… fallen apart.

But that was in the past. I had enough to deal with right now – I didn’t need to reminisce about anything else. It would probably just… send me over the edge.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short again - sorry.
I'm hoping for a double update today, cause... um... I'm going out of town again.
To the Boundary Waters. Which I'm not thrilled about.
But my parents over-rule me.

Anyways, there won't be a lot to do there, so I promise I'll write more and have stuff for you to read when I get back.
Thanks for putting up with this on and off stuff. I love you guys (:

Also. I'm thinking I'm going to go back and make basic chapter titles... cause mine are getting worse and worse. And the song lyrics are also failing, so I think I may take those out.
Just so people are warned if it suddenly switches.