Fall Away

What List?

I stared at the name, trying not to freak out. There was probably a logical explanation. I just had to… find Kirian, and have him explain. That would be a good start.

I turned around and started moving towards the door, determined to find him. It was a small house. He couldn’t have gone far.

“Hey Ellie.”

I jumped at Kirian’s voice, looking around to see him lounging against a door frame, arms crossed over his steps. His eyes were intent, staring at me. “Um… hey,” I finally said, recovering from my surprise. “Where have you been?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I’ve been looking for you for the past ten minutes and you were nowhere to be found.”

I couldn’t read his expression for a second before his face settled back into it’s typical calm. “I was up on the third floor, watching TV. I must not have heard you.”

“Obviously,” I muttered to myself.

We stood in awkward silence for a minute before he spoke again. “Why did you need me?”

“I was just going to tell you that dinner was ready,” I mumbled.

“Oh. Well, in that case…” He indicated the stairs. “Lead the way.”

“Why me?”

The question was out of my mouth before I could stop it. Kirian looked at me, confusion etched across his face. “Because it’s polite to let the lady go first?”

“No, no. I meant why are you and Soren friends with me? When there are so many other girls in the town that would die to hang out with you?”

He looked uncomfortable. “You’re different, Ellie.”

“Why am I different?” I pressed.

“You just are. Do we need a reason to be nice to people?”

“Does the reason have anything to do with the fact that my brother’s name is on that list in there?”

Kirian’s face paled. “What list?”

His voice was barely a whisper, and it made me laugh dryly. “Do you need me to show it to you?”

I took a few steps backwards, into the room I had just left, and pointed to the wall. “That list. Right there.”

“Your brother’s on there?”

“Don’t play dumb, Kirian,” I cried. “Daniel Moore. It’s right there!”

I pointed to his name, stark against the black wall. “You want to tell me what’s going on?”

Kirian took a few shaky steps forward, looking at the name, then back at me. He took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

“Shit.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And now I go jump on a plane :)

So some of you were right.... and others were very close.

This is for Emma - ButterflyBandage - because she told me I couldn't just leave it there.
But I'm not sure this is any better xD