Fall Away

Sick

I pushed the door to the house open as soon as Soren unlocked it. “Kirian?” I called. “Kirian?”

“Shh,” Soren interrupted. “He might be sleeping.”

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, right. I highly doubted that Kirian would be asleep. It was only 10:30, it wasn’t like he –

I stopped outside his room. It was dark inside, and I didn’t hear any noises. Maybe he really was sleeping.

Soren had followed me upstairs. He reached around me and pushed open the door, sending a stream of light into his brother’s room. Kirian was lying on the bed with the covers half thrown off him, as if he’d been sleeping restlessly.

At first glance, he looked like a typical teenager. But when I looked closer, I saw that his face was pale, much paler than normal. His cheeks were flushed, almost as if he was blushing. I took a few steps closer, tentatively reaching out to touch his cheek. I jerked my hand away, turning to stare at Soren. “He’s got a fever!’

The other boy nodded. “Among other things.”

“Like what?” I cried.

“A cough, a headache, general aches and pains,” Soren replied.

I bit my lip worriedly. "But he was fine last week! What happened?”

Soren shook his head, grabbing my arm and moving to lead me out of the room. “No,” I protested, pulling against his grip. “There’s got to be something we can do. I mean, did you-”

“I’ve done everything I can, Ellie,” he interrupted. “He’s had Tylenol and Ibuprofen and migraine medicine. It’s helped as much as it can.”

“So… wait.”

Soren shut the door behind us before turning to look at me.

“If Kirian’s just sick, why was it so important that I come over? It’s not like I’m doing much.”

Soren looked away and spoke to the wall. “Because… well… he’s sick because he’s trying to save your brother.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry!
As loverfayce said, I've been gone for 19 Mibba years. And then I come back and give you this short little update.

But... let the chaos (and probably confusion) begin. Because this is another crazy twist, that I have all handwritten, but just haven't had the time to type up. However, since today is the National Day of Writing (here in the US), I decided that was a great reason for me to motivate myself to get this out.

Hopefully, the next chapter will be out on a much more timely basis.