‹ Prequel: A Messed-Up Heart
Sequel: Amazing Almost Twins

A Mistaken Identity

The Return

Since I had been forced to wait another eighteen hours in order to alert the Jonas family as to Karleigh’s death, there really wasn’t much for me to do. I needed to Amanda and Betsy to be around when I told their husbands and in-laws about my sister’s death because they were the ones who know that I wasn’t Karleigh. They would be around for support, both for me and the boys. And, so long as I had the support of the Jonas sisters, I might be able to convince the boys, and my parents, of the fact that Karleigh was dead and that I was her twin sister. They needed to understand that, which was only going happen in I got the support I needed from the Jonas sisters. Otherwise, there was absolutely no way in hell that anyone, Nick especially, was ever going to believe that Karleigh was dead.

It had been nearly two weeks since I first found my sister’s dead body. And, for all I knew, Karleigh’s body was right where I left it. Unfortunately, there was no way that I could be sure of whether or not someone had been able to locate my sister’s body, unless I went over there. Doing something like that though was not on my agenda. I suspected that everyone at the orphanage would be looking for me, meaning that I couldn’t risk going over there. It just wasn’t going to happen when I knew that there was a chance for that to happen. There was one person at the orphanage that always seemed to care about me: Mr. Burton. He was the only person there that might care about where I was.

Since I mostly kept to myself while I was at the orphanage, the only one that really seemed to care about me and what was going on in my life while I was there at the orphanage was Mr. Burton. He was the only one that I ever associated with on a regular basis. Somehow, he always seemed to care the most about me. Usually, the orphans were too absorbed in their own lives to care about me, too obsessed with the Jonas Brothers to care about me. Plus, the fact that I was older than everyone else didn’t seem to help very much. All my friends from the orphanage left long ago, and since that occurred, I had found no replacement. As a result of that, the only person who seemed to care about me was Mr. Burton. I was sick of that. I was sick of my parents ignoring me while strangers didn’t. It wasn’t right.

During the twenty-hours that I had to wait for the newlywed couples to get back from their honeymoons, I attempted to figure out a way to convince everyone of what happened. There had to be some way for me to convince everyone that Karleigh was dead. Suddenly, I came to a realization. There was a way for me to convince my parents and the boys of what was going on. Unfortunately, it would involve me doing something that I obviously didn’t want to. But, the fact was that I had no choice. It was the only way for me to do this. To convince my family and the Jonas Brothers of who I was not, I would just have to show them Karleigh’s lifeless body to prove what was going on with her.

After figuring this out, I headed over to the Jonas home in order to meet back up with everyone. The plan was to have everyone get together at the Jonas home so that we could talk about everything that was going on: the honeymoon and my issue. I arrived at the Jonas home and we began chatting about what happened over the past two weeks. “How was the honeymoon?” Nick asked, looking to Jetsy. “How’d you spend the past few weeks?”

“The beach was amazing,” Betsy said.

“Yeah. We did a lot while we were there: scuba-diving, parasailing, wind-surfing, and so much more,” Joe said. He then turned to his older brother and Amanda. “How was Italy?”

Amanda sighed dreamily. “Italy was truly magical. We traveled throughout the entire country over the past few weeks, spending the most time in Rome and Naples.” She glanced over at Kevin for a moment before continuing her story. “Of course, my favorite night was when we took that gondola ride while we were in Venice. Nothing in the world could ever compare to that night.” That was the last thing that was mentioned about it before she and Betsy pulled me aside to speak with me about something. I had to clue what it could possibly be though. “Kimber,” Amanda said quietly, “I’m afraid that you can’t tell the boys about Karleigh’s death quite yet. It must be kept quiet for just a little bit longer.”

“What?” I exclaimed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any guess as to the reason for this?

Comment and subscribe.