‹ Prequel: A Messed-Up Heart
Sequel: Amazing Almost Twins

A Mistaken Identity

Keep It Secret

I couldn’t understand why Amanda wanted me to continue to keep Karleigh’s death a secret. After all, the only thing that had been able to keep me going the past two weeks was the fact that I would be able to tell everyone of my sister’s death. Then, I’d be able to get away from the stupidest band in the world. However, with what Amanda just told me, it seemed as if I would be unable to alert everyone as to the fact that Karleigh was dead and had been for the past two weeks. Evidently, I was going to be around in the Jonas family’s life longer than I expected. “Explain,” I insisted. “Tell me why I must hold off on telling the boy band I hate and the family that ignores me about the fact that my twin sister is dead on the side of the road. Tell me because I need to understand what’s going through your heads.”

“Because,” Betsy said. “We have a possible situation that must be dealt with, something that you need to help us with. Unfortunately, should you leave though, there is no way for us to deal with the events that are currently starting to unfold for the both of us.”

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“We’ll fill you in on the details later. Right now, it’s not really that important for you to know about what’s been going on,” Amanda explained. “But, it might interest you to know that I intend on flying out to New York just before Thanksgiving for a few days. Not only do I have to go speak with my agent about a few things concerning my next book, but I also have an appointment with my neurologist to go to, namely an appointment with your uncle.”

“My uncle?” I asked.

Amanda nodded. “It’s been a few months since I was out there and I need a new order for my prescription. So, rather than attending one of the boys’ concerts as we normally do, Betsy and I will be going to New York. And, you need to be with us, Kimber.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Because this is your uncle we’re talking about,” Amanda replied. “I would have though that you might want to see your uncle. After all, you’ve never even laid eyes on you uncle, not when considering the fact that you had no clue that your uncle existed at all.”

I sighed and inquired the sisters about what was on my mind, something that didn’t seem to make any sense. “Why is it that you even go to New York for that type of thing?” I wondered. “I mean, there are plenty of good doctors out here in California for you to see.”

“Mainly, it’s because of Karleigh,” Amanda said.

“What do you mean?” I wondered.

“Betsy, you want to take this?” Amanda asked.

“Sure, why not? After all, I know this story better than anyone. Plus, you were in that coma when we first found out what had been going on. You wouldn’t know,” Betsy said to her older sister before turning to me. “A few years ago, Amanda decided that she was going to leave California for awhile. This was a point where Allison was dating Kevin, and would do anything she could to keep my sister away. Well, finally, Amanda had enough and headed out to New York for awhile. She was trying to get God Save the World published and New York was the best place for that. Unfortunately, Amanda hadn’t been taking her medication and, when the boys and I found her two weeks later, she had a seizure and went into a coma. At the hospital, she was treated by one Dr. Vance Fox, who we soon learned was yours and Karleigh’s paternal uncle. Karleigh had showed up at the hospital a few days later and realized that Nick was at the hospital, the boy she met while he was heading over to the hospital with Joe in order to meet up with me and Kevin.”

“I guess that makes sense,” I said.

“Oh, but there’s more,” the girls said.

“In what way?” I asked.

“Well, when Dr. Fox discovered that his niece had become friends with Nick Jonas, and that he was also friends with the patient that was just admitted, something happened. Karleigh becoming friends with Nick ultimately allowed a rare thing to occur. The friendship allowed your uncle to become Amanda’s neurologist. So long as we remained friends with Karleigh, your uncle would continue doing this favor in seeing Amanda. Technically, your uncle isn’t even covered under our insurance, so it was done as a favor to Karleigh.”

“Meaning what?” I asked.

It means that you need to come out to New York with us,” Amanda explained. “Karleigh’s dead, so you’re the only one that can help us. You’re his niece as well. And, I know that you’re not too fond of the Jonas Brothers, but we really need your help. This is your uncle we’re talking about, and I have a feeling that your uncle is going to recognize the fact that you’re not Karleigh. Then you’ll be able to see your uncle because of what she did.”

I nodded. “Fine. I won’t mention the fact that Karleigh is dead to the boys or my parents. Of course, it can only be kept a secret for so long. Karleigh’s funeral must be held in a timely manner, and we’ve already wasted so much time with your guys being away on your honeymoons. The longer you ask me to hide this, the angrier Nick is going to be when he discovers that I’ve been impersonating my twin sister, his girlfriend. He will find out eventually and I’ll be in trouble for it.” There was absolutely no way in hell that I was about to risk having that happen. This needed to end. I needed to get out of this life, get away from the Jonas family. Unlike my sister, I was not a fan of the Jonas Brothers. So, being around them was pointless. I needed to leave; I needed to get back to my initial plan of trying to get to know my parents. That was the only reason I was even here anyway, and the minute I did that, I would be out of Los Angeles, out of California forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.