‹ Prequel: A Messed-Up Heart
Sequel: Amazing Almost Twins

A Mistaken Identity

A Fox

Because of my status as the eldest orphan here, I was always able to stay up later than the others. This proved to be a good thing as it afforded me the opportunity to sneak into Mr. Burton’s office so as to look for any information regarding my parents and their whereabouts. There was a slight possibility that I could find information on my parents and why I was given up. I sighed and, after checking to see if Mr. Burton was in his office—which he wasn’t—I snuck in, beginning to search for the file on me, the file that contained my birth certificate. That seemed to be the only possible way for me to figure out who my parents were and where they might have been living for the past seventeen years.

Ruffling through the files on each of the remaining orphans, I finally was able to locate the file on me. It wasin the back, with files having been arranged by age. That bothered me. I sighed and opened the file. Most of the information though, I was already aware of: my every adoption rejection, how I got along with the other orphans, and my chances of getting adopted. When I came to a copy of my birth certificate, that was where the new information began to build; my parents names were on there: Harold and Rachel Fox. I rolled my eyes. I remembered hearing some of the orphans mention someone with the last name of Fox. Of course, since the conversation had also involved the Jonas Brothers, I never cared to listen to what it involved. After learning that my last name would have been Fox if I had stayed with my parents, I suppose that, in retrospect, I should have listened to them when considering the fact that my last name would have been Fox.

It was possible that whoever it was that the orphans had been talking about was a relative of mine. However, I really couldn’t know if this was truly the case unless I went to find out. Since there was absolutely no chance of me getting adopted anyway, I knew that the only thing I could possibly do was to go out and find my parents and start questioning them about why I was left at an orphanage when I was nothing more than a two days-old. Harold and Rachel Fox had a lot to answer for, and I was not about to let my parents’ actions slide, abandoning me like that. After what I had dealt with for the past seventeen and a half years, something like that just wasn’t allowed to happen. I wouldn’t let it.

Knowing that I had to find them, that I had to know who they were and where they were hiding for my whole life, I turned Mr. Burton’s computer on and searched for any mention of the names Harold and Rachel Fox. While I was doing that, I found a site that enabled a person to find the address of anyone that wanted based on their last known location. I did so and was able to find where my parents were; they were living in Los Angeles, about forty minutes from the orphanage, at least by car. Walking though, I wasn’t sure about, which was not a good thing since that would be the method of transportation that I would be using to get over there. I was going to go find my parents; I was going to go find my parents and confront them about what they did and how their actions affected me and my outlook on life. They abandoned me at such a young age and left me alone in the world. I had no one I could really turn to and I needed to understand why.

For a time, I just sat around staring at the computer screen, unable to do anything but look at the address that was before me. Of course, when I heard footsteps coming towards the office, I quickly took action by printing out the address. Once I did so, I stuck the paper in my file and snuck out of Mr. Burton’s office with the file hidden under my shirt. No matter what happened, I was going to go out and find my parents. I’d leave tomorrow and be in Los Angeles early on Halloween which was about thirty-six hours from now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.