‹ Prequel: A Messed-Up Heart
Sequel: Amazing Almost Twins

A Mistaken Identity

Confrontation

For the most part, I attempted to keep to myself, wanting to stay away from the Jonas family as much as I possibly could. No matter how hard Karleigh tried to force me to do so, I was not about to fall for Nick. I refused. Unfortunately, staying away from the Jonas family seemed to be quite impossible for me to do. Betsy and Amanda always seemed to make sure that I was around them or Nick. And, though they claimed it to be in an attempt to ensure that no one mentioned what was going on, I suspected that it had something to do with Karleigh. My sister’s ghostly existence was causing this and I knew it.

No one was aware of the fact that I was able to communicate with my sister’s ghost. Despite the fact that Joe and the girls were aware of who I really was, I came to the conclusion that I was not going to tell anyone about Karleigh’s ghost appearing before me. It was best that that be kept to myself, have it be my own little secret. For as long as I was around the Jonas Brothers, my sister’s ghost was to remain my own little secret for right now.

This continued up through March, my eighteenth birthday to be precise. On March 14th, a day before my eighteenth birthday, I came to the conclusion that it was time for me to go out an speak with my uncle, the uncle I never knew that I was living with: Uncle Alabaster. Initially, Joe was going to accompany me out there, but that never happened. It just wasn’t an option because, in an attempt to get me to fall for Nick—an act my sister had to have influenced, Joe was called away. He and Kevin were asked to accompany their wives to New York for their next appointment with my aunt. So, while everyone else was in New York, this left Nick with me. He would have to be the one to accompany me out to the orphanage I grew up in, the orphanage I never wanted to return to.

“Why are we going here?” Nick asked

“I need to go see my uncle,” I said.

“Your uncle?” he asked.

I nodded. “Yeah. Apparently, my parents hid the location of my uncle from me for seventeen and a half long years. I was able to figure out where a few months ago, but I never got the chance to go see him. Now’s my chance. I need to go do this before my eighteenth birthday. And, I was going to have Joe join me for support, but he needs to go with his wife to see my aunt. Therefore, I’m going to need you to be here with me when I do this.”

“Oh,” Nick said.

It didn’t take us too long to get back to the orphanage I grew up in. Seeing this place again was really weird. I never wanted to come back. Of course, here I was to confront my uncle. I sighed and, just before going in, I turned to Nick. It was time for me to lie to Nick about what was going on in order to hide my identity from him and keep the secret that my sister, Betsy, and Amanda wanted hidden. “I think that it would probably be best if you kept the orphans busy. My guess is that most of the orphans are teen girls, meaning that they must be Jonas Brothers fans. They’ll be fascinated with you being within feet of them. That should give me the opportunity to go speak with my uncle about what’s been going on. I’m pretty sure that he will be the one person with the answers I seek.”

“Sure,” Nick replied.

“Thanks, I said, quickly and quietly opening the door, pointing Nick in the direction of where I assumed the orphans to be. They were probably listening to a Jonas Brothers CD. It really wouldn’t surprise me if they did. Upon doing so, I went to see my uncle. He was in his office, so I went in. “You have a lot of explaining to do!” I yelled at him.

“Kimberleigh!” he exclaimed.

“Don’t you Kimberleigh me after what you did. How come you never mentioned to me the fact that you’re my uncle? I was here for seventeen and a half years and not once did you ever tell me who you really were,” I said in a huff. “Well, I guess now I know the real reason that I was never adopted; you wouldn’t let anyone who wasn’t my family adopt me.”

“That’s right,” he said. “And, I was very nearly able to get you out of here. The day you disappeared, someone was supposed to come get you. No one showed up. I never understood why.”

I groaned and rolled my eyes. Since I was the one who found her body and then hid it again, I was the only one who knew what was going on. I was just going to have to tell him about Karleigh’s death. “You want to know why? Fine. I’ll tell you why. It’s because Karleigh died. Before the twin sister I knew I had was able to get here, she was ambushed by two of her ex-friends. They killed her in an attempt to stop a wedding. Fortunately, I was able to find Karleigh before anyone discovered the fact that my sister died. Ever since that day, I’ve been busy impersonating my sister in order to help her friends.”

“So, your parents don’t know?” he asked.

“Know what? Know that one of their daughters is lying dead on the side of the road and that the other is currently impersonating the other? Of course not. After abandoning me the way that they did, there is absolutely no way in hell that I am about to tell them about who I really am. I can’t anyway. Until the end of July, I’m not allowed to do so.”

“But, you need to tell them,” he insisted.

“Oh, and why should I?” I asked.

“How about because they’re the only ones who know about what’s really been going on? I certainly don’t. Hell, my own sister doesn’t even know about the fact that you’re here. Rachel and I lost touch with each other a long time ago when I left home at age fifteen. Rachel was eleven when that occurred and I haven’t seen her since. Then, when you somehow showed up on the doorstep to the orphanage, I recognized the same light blue eyes that my younger sister had. A DNA test soon confirmed what I suspected: you were my niece. Unfortunately, any contact to my sister in order to tell her what was going on and find out why you ended up here never went through. Only they know what happened. Only they are aware of why you were brought out here to me in the first place,” he said.

I groaned. “Like I really care. All I know is that my parents have not spent more than a minute around me, even if I am impersonating my twin sister. So, if you don’t mind, I really don’t want to hear any more of this. In fact, I’m out of here. Completely. I am never coming back here. I hate this place, and I always will. So, I’m out of here. Goodbye.”

With that, I left my uncle’s office, pulling Nick out of there with me. “What was that about?” he asked as we headed out of the orphanage and headed back out to Los Angeles.

“Don’t ask,” I intoned. “Don’t ask.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subcribe.