‹ Prequel: A Messed-Up Heart
Sequel: Amazing Almost Twins

A Mistaken Identity

Fall for Him

When I heard my twin sister mention such a terrible and horrendous thing, my jaw dropped. There was absolutely no way in hell that I was going to continue impersonating my twin sister forever. I couldn’t, and wouldn’t do that, not in a million years. “No way, Karleigh! I am not going to keep this secret longer than the end of July. I never agreed to do any of that. Hell, the only reason I even came to Los Angeles was to find my family: find you, Mom, and Dad. Of course, with you dead, and Mom and Dad ignoring the only daughter they have left, I know I can’t stay here. Now that I’m eighteen, I can go out and start my own family, away from the oblivious parents and the band you know I despise so much.

“Kimber, no!” Karleigh exclaimed.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Because,” Karleigh replied, “if there was only one time that this should have been revealed, it would have had to occurred immediately following Jetsy’s and Kevanda’s return from the Bahamas and Italy respectively. Kimber, it’s too late for you to tell Mom, Dad, and especially Nick about what’s really been going on. They can’t know that I died. I know there may not be a statute of limitations on murder, but the fact of the matter is that the funeral should have been held right after the honeymoons ended. Allison and Zora should have been charged with murder, despite the mitigating circumstances surrounding that which occurred. Now, merely because you didn’t tell anyone about what happened to me, there’s really no telling as to what might occur as a result.”

I warily eyed the ethereal presence standing before me that was my twin sister’s ghost. “And, who do you intend on blaming all of this on?” I asked. “Certainly not me, I hope.”

“Allison and Zora,” Karleigh said almost obviously. “They’re the ones that had me killed in the first place. With a little help from Amanda and Betsy, you were able to figure that out. Now, the only problem we have is convincing people of what happened; our evidence I purely circumstantial since no one exactly saw what happened. You got there afterwards and found my body.” She laughed. “Although, I guess you could say that I helped you find my body in the first place; there was a dim light above my body, remember? Well, I was the one who did that; I was trying to get you to find the body and realize the truth.”

“You did that?” I asked.

Karleigh nodded. “You’re my twin. I had to.”

“Yeah, but keeping your death a secret for all of eternity? I just don’t know if I can do that. Very few people even know about the fact that you’re dead and that I’ve been impersonating you since the end of October. It’s sickening, Karleigh, to know that, to know that only six people in the world are aware of the fact that any of this happened at all. Everyone else thinks that I’m you. The fact that no one knew about us being twins kept the truth from being revealed to the world. None of that is even remotely right for us to be doing. And, might I remind you that it’s not fair to Nick with what we’ve been doing. Karleigh, he needs to know really happened to his girlfriend, and not get lied to. With as long as you were dating Nick, lying to him about it just doesn’t seem right for us to be doing,” I said.

Karleigh laughed. “You’re falling for Nick!”

“No, I’m not,” I insisted.

“Sure you’re not,” Karleigh said. “Look, Kimber, it’s inevitable for you to be falling for Nick. I mean, not only are you my twin, but Nick has this sort of charm to him, one that I fell for. The same thing was bound to happen to you as well. Just learn to accept that.”

“Yeah, whatever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.