Take Me With You

She had dreamed of day he took her away with the fairies. She tried catching every shadow, hoping it was his; she laughed at every glimmer of dust, hoping it was her; she wished she was Wendy.
Katie stood at her window, watching the stars. Planes flew overhead, making the sky rumble with fear, but she did not notice. She was too busy looking.

Waiting.

Wishing.

A knock at the door brought Katie back to Earth. “Katie, it’s time for your medication” a nurse murmured through the wooden door. Locks and bolts covered the doorway, as Katie could not trust anybody. Someone had already tried to take her life, and she would not take anymore chances. “Katie, open the door!” the nurse urgently yelled. Katie slowly walked to the door, checking the peephole to make sure it was the nurse. As she slowly opened the door, the nurse burst in with her trolley of prescription drugs. “Katie, it’s time for bed after this. No reading, no watching the stars. Just sleep. And only sleep, until tomorrow. Am I clear? You will get up at the same time as every other teenager in this place; 8 a.m. No excuses. I’m sick of your crap.” The nurse gave Katie her meds, then left with a bang. Katie stood in the middle of the room, staring at the closed door. If only Peter would take her away with Wendy…