Take Me With You

Chapter One: The Second Star to the Right

My name is Katie. I’m fifteen years old, and I’m stuck in Thousand Oaks Psych Hospital, somewhere far away from home. Apparently I’m a schizophrenic, but I find what I see completely normal.

I feel isolated. I know that were I normal, I would be gossiping with my best friends about how hot Edward Cullen is, and watching endless movies, and going shopping every weekend.

But I’m not normal.

I disappointed my parents so much, that they couldn’t handle a freak as a daughter, and dumped in the furthermost Loony Bin from them, so they wouldn’t have to deal with me. That’s okay; I still have hope on my side. And Peter.

Some days I wish I were normal, so I could have grown up in my own house, with my own siblings and parents, and had an experience of what people call ‘the best life’. But other days, I’m the happiest person alive. I imagine Peter comes and takes me away, to where dreams come true; lies are never told; the place I could call home and never be scared again. He and all the boys that are lost could be my new family, and we would take care of each other the same way fairy tales tell us. Maybe Wendy could visit from London, and her brothers too, and we could all make up stories to share with each other. But maybe they’ll hate me, and I’ll be sent back here. Stuck with the too-clean hospital smell, the plastic-tasting food and the bleached-white walls. And other sick teenagers my age.

I slowly walk back to the window, to try and find the second star to the right. A glimmer before me catches my eyes, and I look closer. A small fairy is perched on my windowsill, peering at me through the glass. I rub my eyes, to make sure Tinkerbell is really out there. Still sparkling in the dim light she sits, waving slightly. I rush my arms upwards to unlock my window, to get Tink out of the frosty evening. She flutters her wings, and gracefully floats around my room, bringing light to the posters, the crappy nick-knacks and the piles of books. The top one stands out, and she lands on top of it, glancing at the illustration of herself on the front cover. A chuckle from the window makes us both turn around with a fright. And there he stands. My hero.

“Peter?” I whisper.

“Yes, I am Peter-Pan. Katie, can I make you a promise?” He asks. “How did you..?” “Katie, I know everybody’s name. It’s my job”. I glance at Tink, who nods her tiny head wildly. “What do you wish to promise?”

he looks around to make sure no one is watching. “Can I take you somewhere a little more private? Don’t worry, they’re not going to check on you tonight.” Of course, I already knew this. They think I’m capable of putting myself to bed now, so no one ever does check up on me.

“Um, where?” I ask, still nervous.

“The place where dreams come true; Home, for the Lost Boys, for me, for Tink and all the fairies that inhabit the Home Tree, for Mother Dove. The place where no evil can be created, not since Hook died.”

I wait patiently for the next part.

“Katie, will you come to Neverland with me?”