The Other People

Butterfly Kisses

"Ow. Hey, Shin. My God. I miss you. How are you? I want to see you again. How have you been?"

"I miss you, also. I've been okay. I wish we could be together."

"So do I."

"How's the tour?"

"It's going really good. Tonight's the kick-off show for this leg. I wish I could see you."

"I know, mein liebe. I want to be able to hold you."

"Mein liebe?"

"My love."

"Ah. I love you. How do you say that in German?"

"Ich liebe dich." I repeated it. "Yes. And I love you, too."

"Rache."

"Hang on, Shin. What, Brett?"

He smiled meaningfully. "Come on. Food."

"Oh, okay. Hey, babe. I'll call you back later, okay?"

"Sure."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

As soon as I hung up, Matt said, "Go ahead."

I pushed open the door and grinned at Erin's face. "Guten tag, mein liebe."

"Shin's in his room, most likely. That's where he always is when we're home."

"Thanks, Yu. I appreciate you driving me all the way over here."

"Maybe you can make him quit being an emotional wreck. Then we'll be even."

"I'll try."

He leaned over and kissed my cheek. "You can do it, sweetie. He loves you."

"And I love him."

"Go."

I clutched the key Yu'd given me and hurried up the sidewalk. With a soft click, the front door unlocked and swung open. The light from the kitchen spilled over onto the living room floor and disappeared down the hallway. No sound met my ears except for cars passing outside. I headed toward the dark hall and looked in the first room - the bathroom. The next door was shut; I quietly opened it. There he was, lying on the bed; the blankets had slid off him as he slept. I grinned and gently shook him.

"Shin, baby, wake up."

He stirred. "Rachel?"