Status: I'm writing the next chapter now.

Dance With Me In the Pouring Rain

zero

It was raining. No, that isn’t the right word. It was bloody pissing it down. I sighed and pulled up my hood. Rain or no rain, I was still going to run. I needed to get all this anger out of my system before I hurt somebody. Or myself.

Plugging in my earphones to drown out the relentless rain, I started to run. As my trainers slapped on the pavement and the blood pounded in my ears, I felt the familiar rush of exhilaration which left no room for anything else. This was why I ran. For the pure, simple euphoria. Other people do drugs. I run. Nothing beats a natural high, I thought with a humourless smile.

The park's trees blurred into a murky green mess as I passed them by, effortlessly notching up my pace. Mr. Chapman, my P.E. teacher, said I could run in the Olympics if I applied myself. I snorted. Yeah. Like that would ever happen.

I slowed down and came to a stop by the fountain, bending over to catch my breath. This area was usually flooded with people, but given the weather, it was deserted.
I frowned. That wasn't strictly true. There was a figure sitting on one of the benches, their head raised to the sky, as if in adulation. As I watched, they got to their feet and started to spin around.

My breath caught in my throat. Now, I could see that the figure was a girl, and a very beautiful one at that. Her shoulder-length dark hair was plastered to her head. She was smiling, her eyes closed as she twirled, with the effortless grace of a dancer. She was wearing a red hoodie that hung off her wiry frame and bright red skinny jeans that clung to her equally skinny legs. The rain poured down her innocent face, soaking her to the skin. She must be crazy, I decided.

I had never seen her before, that much I was sure of. I would have remembered her. But somehow, I couldn't take my eyes off her.

The rain petered out to a drizzle. Finally ceasing her crazy dancing, the girl pulled up her hood and started to walk away. Breaking out of my trance, I turned and resumed my run. I was never going to see her again, I reasoned. Time to get back to reality.

How wrong I was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so this is like a prologue, which is why it’s kind of short. Hopefully, other chapters will be a lot longer. Comments would be appreciated!