Status: I'm writing the next chapter now.

Dance With Me In the Pouring Rain

nine; believe me there was truth in all those stories that I told

I jumped off the bus, catching sight of the road sign: Alderstone Road. Ally's road. I clearly remembered her telling me she lived at number thirty-three. It was kind of a long-shot, but I was hoping Ally would be in so I could ask her where Tory lived.

I hurried up to her house, looking up at it as I approached. A curtain swished at the window and I could've sworn I saw Tory's face. My spirits lifted; it seemed luck was in my favour for a change.

I pressed the doorbell, tapping my foot impatiently. Seconds later, the door swung open and Ally was hovering by the door, a guarded expression on her face.

"Hi Fletch," she said casually. "What're you doing here?"

"I want to see Tory," I replied bluntly. "I know she's here."

Ally bit her lip nervously, only confirming my suspicions. "She doesn't want to see you."

"But I don't get it," I said, frustrated. "What have I done?"

"Nothing, Fletch," she sighed, running a hand through her hair. She stepped out and shut the front door behind her. "Look, Tory's not going to tell you this, she's too proud. But you ought to know."

I nodded curiously, motioning for her to continue.

"As you know, Tory hasn't had a great track record with guys. To put it bluntly, every last dirty rotten douchebag has broken her heart into tiny little pieces. And she's the last person on this earth who deserves that.

"Her problem is that she loves too much. She will put everything she has into a relationship because that's just who she is. She is the kindest, most caring and most selfless person I know. Of course, she'd never admit it. She's insecure, and who could blame her? Guys treat her like shit, make her feel like shit," Ally said fiercely.

"Every time her heart gets broken, I see the light go out of her eyes. She tries to hide it with a smile, tries to keep it together so we won't worry about her, but it's damn hard for her. The worst thing about it is that she doesn't deserve it.

"That's why she's pushing you away," she explained. "She likes you, and she’s scared of getting hurt again."

I nodded, weighed down by my newfound understanding. "Whoa. No wonder she's so moody all of a sudden. I thought it was PMS."

Ally smiled, rolling her eyes. “PMS doesn’t explain everything, you know.” She hesitated. "I like you, Fletch. You seem like a really great guy. But then, so did the others."

"I would never hurt her," I whispered fiercely.

"You know what? I believe you." She bit her lip, and then sighed. "To hell with it. Come in."

A smile lit up my face as I followed her inside. She led me up to her room and deposited me inside, mouthing "good luck". Tory was standing by the window, her back to me.

"Has he gone yet?" she asked without turning round.

"No, I haven't," I replied quietly.

She spun round, shocked. "Fletch?" Her face screwed up into a frown, but she didn't look any less beautiful. "I don't want to see you."

"Ally told me," I said simply.

She crumpled onto the bed, her head in her hands. "She had no right."

"She told me that you're scared to get your heart broken again," I continued, undeterred.

Her body visibly stiffened, but she stayed silent. I walked over to her and sat next to her on the bed. I reached out to put my arm round her but she flinched and drew away.

"Why don't you go back to your girlfriend?" she spat.

I frowned with confusion. "Girlfriend? I don't have a girlfriend."

"That blonde girl at the ice rink," she stated, her voice laced with venom.

My eyes widened with realisation. "You mean Kara? She's not my girlfriend."

Tory's head lifted, her eyes hopeful. "She isn't?" But then her head dropped again. "You would say that, wouldn't you?"

"She's not my girlfriend," I said patiently, "because she's going out with my friend David."

Her eyes widened with realisation and she groaned, burying her head in her knees. "I've been a right twat, haven't I? I am such an idiot. A stupid, dense, idiotic, daft-"

"I'm going to stop you before you needlessly insult yourself further," I chuckled.

She lifted her head to look at me and bit her lip. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I replied, nudging her gently. "Were you jealous?"

"No," she muttered, in a way that implied the exact opposite.

"Aw, you were!" I crowed, secretly pleased.

"Shut up," she muttered, her face reddening with embarrassment. "So you haven't got a girlfriend, then?"

I shook my head. "Not at the moment, no. I haven't had a proper serious relationship before."

"Why not?" she asked curiously.

I shrugged. "Haven't met the right person yet, I suppose."

"Well, you must know all about my romantic history, since Ally blabbed it to you," Tory muttered, looking murderous.

"She didn't give any intimate details," I replied.

"Thank God," she mumbled.

"What I don't get is how anyone could break your heart," I said softly. "I mean, just look at you."

"Yeah, look at me," she replied, her voice oozing sarcasm. "I can't see how anyone could do that to me. I mean, I'm just bloody perfect."

"Yeah, you are," I whispered.

She looked away. "Yeah, well. Thanks for trying to cheer me up, but you don't have to lie."

I narrowed my eyes. "Why is it so hard for you to believe that?"

She laughed, but it was devoid of any humour. "Maybe because I am the least perfect person you could meet."

"Okay, so maybe you're not perfect. No one is," I reasoned. "But you're pretty damn close."

"Thanks," she said quietly. "I'm sorry I'm in such a mood. It's just... I get so depressed sometimes. It's so hard because everyone expects me to be bouncy and happy and perky. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be happy all the time?"

I got the feeling it was a rhetorical question, so I stayed silent.

"I'm sorry," she whispered again. "I'm pathetic, I really am."

“No you’re not,” I said firmly. I pulled her towards me and hugged her tightly. She clung to me, her head nestling under my chin. I don't know how long we stayed like that, moulded together.

"Frankie was the first," Tory said eventually, pulling away. "We were eleven. I thought we'd be together forever, like you do when you’re that young. By the time we got to secondary school, he'd moved on. Apparently, I wasn't cool enough.

"There were others. There was one when I was in Year Eight. Damon. I found him snogging another girl in my class. Then Sean. He turned out to be gay." Tory grimaced. "Danny warned me.

"But the worst was Rob. He was in Year Eleven. We went out at the start of the year. He kept pushing me to sleep with him. I wouldn't. I wasn't ready. Eventually, he snapped. Said that if he wasn't going to get laid, there was no point in us going out," she stated simply, though I could hear the barely-veiled pain in her voice. "He said I was fat, ugly and a waste of space. And then I found out he was also cheating on me."

I drew in a breath sharply. "The insensitive, arrogant, pus-filled wart!”

Tory chuckled hollowly. "Wow. You're even better than Ally. We had a great time coming up with rude and colourful names for him."

"He didn't deserve you, Tor. None of them did," I said softly. She made a noise like she didn't quite believe me.

I tilted her chin up to face me. Her face was inches from mine. I was so close I could see the dewy tears glistening on her eyelashes. I could hardly breathe as I leant forward, narrowing the distance between us-

“Sorry to interrupt,” Ally apologised as she barged in, causing us to jump apart as if scalded. “My mum wants to know if either of you need anything.”

I forced a smile, trying not to think about what I'd almost done. “I’m okay. Thanks.”

“I’m good,” Tory whispered, avoiding my eyes.

I wondered if she was happy that Ally interrupted us before anything could happen, or if she had actually wanted to kiss me too. The former, I decided with more than a touch of regret.

“I should go,” I said awkwardly, getting to my feet. “I’ll see you around, Tory.”

She gave me a small smile as I shuffled out. “Bye.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I got home, the house was mercifully empty. I hadn’t a clue where Dad was, nor did I particularly care. I headed straight for the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. Despite what I'd said to Ally, I was ravenous.

After that, I retreated to my bedroom and plugged my iPod through the speakers. The best part about being home alone is being able to play music as loud as you want without people complaining.

As I turned away from the speakers, I caught sight of the sketchbook where I had left it on the desk. Before I knew what I was doing, I'd picked it up and was flicking through it. My stomach tightened as I passed the familiar pictures I had drawn so long ago. Moving on, I thought quickly, flicking past them.

Sitting behind the desk, I rooted around for a pencil and opened the sketchbook at a clean page. My hand traced gently over the page, tentatively sketching the outline of a figure. As my confidence grew, it began to take shape as a basic, blank person. I added shoulder-length hair and thinned the legs and arms. I drew on skinny jeans, a graphic t-shirt and converses. Finally, I returned to the face. This was always the hardest part. I drew the almond-shaped eyes, shading in the different colours I remembered. They were uneven, so I rubbed them out and tried again. I drew a smiling mouth, ever so slightly crooked. I added a smattering of light freckles across her nose and cheeks, and shaded them lightly.

Eventually, when I was satisfied as I could be with it, I put the pencil down and appraised it critically. Instantly, I was reminded of the Pon and Zi picture : no matter how hard I try, I can’t make drawings of you pretty enough.

I smiled grimly, wanting to tear it out and rip it into a thousand million tiny shreds. But somehow, I couldn’t. something stopped me.

So instead, I shut the sketchbook and replaced it on the shelf.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13/6/09, 19:36

OK, Time for Plan B has logged on

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Hey Fletch :D

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Hi Tory

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Charming. Now I know exactly what you think of me.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
*rolls eyes* you are such a drama queen. So, what you doing?

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Oh, nothing much. Just the usual. Listening to music… chatting on MSN… consuming an inordinate amount of smarties all in one go…

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Ah, that explains it. You’re hyper, aren’t you?

OK, Time for Plan B says:
I am not hyper. I am merely high on life.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Of course you are. Remember, there’s nothing like a natural high.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Smarties are not natural. They’re full of unnatural things. Like squirrels. And coconuts. And fluorescent orange fringed Ugg boots :D

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Okay, I’m more than slightly worried about you now. Maybe you should cut down on the E-numbers.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
You are just jealous because I can act like a complete idiot in public and people still love me :p

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Okay, now you’re quoting random avatars. This has to stop.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Okay, okay. Ooh, btw, I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go out tomorrow.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Go out? Tomorrow? Surely not. That’s way too normal for you.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Do you want me to hit you?

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
You can’t hit me over the internet.

OK, Time for Plan B has nudged you

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Oi!

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Lol. You’re so easy to wind up. So do you want to come or not? I feel like going out and everyone else is busy.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Wow, I feel so loved.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Sarcasm is the language of the devil.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
ARE YOU COMING OR NOT??????????????????? I WILL VIRTUALLY HIT YOU AND KICK YOU AND PUNCH YOU AND RIP OFF YOUR HEAD AND FEED IT TO THE PIRANHAS IN MY BEDROOM IF YOU DO NOT ANSWER THIS MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
You have piranhas in your bedroom? Cool.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
And you say I’m easy to wind up. Sure, I’ll come. When and where do you want to meet?

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Costa Coffee in town at, say, eleven o'clock? Will your majesty be up by then?

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
One should have awoken by that time, yes.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
*glares*

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Have you stopped eating those smarties yet?

OK, Time for Plan B says:
YES I HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP NAGGING ME!!!!!!!!

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Doesn’t sound like it.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Okay, that’s it. I’m logging off right now.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
You do that.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
I will.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Go on then.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Oh, to hell with it. It’s fun talking to you.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Now I feel loved :)

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Some people are so easily pleased. Oh well. I have to go anyway. The mother figure is calling me for dinner.

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Bye Tory.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Au revoir mon ami! Adios mi amigo! Auf Wiedersehen mein Freund!

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Okay, bye.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Toodle pip!

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
You are so weird.

OK, Time for Plan B says:
Really? What was your first clue?

Don’t be humble. You’re not that great says:
Okay, seriously now, goodbye and goodnight.

OK, Time for Plan B has logged off
♠ ♠ ♠
I <3 smarties. Small, round blobs of chocolaty goodness :)