Status: I'm writing the next chapter now.

Dance With Me In the Pouring Rain

fourteen; it may not seem like very much but I'm yours

I assessed my appearance in the mirror critically, feeling, once more, like a complete girl. I was wearing a red and black checked top and a pair of black skinny jeans with red converse. I'd brushed my hair and put gel in it so part of my fringe stuck up. I'd even had a shave.

"My God, Fletch," I muttered to myself, "she's just a girl."

Except she wasn't just a girl. She was the girl who made me smile every time I looked at her. She was the girl who made me laugh more than anything in the world. She was the girl I was completely, irrefutably, head-over-heels in love with.

I sighed. "I'm pathetic, I really am. I'm even talking to my reflection."

I strode downstairs, picking up the bouquet of red lilies I had bought for Tory. She didn't seem like the type to appreciate cheesy, clichéd gestures, and I remembered her saying she loved lilies. I popped them carefully in the plastic carrier bag with the other stuff, checking they were secure, before grabbing my keys and heading out.

I could’ve run to Tory’s house, but I didn’t want to get sweaty. That would have been gross, and I was sure girls weren’t that keen on sweaty guys. So, I did the only thing I could do:

I called up Hassan’s brother and asked him for a lift. Amir was eighteen and just passed his driving test, but unlike other eighteen-year-olds, he was a pretty cautious driver. He was a great guy, too. Hassan looked up to him, but then so did the rest of us.

“A lift, you say,” Amir had mused. “To where?”

“My girlfriend’s house,” I had mumbled. “I need you to escort us on a date.”

The amusement was clear in his voice. “What, like a chauffeur?”

“Please, Amir,” I practically begged. “It’s too far for us to walk and I don’t want to get a bus. That would be beyond sad.”

Amir laughed. “Okay, okay. But only because you’re my brother’s mate. When do you want me to pick you up?”

“Just before seven,” I replied. “Thanks for this.”

“No problem, mate.”


So when I strode out of the house, he was waiting for me, his car dawdling by the kerb.

“Nice car,” I said appreciatively, getting in. It even had leather seats. “What is it?”

What is it?” Amir was incredulous. “What kind of guy doesn’t know cars?”

I wrinkled my nose. “I’ve never really been a car person, to be honest.”

Amir muttered something in Arabic under his breath. “So, who’s the lucky lady?”

“Just this girl,” I replied, suddenly shy.

Amir rolled his eyes. “It’s okay, I got Hassan to tell me. Tory, right? Where does she live?” I told him her address and he nodded. “We’ll be there in five minutes.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’ll just be a sec,” I informed Amir, jumping out of the car.

I approached the front door and rang the bell nervously. I reached in the bag for the lily, ready to present to Tory with a flourish, but I needn’t have bothered. Her mum answered the door.

“Oh hi Fletch,” Catherine greeted me warmly. “Tory’s still getting ready but you’re welcome to come in and wait for her if you want.”

I nodded. “Thanks, Catherine.”

I turned back to where Amir was waiting and showed him my open palm, signalling for him to give me five minutes. Shutting the front door behind me, I followed Catherine into the living room and sat down on the sofa. She sat on the one opposite me, smiling at me.

“So, what’s in the bag?” Catherine asked.

I blushed a little and pulled out the bouquet of red lilies. “It’s for Tory. I thought she’d like them.”

“Oh, she’ll love them!” she exclaimed. “Here, I’ll put them in a vase for her.”

She took the bouquet and went into the kitchen. I noticed Eddie sitting at the computer, playing Fifa.

“Hey,” I greeted him, walking over to him. I nodded at the screen. “Who are you?”

“Arsenal,” he informed me. “The only team worth playing as.”

I cracked a smile. “No arguments there. You on career mode?”

He nodded, frowning. “I’m trying to buy Kaka but he’s refusing to come, no matter how much I offer.”

There was that slightly awkward pause in conversation. “So, you like video games, then?” I asked, trying to fill it.

Eddie nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah! Though I have to play them at mates’ houses because Mum hates all kinds of consoles. Except the Wii, for some reason,” he said, nodding towards it.

“Cool,” I commented. “You aren’t part of the COD4 clan are you?”

I was referring to the infamous COD4 clan in his year that lived and breathed – you guessed it – COD4. We had one in our year, but they weren’t so obsessed.

He snickered. “Nah. You?”

I shook my head. “It’s a good game, but I don’t like it that much.”

“You know,” he commented, “you’re pretty cool. What on earth are you doing going out with my sister?”

I rolled my eyes. “Come on. She’s incredible.”

Eddie mimed throwing up. “Spare me the details, please.” His eyes grew serious. “But you’re right. She is pretty special. And after all, she is my sister, no matter how much she pisses me off sometimes. So I feel it is my duty, as her brother, to warn you that if you hurt her, I will be forced to beat you senseless.”

I chuckled. “I could point out the fact that you’re three inches shorter than me.”

“I’m still taller than practically everyone in my year,” he reminded me, trying to look threatening.

I raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. “Don’t worry. I really like her. You won’t be forced to beat me up and lose your macho rep when I beat the shit out of you.”

He rolled his eyes and nodded at something behind me. “Your girlfriend’s waiting.”

I turned around, smiling. “Hey Tory. I was just talking to-”

My mouth dropped open as I caught sight of her. She was wearing black jeans, a tight red and black striped top and a black waistcoat. She wasn’t wearing much makeup, but she still looked beautiful. I coughed. “Tory. You look… great.”

She folded her arms. “Just great, eh?”

I grinned. “Yep. Just great.”

“Have fun playing chess,” Eddie called teasingly.

Tory rolled her eyes at him. “We aren’t playing chess, you retarded, dim-witted moron. You know we all know the crappy chess club geek jokes are just a smokescreen for your secret love of the game.”

Eddie raised an eyebrow. “I didn't understand any of what you just said.”

She smiled sweetly at him. “That was the general idea.” She strode over to me and grabbed my arm. “Let’s get out of here before I strangle him.”

She shut the living room door. “He is such a twat sometimes.”

“I like him,” I commented. “I like all your family.”

Tory rolled her eyes. “Can’t see why. What’ve you done to your hair, by the way?”

“Just put some gel in it,” I said casually. “Like it?”

She frowned. “Hmm. Don't know. It’s different.”

“Good different or bad different?”

“Just different,” she replied. “I like your hair better when it’s all floppy.”

“Right,” I replied, mentally cursing myself for trying too hard. “Shall we go?”

Just then, the kitchen door opened and Tory’s mum walked through.

“Have a good time,” Catherine smiled. “Don’t be back too late, and call me if you’re going to be later than midnight.”

“I will,” Tory replied, hugging her quickly. “Bye Mum.”

She practically dragged me to the front door. “So, where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise,” I informed her. I kissed her quickly, hooking my arm in hers, and walked her to the waiting car. “Our ride.”

Her mouth fell open. “Whoa. Is this yours?”

“Tory, how could it be mine?” I replied, shaking my head at her. “I’m fifteen, remember? You can’t even get a license until you’re seventeen and a half.”

“Oh yeah,” she said stupidly. “It’s beautiful. What is it?”

“No idea,” I said, opening the door for her.

She got in and slid over to the other side. “What kind of guy doesn’t know cars?” Her tone was incredulous.

“That’s exactly what I said,” Amir informed her. He put on a mock-posh voice. “Hello, my name is Amir and I will be your designated driver for this evening. This is my car, so please, treat it with respect.”

“I will,” she assured him. She turned to me, smiling. “Whoa. This is way more than I expected.”

I grinned and did up my seatbelt. “I love to be unexpected.”

“So where are we going?” she pestered.

I just looked at her. “You’re going to have to do better than that to get it out of me.”

She glared at me with mock-anger. “At least tell me what's in the bag.”

“Ah,” I said imperiously. “Now that would be telling.”

She narrowed her eyes at me. “Amir! Where are we going?”

“Sorry, Tory,” Amir said apologetically. “But for what it’s worth, I’m sure you’re going to love it.”

She huffed, folding her arms across her chest and turning away from me to face the window. “Fine.”

I shuffled over to her. “Tory? Are you mad at me?”

A smile tugged at the corners of her lips. “Yes. No. Maybe.”

“You’re so indecisive,” I muttered.

“I am not,” she retorted.

“You so are.”

“Not.”

“Are.”

“Not.”

“Are.”

“Not.”

“Are.”

“Not.”

“Are.”

“Not.”

I groaned. “What does it take to get you to shut up?”

“Funny, most people say the exact same thing,” Tory grinned.

I narrowed my eyes. Tilting her chin to face me, I leant forward and closed the distance between us with a kiss. But we didn't get very far before Ahmed cleared his throat rather loudly.

“Could you please save the making out in the back of the car until later?” he teased. “I just ate.”

Tory blushed. “We weren’t-”

Amir cut her off, grinning at her in his rear-view mirror. “Please, spare me the intimate details.”

“So where are we going?” Tory persisted.

“I told you, it’s a surprise,” I repeated. I fished in my bag and produced a blindfold. “Here. Put this on.”

Her eyes widened. “No way. You could take advantage of me!”

I looked wounded. “Tory, would I do that to you?”

“Fine,” she grumbled. “I trust you. Don’t get why there has to be all this secrecy, though.”

I grinned. “To make it all the better when we actually get there. Now hold still.”

I wrapped the blindfold around her eyes and tied it securely, my fingers lingering at the nape of her neck. Her skin was cool and soft, like newly-spun silk.

“I can’t see a damn thing with this on,” she muttered.

I had to laugh. “That is kind of the idea.”

“So how long until we get to wherever we’re going?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am strangely happy. In Word, my story is a whole 100 pages :D what a long story. And it's only gonna get longer, hopefully.