Status: I'm writing the next chapter now.

Dance With Me In the Pouring Rain

twenty three; you'll call it fate, I'll call it karma

For once, it wasn’t raining. There were a few grey clouds around threatening a downpour, but other than that it was clear skies all round. In light of the sunshine, me, Kyle and Jordan rounded up some guys and headed to the park for a game of footie. Since most people were on holiday, our numbers were much diminished, but there was no problem with playing three-a-side.

We walked through the park, past the kiddie’s playground, past the skate ramps, past the ice cream van that had taken up temporary residence, all the way to the fields. I was feeling good, and it wasn’t just because of the weather.

“Tory gets back today,” I informed the guys gleefully as we set up the goals.

Kyle groaned. “Yeah. We know. You must’ve told us at least six times already.”

“Who’s Tory, Fletch?” Damien, one of the guys, asked curiously. I hadn’t talked to him in a while, so his ignorance was excusable. “Your girlfriend?”

“As a matter of fact,” I replied, “she is.”

“Oh right,” he said teasingly. “Fit, is she?”

I snorted. “She’s bloody beautiful.”

They all laughed. “Fletch’s got it bad,” Ryan snickered.

I gave them the finger and stomped off to the other end to set up the other goalpost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was sitting talking to Jordan and Kyle after the match when soft, cool, distinctly feminine hands covered my eyes.

“Guess who,” a familiar voice teased.

Slipping out of her grasp, I whipped round, shocked. “Tory?”

Her skin was bronzed from the sun and her hair was a few shades lighter, but it was definitely her. She laughed at the look on my face. “I thought I’d surprise you. I’d say it worked.”

“Hi,” Jordan and Kyle greeted her.

She waved at them. “Hi guys. Mind if I steal him away for a bit?”

“Knock yourself out,” Kyle replied.

“Actually, don’t,” Jordan added. “But still. Go ahead.”

I rolled my eyes at their retreating backs then turned to Tory. “I got your postcard.”

“Ah yes,” she smirked. “I couldn’t resist.”

“I ran it through an online translator,” I continued, shaking my head at her. “Sounds like you had a great time.”

“Yeah, it was fantastic,” she enthused. “I got tanned! It’ll probably fade by the time school starts, though.” she grinned wickedly. “Bet it’s been raining the whole time over here.”

“Yep, until today, actually,” I informed her. “You brought the sunshine with you.”

She grinned. “It was so good, though. We did all the touristy things like The Eiffel Tower and stuff, and we went in the pool all the time, and I got tanned, and the food was amazing, and I met so many people-”

“People?” I asked warily.

“Yeah. There was this one guy, Sebastian; he was a great laugh,” Tory continued, oblivious. “He was staying in the hotel with us and we saw him practically every day. It was funny, though, because he only spoke a bit of English and I only speak a bit of French, but somehow we managed. I’ve got his email, so we’re going to keep in touch as well.”

Sebastian? I pictured a guy, taller than me, broader and well-built, with tanned skin and an effortless six pack.

“Sebastian, right,” I said through gritted teeth, unable to mask my jealousy.

She narrowed her eyes. “What?”

I laughed harshly. “You’ve got nerve. Spouting all this shit about ‘Sebastian’ or whatever.”

“Fletch, are you jealous?” she demanded, getting to her feet.

“Can you blame me?” I retorted. “You’re off on this fantastic holiday, meeting all these guys-”

“Actually, it was just Sebastian,” she cut me off coldly, folding her arms across her chest. “Am I not allowed to talk to guys at all now?”

“Talking is fine. It’s just the other stuff I’m a little bit iffy about,” I replied sarcastically.

“Don’t you trust me at all?” she demanded.

“I thought I did,” I shot back. “I guess I was wrong.”

“Fletcher, if you think I would cheat on you then you don’t know me at all,” she spat.

“Maybe I don’t,” I replied harshly. “And maybe I don’t want to.”

“Fine, if that’s what you want!” she yelled. “It’s over. Me, you, us. If there ever was an ‘us’.”

“Like I care,” I fired back before I knew what I was saying. “You can do whatever the hell you like. I really don’t care anymore.”

Hurt flashed across her face momentarily. I was sorry, then, sorry for yelling and being mad, but it was too late. Her features hardened almost instantly, and she turned away.

“Fine,” she whispered, barely audibly. “Fine.”

She stomped away, hugging herself. I wanted to call her back, to try and fix what I had broken, but my pride wouldn’t let me. Instead, I just watched her go, the sinking pit in my stomach growing with every step away from me she took, and I realised what I had just thrown away.

Just then, the heavens opened and the rain poured out of the sky. It was as if the weather was trying to make up for the brief gift of sunshine. The freezing water drove needle-sharp pinpricks into my exposed skin as it fell, showering me with its misery. A tear rolled down my cheek, lost in the rain, and I ducked my head as if to mask my shame.

My feet started moving almost of their own accord and I started to run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ended up at Kyle’s house. Water dripped off my drenched body as I stood waiting impatiently for him to open the door. I pressed the doorbell again, and this time I heard footsteps. The door swung open, and a fair-haired, brown-eyed, stocky boy appeared.

“Fletch,” Kyle said, confused. “What’re you doing here? Thought you’d be with your lovely lady.”

“We broke up,” I said briskly.

His eyes nearly popped out of his head. “What?! How?” He whistled. “You’d better come in.”

He ushered me in and we went up to his room. I sank into his bed, covering my face with his hands.

“So,” Kyle said, sitting on the floor. “Spill.”

So I did. I told him what had happened with Tory. All the stuff we did, all the stuff we said… I grimaced at the memories. Regret was starting to set in. deep, all-consuming regret.

“Fletch,” Kyle said when I finished, “you are quite possibly the stupidest person on earth. Why would you throw away a great catch like Tory?”

“I didn't mean to,” I grumbled. “I thought she’d cheated on me.”

He exhaled slowly. “One, you had no reason to suspect that other than she met a guy and got his email address.”

“They could’ve been doing anything,” I said defensively.

“Two,” he said pointedly, “why didn't you go after her?”

I looked at him stupidly. “Should I have done?”

Kyle sighed, shaking his head pitifully. “Like I said. Stupidest person on earth.”

I nibbled my lip nervously, raking a hand through my hair.

“So, if you’re not together anymore, can I have her number?” he asked casually.

I gave him a look.

“Just kidding,” he said hastily.

“I have to get her back,” I muttered.

“You could try calling her,” he suggested.

I nodded and got out my phone. Keying in her number from memory, I brought the phone to my ear.

“This is the T-Mobile voicemail service,” a cold, mechanical female voice informed me. “The person you have called is not available.”

“She’s not answering,” I informed Kyle glumly.

“Give her time to cool off,” he advised. “Try her again in the morning.”

I nodded. “I’m an idiot,” I whispered.

“Yes, Fletch,” he said bluntly, “you are.”

“Thanks,” I muttered.

“Any time,” he replied. “Want to play Halo to take your mind off it?”

I nodded, but my heart wasn’t really in it. What had I done?