Status: I'm writing the next chapter now.

Dance With Me In the Pouring Rain

twenty eight; a heavy cross you bear, a stubborn heart remains unchanged

I blinked slowly, purple walls swimming in my vision as I regained consciousness. Stifling a yawn, I looked around with bemusement at my surroundings. This was certainly not familiar.

But then it hit me. I was in Tory's house, in Tory's spare bedroom. My face darkened and I hopped out of bed, wincing at the sudden cold. I pulled on my t-shirt and trudged out the room, noticing a small, scribbled note on the bedside table as I did so.

Hey Fletch, it read, in Tory's trademark scrawl, hope you had a good night's sleep. It certainly sounded like it with all the snoring you were doing.

Just kidding. I've gone out with my mum, but I should be back at about midday – I glanced at the clock; it was about half ten – so feel free to have a breakfast and a shower and stuff. I think Eddie's still at home so ask him if you need help with anything. See you later!

Tory xxx


I smiled despite myself and headed to the bathroom. Making sure there was a towel waiting for me, I stripped and stepped into the shower, staring bemusedly at the controls. Tentatively, I turned the dial and a stream of ice-cold, needle-sharp water shot out of the shower head and onto my skin. I yelped, turning it off quickly.

I stepped back out, wrapping a towel around my midsection, and poked my head out the door. To my surprise, Eddie was standing there, barely suppressing his laughter.

"Having trouble with the shower?" he guessed, biting back a grin. I merely nodded, my face flushed. "Let me help."

He ran the hot tap at the sink for a few seconds, then switched it off and turned back to me.

"Turn the knob so it's nearly vertical, and change the temperature from there by turning it backwards and forwards," he instructed.

"Thanks," I said gratefully, kicking myself at not being able to figure out such a simple system. "Oh, and Eddie?" He stopped, halfway out the door. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone about this."

He nodded, unable to keep the grin off his face, and I could hear him laughing hysterically as he scarpered. Shaking my head with embarrassment, I stepped into the shower, allowing the cool, clean water to wash over me and wipe away the lingering dregs of sleep. When I emerged, I felt refreshed, ready to face the day ahead of me.

After I returned to the spare room and pulled on yesterday's clothes, I strolled downstairs to the kitchen. Rifling in the cupboards, I located some Cheerios, a bowl and some milk and made myself some breakfast. I ate it leaning against the sink, staring thoughtfully up at the ceiling.

I put the bowl in the sink when I was done and, yawning, ambled into the living room. Eddie was on the computer, doing something I couldn't see. He minimised it when he heard me approach and swivelled round, smirking.

"Did you have a good shower?" he asked, struggling to keep a straight face.

I narrowed my eyes at him as I sat on one of the sofas. "Yes, thanks."

Hiding a grin, he handed me the remote. "You can watch whatever you want," he offered, "providing it's on Freeview."

Rolling my eyes, I switched on the TV and started flicking through the channels.

"Eddie," I said curiously, "where's Tory gone?"

He gave me an apologetic look. "Can't say. Sorry."

"Come on," I whined. "I'm just curious."

"Nope." He shook his head. "She's paying me a quid to keep quiet."

I rolled my eyes again. My attention flicked to the TV and then back to Eddie.

"What you doing?" I asked hopefully.

Eddie shrugged. "Just stuff."

I gave up trying to have a conversation with him and pulled out my phone, tossing it lightly from hand to hand. I keyed in Tory's number as easily as if it were my own, but my finger hovered over the call button for a few seconds before I changed my mind and put the phone back in my pocket.

No sooner had I replaced it than it rang, Kyle's name flashing on the screen. Glancing briefly at Eddie, I walked out of the room and picked up the phone, wondering why he would be calling.

"Hello?" I said curiously.

"So you're not dead, then," he said bluntly. His voice became muffled like he was covering the phone with his hand. "He's alive. The prick's just ignoring us, is all."

I rolled my eyes. "I can still hear you, you know. And what the hell are you on about?"

"What's he saying?" I could vaguely hear Jordan's voice in the background. "Put it on speaker!"

There was a rough, static jostling sound as Jordan tussled with Kyle for the phone. Then I heard Kyle swear with defeat, and Jordan say triumphantly, his voice clear as day, "Hi Fletch."

"Hey Jordan." I exhaled slowly. "Either of you want to tell me what it is I'm supposed to have done?"

"Give me that," Kyle mutters, his voice returning to dominance. "You were supposed to come to mine yesterday," he reminded me reproachfully. "You forgot, didn't you?"

I cringed guiltily, suddenly remembering. "Yup. Sorry, guys. I was just... I had other things to worry about."

"Like what?" Kyle said sceptically.

After a moment's hesitation, I decided to tell them what happened last night. It wasn’t that monumental, I figured, and after all, they were my best mates. I couldn't not tell them.

There was a long silence on the other end of the phone after I finished.

"Shit, man," Jordan said eventually. "That's messed up."

"Yeah," Kyle agreed.

I knew what they were thinking, and I didn't like it. "He's not like that. He's not like-" I stopped myself just in time. I was about to say like Jordan's dad.

He did it for me. "Like my dad," Jordan said dully. "But Fletch, this is how it starts. One stupid punch. Doesn't mean a thing. Then it becomes two, then three, and before long you're getting beat up every night."

I winced, regretting ever bringing it up. "Your dad hasn't hurt you or your mum yet, has he?"

"No," Jordan replied shortly, his voice granite. "Yet."

There was a sudden, awkward silence, which I felt the desperate need to fill.

"In other news," Kyle said hurriedly, his changing the subject not subtle at all, "Hassan gets back from Iraq pretty soon."

It may not have been subtle, but I was grateful for the change of subject anyway. "Lucky bugger. He's been in the sun for weeks while we've been stuck with this measly rain."

It really is bad when you have to resort to talking about the weather to fill empty silences.

"Yeah," Kyle agree. "So, you want to come over today?"

"Nah," I replied, rubbing the back of my neck. "I don't really feel like it."

"Charming," Kyle mutters. "She's really got you under her thumb, hasn't she?"

I rolled my eyes. He was, obviously, talking about Tory. "Shut up," I replied good-naturedly. "See you, guys."

"Yeah, see you," Kyle echoed, and Jordan mumbled something to that effect before they hung up.

Putting my phone back in my pocket, I stood there for a few moments, before I headed back into the living room to watch TV.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stifling a yawn, I glanced at the clock. It was nearly midday, and I'd been wasting away about two hours watching TV mindlessly.

I heard the front door open, and a familiar, female voice filled the hall. A grin stretched across my face as Tory bounced into the room.

"Hi!" she chirped cheerfully, throwing her arms around me.

"Hi," I replied, not even trying to match her enthusiasm. "Where'd you go?"

She looked shifty, and gave a sheepish smile. "Promise you won't get angry."

I narrowed my eyes. "Tory, what have you done?"

She jerked her head towards Eddie, who was sitting unnaturally still, clearly eavesdropping. Grabbing her, I hauled her outside and shut the door behind us, giving her a stern look. Biting her lip, she avoided my gaze and handed me my house keys.

"I borrowed them while you were still asleep," she explained at my bemused expression.

I nodded warily. "Tory, what have you done?"

"We just got you some stuff," she replied, still looking a little guilty.

"Did you, uh, did you see my dad?" I asked, feigning nonchalance.

Her face softened. "Yeah, I did." I gave her a look, urging her to elaborate. "He looked awful, Fletch. And he wasn't even drunk. When we walked in, he looked up with this hopeful look in his eyes, but when he saw that it wasn't you, he seemed to collapse back in on himself." She exhaled slowly, and took my hand. "He asked where you were, and if you were okay. I told him you were with me, and that you were. He looked so happy."

I nodded tightly. "He was worried about me."

She reached over and patted my shoulder comfortingly. "Has he ever done anything like this before?"

I shook my head vehemently. "No. Never." I sighed impatiently, rubbing my forehead. "I should go home. See if he's okay."

"I don't think that's such a good idea," she advised. "Give it a few days, give each other space."

I smiled slightly. "Anyone would think you don't want to be rid of me."

"'Course I don't," she replied lightly, nudging me gently. "I love having you around."

I pulled her into a hug, my arms wrapped around her as tightly as I could get them. I hugged her until I could almost sense her discomfort, then pulled reluctantly away and smiled at her.

"What do you want to do today?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Don't really mind. Don't feel like doing much, to be honest."

"I know!" she said excitedly, her face lighting up with a grin. "Let's watch a film!"

I rolled my eyes teasingly. "Genius, Tory. No wonder you go to grammar school."

She thwacked me on the arm and mock-glared at me. "You're horrible."

"You know you love me really," I replied lightly.

She only rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen. I followed, somewhat confused.

"I thought we were watching a film," I said, frowning.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I'm kind of hungry," she replied as she rifled through a cupboard. "It's nearly half twelve."

"I guess," I agreed, watching her warily.

"Aha!" she said suddenly, jumping nimbly down from the counter, a packet of something in her hands. "Popcorn!"

Chuckling, I followed her into the living room. Squatting by the rack of DVDs, she rifled through it and pulled out a few cases.

"What do you say to a Pirates of the Caribbean marathon?" she grinned, waving the cases around.

I grinned. "Sounds great."

Tory turned to the computer, her hands on her hips. Eddie finally got the hint and swivelled round, an eyebrow raised challengingly.

"Yes?" he demanded.

"We want to watch a film," Tory said pointedly.

"Good for you," he replied sarcastically.

"We don't want to watch it with you," she continued.

He snorted. "If you want some alone time with each other, go be alone somewhere else."

She hit him upside the head and glared at him. "Leave. Now."

"No," he retorted. "Make me."

Tory looked about ready to explode. "You are so- so- so- irritating!" she spluttered.

Eddie looked at her impassively. "Victoria, I am your brother. I am meant to annoy you."

She stared at him hard for a few, long seconds, and then stormed over to me.

"Come on," she muttered, grabbing my arm and throwing an evil glare in Eddie's direction. "We can go watch it in my mum's room."

I let her pull me along, sensing her anger and deciding it was best to stay schtum. She practically shoved me into her mum's room, motioning towards the bed. I gave her a look, but said nothing, cautiously watching her set up the DVD and put the first film in.

"Tory," I said warily, "are you okay?"

"Of course I'm okay," she said sharply, stomping over to the bed. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You seem a little..." I trailed off at her look.

"A little what?" she demanded.

"Angry?" I said cautiously.

She sighed, flopping down beside me. "I'm just pissed at my brother for being such a twat. Just generally."

"Siblings, eh?" I said lightly. "Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em."

Her face fell immediately. "Oh, Fletch. I'm sorry, I completely forgot about Joe."

I smiled tightly. "It's fine, really."

"No, it isn't. I'll never complain about my brother or sister again."

I rolled my eyes, knowing that would be impossible. "Speaking of which, where is your sister?"

"My dad's taken her to some party or another," she replies vaguely. "I don't know. So it's just us."

I smiled again, my arm snaking around her shoulders to pull her close to me. The film was just about to start.

"Tory!" Catherine called, from somewhere downstairs. "Where are you?"

Muttering under her breath, Tory pressed the pause button, sprang from the bed and stomped out to holler downstairs, "Your room! Why?"

"What do you want for lunch?" Catherine hollered back.

"I'm not that hungry!" Tory yelled.

"What about Fletch?" Catherine yelled back.

Tory turned to me, her eyebrows raised in question.

"I don't really mind," I replied honestly.

"He's not that hungry either!" Tory roared.

"Okay!" Catherine roared back. "I'll just make you sandwiches, then!"

"Mum!" Tory retorted. "We're watching a film! We've got popcorn! We don't need sandwiches!"

"Okay!" Catherine yelled. "Have fun!"

Rolling her eyes, Tory returned to the room, slamming the door behind her. I gave her a questioning look, but she just smiled and lay back down next to me, resting her head on my shoulders. On impulse, I wove my fingers into her irresistibly soft hair as the film began.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the credits for the first film rolled onto the screen, Tory yawned, stretched, and got to her feet, leaving an impossibly cold space on my chest where her head used to be.

"I'm going to the toilet," she informed me. "Do you want anything?"

I shook my head and, smiling, she left the room, shutting the door gently behind her. Glancing at the clock, I saw that it was only mid-afternoon. Stifling a yawn, I walked over to the DVD player and popped out the disc, replacing it with the next one before returning to my spot. Absentmindedly, I took a fistful of popcorn and stuffed it in my mouth.

Tory stomped back into the room a few minutes later, looking once more like there was a huge storm cloud above her head.

"What is it?" I asked cautiously.

"My dad's back," she replied darkly.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Well, no. Yes. Kind of." She bit her lip and collapsed onto the bed. "He's just getting on my case all the time. He keeps interrogating me; where I go, who I see, what I do..." She trailed off, glaring at a patch of blanket. "I know he's just worried about me, but I hate that he doesn't trust me. I mean, I've never done anything to deserve that. I'm hardly untrustworthy."

I shuffled forward and pulled her into a hug, resting my chin on top of her head.

"I'm sorry," she said eventually. "I'm doing it again, aren't I? Complaining about my life when you've got it so much worse."

"Hey. Don't ever think that your problems are any less than mine," I ordered her. "There's always going to be someone worse off than you, but that doesn't stop us complaining." I smiled. "It's in our nature."

She smiled back at me, and kissed me quickly. "Next film?"

"Next film."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stifling a yawn, I pressed the stop button on the remote as the last film's credits started to roll. We'd had a bit of a break between the second and the third film to eat a pizza Catherine had rustled up for us, so by now it was about half ten.

"Tory?" I whispered, shaking her slightly. "Tory, are you awake?"

"Of course I'm awake," she murmured, rolling over to smile up at me. "I wouldn't fall asleep during Pirates of the Caribbean. That would be disrespectful."

I smiled tiredly. "We ought to go to bed. I'm exhausted."

Nodding reluctantly, she hopped off the bed and switched off the TV at the wall. She stood on her tiptoes to kiss me goodnight, wrapping her arms around my neck, before turning into her room and shutting the door behind her.

I continued into the guest bedroom - it felt weird to call it mine - and stripped to my boxers before crawling into bed. I was staring up at the ceiling, my hands clasped across my chest, when Tory padded in, wearing only a short-sleeved t-shirt and shorts. Confused, I just watched her cross the room and climb into bed beside me, her cold body snuggling up next to mine.

"Hi," I whispered.

"Hi," she whispered back, smiling at me.

Closing her eyes, she rested her head on my shoulder, her breathing slowly becoming more rhythmic until it became apparent that she was asleep.

I watched her, mesmerised by the steady rise and fall of her chest, the slight fluttering of her eyelashes and her breath tickling my cheek.

It would be a long time before I got to sleep that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't yell at me. I know it's been a while.
But, I quite like this chapter. Fluffiness ftw. :D