Status: I'm writing the next chapter now.

Dance With Me In the Pouring Rain

four; I don't care what you think

I glanced down at the piece of paper Tory had scrawled Matt’s address on, then looked back up at the house grimly. Yep. This was the place. The immaculate gardens of the houses were enough to let me know that here was a very different place to my neighbourhood. The fact that my house could probably fit in the front garden was another matter.

Steeling myself, I pressed the doorbell. I hopped impatiently from foot to foot, resisting the urge to push the button again.

It swung open, revealing a guy, about my age, wearing a ‘15 today!’ badge. Matt, I supposed. He looked at me suspiciously.

“Who are you?” he asked rudely, crossing his arms across my chest.

“Fletch,” I replied, somewhat discouraged. “Tory invited me.”

He narrowed his eyes and turned back to the house. “Tory!” he roared. “Get your skinny arse over here!”

Tory appeared at the doorway, a vision in a black miniskirt, black leggings and a tight-fitting dark purple t-shirt. On her feet were matching purple converse.

“What is it, Matt?” she said, looking at him. She saw me and squealed with delight. “Fletch! You came!”

I nodded awkwardly. “What else could I do? I couldn’t risk the wrath of your imaginary friends.”

Matt looked between the two of us and shook his head with disbelief. “Just wanted to check he wasn’t some random.”

Tory rolled her eyes and pulled me inside to the living room, where there were around fifteen people lounging around. It was enormous; at least three times the size of mine. There was a stereo in the corner blasting R&B music and a fifty-inch plasma screen TV. I gawped at it, following Tory with a sense of wonder.

“Guys, this is Fletch, the guy I told you about,” she informed the people. “Fletch, this is Carrie, Shelley, Alice, Sophie, Libby, Annie and Cassie.”

The girls surrounded me immediately, all talking at once. I felt extremely intimidated, and claustrophobic.

“Ladies, please!” Tory exclaimed, pushing them aside. “Give the boy some space!” She led me over to the guys. “This is Jason, Tom, Josh, Rory, Liam, Danny and Matt, the birthday boy.”

Matt grinned cheekily at her. “Do I get a birthday kiss, Tory?”

She raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. “Call me when hell freezes over.”

“So there is a chance!” he exclaimed.

She rolled her eyes again and steered me over to the table. “This is the food. Duh. Help yourself, eat whatever you want. There’s music playing; change it if you want. In fact, please do. It’s awful,” she whispered, winking conspiratorially at me. “Other than that, feel free to mingle.”

I grinned at her. “Wow. This is so organised.”

“Has to be,” she replied. “If we get so much as a ketchup stain on the carpet, Mrs. Broderick – Matt’s mum – will skin us alive.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Wow. Harsh. But this place looks immaculate.”

“You should see my house,” Tory joked. “Mum is a neat freak to the point of obsession. My room, however, looks like a bomb hit it.”

“So, you and Matt,” I said casually. Truthfully, I was dying to know. “Are you going out or something?”

She laughed harshly. “He wishes. Will you be okay? I’m going to talk to some of the others.”

I nodded, and, smiling at me, she sauntered off. Turning back to the table, I heaped a plate with food; Doritos, chocolate and anything else I could find.

“Hi,” a girl said, smiling at me. “Mind if I join you?”

“Go ahead, uh-” I fumbled for her name.

“Sophie,” she supplied, still smiling at me.

My eyes went wide. Sophie was the one who, according to Tory, had a crush on me. And Edward Cullen.

I managed a smile. “Sophie. I'm Fletch.”

“I know. Tory’s told us so much about you,” she said in what was obviously meant to be a seductive way.

“That’s marvellous,” I said. She didn't pick up the hint of sarcasm.

“We should get to know each other better,” she suggested, running her hand lightly up and down my arm.

“Sophie, leave this poor boy alone,” another girl said, joining us. “He doesn’t need you hitting on him all night.”

“Just because you’re jealous,” Sophie retorted, pouting.

The girl raised an eyebrow. “Sure. You go back to fantasising about guys who don’t exist, because they're the only ones you stand a chance in hell of getting with.”

Sophie stomped off, muttering something incomprehensible under her breath. I turned to my rescuer.

“Thanks for that,” I said gratefully.

She shrugged. “You should’ve just told her to piss off. That normally works.”

“I don’t like being rude to people I barely know,” I replied, feeling my cheeks heat up.

She raised an eyebrow. “I can see why Tory likes you. You’re nice.”

I laughed harshly. “Believe me, I’m not. Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but what's your name? I know Tory introduced me to all of you, but I’m terrible with names.”

She rolled her eyes, smiling. “I’m Alice.”

“Alice?” I said, surprised. “As in the Alice who singed the chemistry teacher’s goatee?”

Her eyes widened. “She told you about that? Cheeky bitch. Yeah, that’s me.”

We immediately got talking. It turned out she didn't live too far from me, and had also seen me around. I was comforted by the fact that not all of them were rolling in it. She seemed pretty cool all round. I noticed she was wearing a Bring Me the Horizon t-shirt over skinny black jeans.

“You like Bring Me the Horizon?” I said, surprised.

She nodded vigorously. “Yeah. I’ve seen them in concert twice.”

My eyes widened with jealousy. “Lucky sod.”

She smiled smugly. “Uh-huh. Hey, you want to dance?”

My gaze flicked to Tory for a nanosecond, who was currently dancing with the boy I thought was called Danny. I turned back to Alice and smiled.

“Sure,” I replied. “But I warn you now, I can’t dance.”

She grinned. “Me neither.”

We started dancing, not in any particular way or form. We were both terrible, and I ended up standing on her feet several times.

“Sorry about that,” I apologised once the song had finished and we’d sat down. “But I did warn you.”

She rolled her eyes, wincing as she rubbed her feet. “It’s fine.”

I noticed she was looking at Rory somewhat wistfully. Realisation dawned.

“How long have you been in love with him for?” I observed.

She started, and nodded resignedly. “A few months. But I can’t get up the guts to ask him out.”

“Why don’t you ask him to dance?” I suggested helpfully. She raised an eyebrow. “You didn't have a problem asking me.”

“Yeah, but I don’t fancy you,” she pointed out. “No offence.”

“None taken,” I replied. “Go on. Just ask him! You’ll regret it if you don’t.”

She bit her lip nervously. “Could you talk to him for me? Since you're a guy and that.”

I rolled my eyes. “I barely know him, Alice.”

“Call me Ally,” she said. “Everyone else does.”

“Ally,” I said. “Yeah, it suits you.”

“So will you?” she asked hesitantly.

I sighed. “Sure. Wait here.”

I strode over to where Rory was sitting. “Hey, man. Rory, isn’t it?”

He nodded and safe-d me. “Hey. Fletch, right?”

“Yeah.” I noticed him glancing at a point behind me and I smiled. This was going to be easier than I thought. “So,” I said conversationally, “you like Ally.”

He started. “Nah. She’s just a friend.”

I raised an eyebrow and sat down. “Rory, I’ve seen the way you look at her.” This was a lie, but he didn't need to know that. “And the way she looks at you.”

“Really?” he said hesitantly.

I nodded. “Yeah. She likes you, and you obviously like her back. Ask her to dance, or something.”

“Yeah, I think I will,” he said thoughtfully, standing up. “Thanks, Fletch.”

He clapped me on the back before heading over to Ally.

“My work here is done,” I muttered.

Someone tapped me on the back and I turned round. It was Danny, the guy Tory was dancing with. I immediately felt hostile towards him, and fixed a nonchalant expression on my face.

“Hi,” I said. “Danny, right?”

“Yeah,” he replied.

“So,” I said conversationally, “you and Tory are going out.”

Danny looked at me. He raised an eyebrow and bit his lip. Seconds later, he let out a huge guffaw and was doubled over with laughter.

“What?” I said, annoyed. “What’s so funny?”

“Ah, that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in ages,” he chortled, wiping his eyes. “Me and Tory aren’t going out.”

“Oh, right,” I replied, feeling silly but not completely understanding why it was so funny. They seemed pretty close earlier.

“We can’t be going out because,” he laughed, “I’m gay!”

My eyes widened. Now I understood why it was so funny. My face reddened immensely. It was only about half an hour into the party and I’d already managed to make a fool of myself. Well done, Fletch.

“It’s okay, mate,” Danny said, patting me on the back. “I won’t tell anyone.” He winked at me. “It’s an easy mistake to make.”

“So, is she seeing anyone?” I muttered, as my cheeks cleared.

He shrugged. “Not that I know of.” He smiled slyly. “Bet you're pleased about that.”

“No,” I said defensively. “I was just curious.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Fletch, you’ve been staring at her since you got here. I think it’s safe to say you like her.”

“Maybe,” I muttered.

Danny grew serious. “Look, you seem like a great guy, you really do. If you weren’t so obviously straight, I’d date you any day. But Tory’s one of my best mates, and she hasn’t exactly had a great track record with guys. To put it bluntly, they’ve all broke her heart. I don’t want to see her hurt again.”

I nodded understandingly. “’Course. But you don’t have to worry. She doesn’t like me back, I’m sure.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that,” he said slyly.

I frowned, confused. “What do you mean?”

He shrugged ambiguously. “She’s coming over. Enjoy the rest of the party, Fletch.”

He winked at me and wandered off. I wondered how I’d missed the fact that he was gay, and turned to Tory.

“Hi,” she greeted me. “You having a good time?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “Your friends are pretty cool.”

“Yeah, I saw how you helped Ally with Rory,” she observed. “Thanks for that. We’ve all been begging them to get together, but they were too shy. How’d you do it?”

I shrugged. “No idea. Danny seems like a cool guy too.”

“Really?” Tory said suggestively. “You two did look pretty cosy. Do you like him? Look, you don’t have to worry. I’ll still be friends with you. I don’t mind that you're gay.”

My eyes widened and I blanched. “Tory, I’m not gay,” I said hastily.

She raised an eyebrow. “Really? You could’ve fooled me.”

“I’m not,” I insisted.

“Methinks you protest too much,” she said knowingly.

“I’m not gay!” I practically shouted. People glanced curiously at me and I lowered my voice. “Believe me, Tory. I’m not gay.” If only she knew.

“Prove it,” she challenged.

“Fine, I will,” I said defiantly, grabbing her.

Surprised, she looked questioningly up at me with her beautiful brown eyes. Without giving myself time to think about it, I pressed my lips onto hers and kissed her as passionately as I could. When we broke apart, my face was flaming, and everyone in the room was staring at us.

“Believe me now?” I managed boldly.

She seemed to consider for a few seconds. “I’m not sure. Maybe you could do it again.”

I made towards her, but she held up a hand. “I was winding you up, Fletch.”

I folded my arms, flushing. “You’ve got to stop doing that.”

She smiled awkwardly. “But you're so easy to wind up.”

“I’m not gay though,” I insisted.

“I don't know, you could be bi,” she said thoughtfully.

“You’re unbelievable,” I muttered, stalking back to the food table.

Secretly, I was pleased. Even if it was under pretence, I had kissed Tory! And it was even better than I thought it would be. Shame it wasn’t going to happen again, I thought regretfully, downing a can of Coke.

“Forget that shit, have some of this,” Matt said, coming up behind me with a bottle of alcohol. I didn't even bother reading it to find out what it was.

“No thanks,” I said coolly. “I don’t drink.”

He raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. “Where did Tory find you, a monastery?”

I narrowed my eyes. “Just because I don’t need to get wasted to have a good time. You know what, it’s your party. Do what you like. But don’t drag me into it.”

I grabbed a fistful of Doritos and stormed off. I don’t know how long I was there, chatting to Tory’s friends as they came and went. They seemed okay, if a little stuck-up at times. I looked for Ally, but she was nowhere to be seen. She was probably with Rory, I thought with a grimace. Okay. Need to get that graphic picture out of my head.

“Everyone, we’re going to play Spin the Bottle,” Matt announced smugly, tottering a little. He was clearly drunk, even if it hadn’t started to show in his speech.

Everyone congregated in the middle of the huge room in a circle.

“I’m going first,” he declared.

“I feel sorry for whoever gets you,” I muttered, loud enough for everyone to hear. “I wouldn’t want to snog a bottle of whiskey.”

He narrowed his eyes as everyone laughed. “Yeah, well. You’ve probably never even touched one.”

“And I don’t exactly want to,” I said coolly. “Killer hangovers aren’t exactly something I enjoy.”

“I thought we were playing Spin the Bottle,” Cassie, a pretty blonde girl, complained.

Matt nodded and set the bottle in the middle of the circle, spinning it. It landed on Danny and everyone laughed. Matt made to spin it again, but Danny shook his head.

“Nuh-uh, that’s not allowed,” he tutted mock-disapprovingly. “I’m afraid, Mattie darling, that you have to kiss me.”

Matt went bright red. “But you're gay.”

Danny raised an eyebrow coolly. “You got a problem with my homosexuality, Matt?”

“No, but I’m not gay,” he muttered. “You wouldn’t want to kiss a girl, would you?”

“True,” Danny acknowledged, “but rules are rules. Come here, beautiful.”

Everyone laughed as Danny planted a smacker on Matt’s lips. I felt a little bit sorry for him; it seemed like he was always the butt of their jokes. I knew how that felt, and no matter how much of a dickhead he was, he didn't deserve that kind of constant humiliation.

“Calm down, people,” I said loudly. “It’s like you’ve never seen two guys kissing before! Whose turn is it next?”

“Mine,” Cassie piped up. “It’s going clockwise.”

“Ooh, get you,” Josh said childishly. “‘Clockwise’.”

“Go to hell, Josh,” Cassie replied without missing a beat, spinning the bottle. It landed on Tom.

By the time it got to me, it seemed like everyone had kissed everyone else. Tory had got her fair share, and I felt more than a little jealous. I spun the bottle, not looking up until it stopped.

On Ally.

“Pass,” I said hastily, noting the possessive arm – Rory’s – that snaked around her shoulders.

“But that’s against the rules,” Matt objected pedantically. Stupid twat.

“Go on then,” Rory said reluctantly, letting go of Ally. “But if you so much as look like you're enjoying it, I’ll kill the both of you.”

Ally rolled her eyes. “Fine, if you're going to be all possessive.” She pecked me quickly on the cheek and returned to him.

I sat down again. “Whose next?”

“Me,” Sophie said.

She spun the bottle and it landed on me. Just my luck. I got up reluctantly and made to kiss her on the cheek like Ally had done to me, but Sophie grabbed me and turned my head to hers, kissing me full on the lips. I pulled away, but not before the wolf-whistles had broken out.

“Watch out, Edward Cullen,” Cassie laughed.

I blushed deeply. Christ. They were never going to let this go. As I sat down, someone passed me a half-full pack of beer. I passed it on.

“Aren’t you going to have one?” Liam asked, confused.

“The lightweight doesn’t drink,” Matt informed him, sneering at me.

“I have my reasons,” I replied, my eyes narrowed.

“Like?” he challenged.

“None of your damn business,” I replied, as the anger rose. I tried to quell it, to no avail.

Matt got to his feet in what was supposed to be a threatening way. The effect was somewhat ruined by the fact that he was swaying unsteadily on his feet. I snorted with disgust.

“I’d like to say it was a pleasure meeting you, Matt, but I’d be lying,” I snorted. “The rest of you, my apologies for having to suffer an idiot like him every day. I’ll see you around.”

My gaze lingered briefly on Tory before I stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I had to get out of there before I hurt someone.

“Fletch! Fletch! FLETCH!” Tory bellowed, grabbing my arm and spinning my round. “Are you okay?”

“I’m bloody marvellous,” I remarked sarcastically.

“I’m sorry about Matt,” she replied, not dissuaded. “I told you he was a bit of a twat.”

I snorted. “And the prize for the understatement of the year goes to Tory Pearson.”

She flinched. I sighed, immediately regretting my harsh words.

“I’m sorry,” I muttered, running a hand through my hair. “I get annoyed easily. And I have a bad temper.”

“Well, you know what they say,” she replied. “Admitting you have a problem is halfway to solving it.”

“I don’t have a problem,” I protested.

She sighed. “Here, give me your phone.”

“Why?” I asked, confused.

“So I can put my number in so you can call me so you can take me out to make up for snapping at me,” she replied. I knew she was teasing me by the way the corners of her lips tugged upwards.

I handed her my phone and she keyed in her number quickly. I was a little embarrassed; it was an old model I’d inherited from Dad.

“Here,” she said, handing it me back. “I put in my email address to so you can add me on MSN.”

“Oh, I don’t have MSN,” I replied, embarrassed. “I don’t have a computer.”

Her face fell. “Oh. Sorry, I shouldn’t have assumed-”

“Well, I have a computer,” I corrected. “But it doesn’t work. Hasn’t done for months. Couldn’t be arsed to get it fixed.”

“I could look at it for you,” she offered. “I’m pretty good with computers.”

“Oh, it’s okay,” I said quickly.

“Really, it wouldn’t be a problem,” she insisted.

“I wouldn’t want to put you out,” I said lamely.

“It’s fine,” she assured me.

“Our house is really messy,” I improvised. That was true.

She shrugged. “So?”

I could tell she wasn’t going to back down; she had that defiant look in her eyes. So I sighed reluctantly and muttered, “Fine.” I wrote my address on a piece of paper and handed it to her, our fingers brushing lightly as I did so.

“I’ll come over at about ten thirty,” she informed me. “See you then.”

She hugged me quickly. I managed a smile as I walked out of the house, shutting the door quietly behind me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wooh long chapter! Well, long for me. It's probably not that long. Ireally like this story. It bodes well for its future...