Status: I'm writing the next chapter now.

Dance With Me In the Pouring Rain

eight; this thursday feels just like a weekend

I waited nervously by the entrance to the ice rink, checking my watch surreptitiously. Tory was late. It wasn’t like her to be late. People gave me strange looks on their way in, obviously thinking what I saddo I was to be waiting on my own.

“Where are you, Tory?” I muttered under my breath.

As if on cue, a green Renault pulled up smoothly a few metres away. The door opened and Tory got out, calling goodbye to her mum. She strode towards me, wearing a simple black hoodie and faded blue jeans, her hair up in a loose bun.

“Sorry I’m late,” she said apologetically, tugging her sleeves down over her hands uncomfortably.

“It’s okay. I’ve not been here long,” I lied. “Let’s go in, then.”

Nodding demurely, she walked inside. For some reason, things were incredibly awkward between us. Tory was silent; I was sure that meant she was thinking. About what, though? I had no idea.

She didn’t say anything until we were strapping on the ice skates we had rented.

“Fletch,” she said quietly.

“Yeah?” I replied. “Felt like there was something on the end of that.”

She bit her lip, and then shook her head. “Forget it. It doesn’t matter.”

“Okay,” I said, a little confused, as we walked onto the ice. “You ever done this before?”

“Once, at my little sister’s seventh birthday party,” she replied, wincing. “It did not go well.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll be great,” I assured her, practically dragging her on. “Come on. This’ll be fun.”

She nodded like she didn't quite believe me, and we set off. I noticed she was walking in her ice skates, not skating like she was supposed to, and her hands were gripping the rail so tightly her knuckles were turning white.

Prising her fingers off the rail, I held her hand in mine and pulled her along. Almost instantly, she fell backwards onto her butt.

“Ouch,” she grumbled, as I gave her a hand up, looking more embarrassed than angry. “Thanks.”

“Let me pull you along,” I offered, gliding forward while simultaneously pulling her with me. She looked steadier than before, and was biting her lip with concentration.

“You’re so good at this,” she said enviously. I merely shrugged modestly. “Have you done this before?”

“No, but I used to rollerblade, and it’s essentially the same thing,” I replied.

“Yeah, well I can’t do that either,” she muttered. In a low voice, so I obviously wasn’t supposed to hear, she added, “That’s another thing to add to the very long list of things I can’t do.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Oh yeah? What else is on there? I thought you were good at everything.”

She glared half-heartedly at me. “Shut up, you.” She sighed. “You can go on without me, if you want. I’m only stopping you going faster.”

“Its fine,” I assure her. “I'd rather be with you.”

“God knows why,” she muttered, looking miserable.

“Look, Tory, what's wrong?” I asked her seriously. “You look terrible.”

“Well thanks a lot,” she snapped. “I'm fine.”

“Yeah right,” I retorted. “Tell me, Tory. I thought we were friends.”

She bit her lip, and opened her mouth to speak. But before she could, her eyes narrowed and I heard a familiar voice behind me.

“Fletch!” Kara, a friend of mine, squealed, coming up behind me and hugging me. “Fancy seeing you here! Who’s this?”

“Kara, this is Tory,” I introduced awkwardly. “Tory, this is Kara.”

“Pleasure,” Tory said sarcastically.

Kara gave me a look as if to say, what's her problem? I merely shrugged.

“Well, I should leave you two alone,” Tory said, venom dripping from her words. “Try not to have too much fun.”

She stormed off out of the ice rink, leaving me standing there, bewildered. What on earth had just happened?

“Whoever she is, go after her,” Kara advised me firmly.

“Sorry about this,” I apologised as I put my trainers back on and hurried out after Tory.

I scanned the road, looking for her, my eyes lighting up when I saw her heading for the bus that had just pulled up. I strode towards it, but just as I was about five feet away, she got on and it pulled away. Running frantically after it, I cursed under my breath as I realised the next bus wasn’t going to come for about twenty minutes. Damn buses. Placing my hands on either side of the bus shelter, I started bashing my head repeatedly on it.

“You know, I never pegged you as the ASBO type,” Kara said dryly from behind me. “But if you’re desperate to vandalise that bus shelter, it would be easier and less painful to just use a spray can.”

I turned and gave her a weary half-smile, slumping down into a hard plastic seat. “Hi Kara.”

“So, I’m guessing you didn't catch up with her, then?” she affirmed, sitting next to me. “Right. Well my friend, you have some explaining to do.”

I shrugged. “What do you want to know?”

She raised an eyebrow. “I want to know why you didn’t tell me you got a girlfriend.”

I blushed, avoiding her gaze. “Tory’s not my girlfriend.”

“Could’ve fooled me,” Kara snorted. “So, how did you meet her? And why was she in such a mood?”

“I have no clue,” I replied honestly. “I wish I knew how girls’ minds work.”

“Okay, so how did you meet her then?” she persisted. “And I want all the details. Leave nothing out, however insignificant it may seem.”

I sighed. “There isn’t much to tell. I met her last Monday in the park. We got chatting, met up a bit more, she invited me to a party, we hung out a bit more, I asked her to come ice-skating with me…”

She looked at me, unimpressed. “Fletch, can I tell you something? Honestly?”

Confused, I nodded.

“You suck at telling a story,” she stated simply.

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks.”

“Okay, I only have one question for you,” she said. “Do you like her?”

I bit my lip nervously. Did I like Tory? That would be a resounding ‘yes’. I liked the way her face lit up when she smiled. I liked the way she made me feel important, like what I had to say mattered to her. I liked her beautiful brown eyes, innocent and soulful, and her short dark hair that I was dying to run my fingers through.

I nodded slowly. “Yeah. Yeah, I really like her.”

Kara smiled. “Knew it. So why’s she in a mood with you? What did you do?”

“I didn't do anything!” I retorted defensively.

“Of course you didn't. But you haven’t gone after her, have you?” she pointed out.

“Well, that’s because she got on the bus and it left,” I replied. “Besides, I’m talking to you.”

She shook her head with disbelief. “You need to talk to her. Face to face.”

I nodded. “Thanks Kara. I’ll remember to come to you if I ever need relationship advice.”

She smiled back. “You do that.” Her eyes narrowed. “That wasn’t sarcasm, was it?”

“Of course not,” I replied teasingly. “That was completely serious.”

She rolled her eyes and hugged me quickly, before pulling away and smiling at me. “I should get back to David,” she told me, referring to her boyfriend, who was a friend of mine, and the reason why we had become friends.

“Say hi to him for me,” I replied, grimacing. “Sorry for ruining your date.”

“Its fine,” she assured me. “By the way, your bus is here.”

“Thank God,” I muttered. “This must be the shortest time I’ve ever waited for a bus in, well, ever.”

She grinned and waved as she walked away. I got on the relatively empty bus and took a seat at the back, fretting about what I should say to Tory.

But then it hit me. I didn't know where she lived.

Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've put off posting this for a week because I wasn't sure about it. I'm still not, to be honest, but it's not going to get any better. Let me know what you think.