Lullaby, You

The Party

I wake up to hear silence. I’m used to the silence now since I’m the only one here. I don’t know how long I’ve been here, honestly. The last thing I remember is seeing car lights.
This place that I’ve been in for what seems like forever is a theater. It’s usually dark save for a few lights on the stage. There’s even a white grand piano for me to play. I don’t know if there are any seats in this place because I’ve never left the stage. I decided to name this theater The White Piano, since everything else here is black except for my clothes and the piano.
I hate it here. I’m all alone; it’s dark, and quiet. I want out of here. I want others to hear me play (I love playing for people). I want Cato!
I get up from my sitting position on the floor and walk over to the piano. There are no music sheets and I wish there was. I sign and slump down into the seat and begin to play, my favorite, Moonlight Sonata. I always play this classic when I really miss Cato.
Cato. I miss him. His smile, his laugh, his eyes, the way he held me when I needed him. Cato. He was so funny, smart, and so talented. I want to be with him. I want out of The White Piano. Thinking about Cato makes my heart hurt and I can’t seem to stop the tears from falling.
“I wish I could go back to when we first met.” I cry to myself. I jump when I hear a sound of a projector turning on. How is there a projector in here?
I look up from the piano to see a (new and random) movie screen. Numbers count down from three. Then there it is; the day I first met Cato. It’s exactly as how I remembered.
I get up from the piano seat to sit on the floor, so that I get a good view of the screen. I lean back on my hands, letting the images on the screen take me back.
* * *
“So Skye, who’s going to be at Keith’s party?” I ask as we walk up the drive way of Keith’s house. I could hear Skye’s big family in the back/side yard and in the house. There are a couple of cars, a jeep, and a van in the driveway. There are bushes and a few giant trees in the front. The garage is open, attached to the house. There’s a lot of yard for a small house of four people and a dog.
“The usual, duh.” Skye answers me as we go through the side yard where everyone is at and say hello to all her family. There are more people inside (mostly in the kitchen) and most of the boys (Skye’s cousins) are in the front.
“So all familiar faces that I can’t remember the names too. You’d think I’d know them all by now.” I tell her after we’re done getting hugged by everyone and heading over to the front yard to see Keith, and other cousins of Skye. There’s Keith, Odd, Nick, Eddy, and a very cute boy that I’ve never seen before. I take Skye by the arm, away from the guys and upstairs into the house’s living room.
“So when did you have a cute cousin?” I ask her. She gives me a weird look. “Um. Ew, and which one?” Now she sounds interested. Then I see him and Keith walk through the living room to outside.
“Him with the red Puerto Rico shirt and blue jeans. He’s the one that’s been hanging with Keith all day.”
“Oh, Cato? He’s been coming around forever. Don’t you know him?” Seriously, Skye? Would I be asking who the hell he was if I knew that? No, I think not.
“Forever? Then how the hell did we never meet?” Inquiring minds would like to know. I mean I’ve been coming to Skye’s family parties since I was in 2nd grade (age 8) and now I’m in 7th (13).
“How old is he?” If he’s more than two years older he’s a no go zone.
“I think about a year older than us. He’s in the same grade as us though.” Bingo.
I look out the window to see Cato talking to Keith while Odd messed with the broken car on the front yard. Then Cato turns around and walks back up the stairs into the living room. I watch him and smile. He goes down the hall and comes back with a pogo stick. He looks at me and smiles very shy like. Cato has the most alluring eyes I’ve ever seen. They’re a deep cerulean blue and they really stand out against his light tan skin. His black hair is a little long for a guy; it’s at his neck and looks really soft. He’s taller than me (duh who isn’t I’m only 5’2”) and he’s probably got five or six inches on me.
“I’m a get him.” I tell Skye boldly once Cato walks out of the door.
“Oh really?” Skye asks me as she inches closer to the door . “Yup. He’ll be mine.” Then I walk out the door and head straight for Cato.
“Hey.” I tell him, smiling. He looks a little taking aback that I came over to him. I’m not that weird. He mutters a hello then looks at Keith, and back at me.
“I’m Serenity.” I say looking him up and down. Don’t blame me. The guy is hot.
“Cato. So I haven’t seen you before, you know Keith?”
“Well yeah, I mean I’ve been friends with Skye since I was like 5. “
“Huh, weird we’ve never met before.”
“Yup. So what school do you go too?”
“Woodrow.”
“Woodrow?”
“Woodrow.” The reason why I repeat what he says like a parrot is because I’m confused. There is no school in Danbury called Woodrow!
“Where is that?” He must think I’m mentally challenged or something. Curse my inability to learn streets and cities.
“It’s a town about an hour from here.” Oh.
“Oh.” I fell less confused now and more stupid than anything. We continue to talk a little bit more. I’ll ask a question and he’ll answer me awkwardly, but then he’ll fire back a question of his own, so it was pretty fun. He made things a little less weird by making me laugh, a lot. He is such a goof.
After a little while, Skye began chasing Cato around with a plastic bat. I don’t really know why, but it was something to do with one having a muffin top and the other one being dropped on their head one too many times. They continue to argue (playfully though) and that’s how the party goes for a little bit. We head inside to eat and eventually crash in the basement.
By this point Cato and I have flirted most of the time. I’m talking to Cato about something about soccer when Skye pulls me aside. How rude.
“I just realized that I like Cato.” Good thing she’s holding my arm or I might have hurt her. Of course she decided to tell me now, after I spent the whole day flirting with the guy.
“Whatever.” I say slightly pissed having an idea. “We’ll see who’ll get him first then.” I mumble to myself
“What did you say?”
“Nothing.”
“Oh well I think I should go ask Cato who he’ll likes more.” She runs over to Cato who’s now on the pogo stick. He’s jumping up and down. I stand a little further away from them, watching it all play out. I see Skye reach out to grab his shirt, but instead she went to grab him when he jumped up, and. . .
“HEY! What the fuck?!?” Cato yells, getting off the pogo stick, holding himself, and stumbling to get away from Skye.
Yup, Skye grabbed Cato’s stuff.
♠ ♠ ♠
My chapters will most likely be short. Sorry for the long wait, and the third chapter should be up tomorrow.